1. 5,318

Front-page
    maxresdefault (1).jpg

When it comes to the Oculus Quest 2, you can either play your games while wired in to your PC, or you can experience games in a slightly scaled-down form natively on the headset itself, without any wires. This new update, though, lets you play your PC-powered games, wirelessly. Facebook teased the Oculus Air Link, which works similarly to in-home streaming, as you'll be using your computer to run the game, but it'll be streamed directly to the Quest 2 over WiFi. Right now, Air Link is in an experimental form, and will available soon, through the Oculus application.

It's recommended that you have a 5Ghz wireless network, in addition to being within around 20 feet of your router, in order to get the best possible quality. This feature will be added in the v28 update for both the Oculus Quest 2's software and the Oculus PC program, which currently has no set release date beyond "soon". A more solid timeframe will likely be revealed in the Oculus Gaming Showcase next week. That same update will also add 120Hz support for the Quest 2 headset, an increase from the current 90Hz, allowing you to play games at a higher refresh rate, when plugged into your PC through Oculus Link.

:arrow: Source

2. Discussion (72 replies)

3. AlanJohn

AlanJohn くたばれ

Ukraine
    Does this thing still require a facebook account or can it be hacked right out of the box?

4. Engezerstorung

Engezerstorung GBAtemp Regular

France
    reminder that you can already play PCVR wirelessly from both your quest and quest 2 using Virtual Desktop (the version available in the quest store, NOT the steam one, they are different apps)

5. shaunj66

shaunj66 GBAtemp Administrator
    Administrator

United Kingdom
    Quest 2 continues to be the best VR headset which isn't surprising with the weight of Facebook behind it.

The only real competitor at this point will be the PSVR2 which needs to knock it out of the park or be much more affordable, which will be difficult given the Quest 2's already unbeatable value for money.

Still required to my knowledge.

ds34, Scott_pilgrim and TLOZmaster like this.
  6. JFizDaWiz

JFizDaWiz GBAtemp Regular

United States
    required. only bypass I saw was if you had an Oculus account already, which you can't create nowadays.

Scott_pilgrim likes this.
  7. Hero-Link

Hero-Link Hero of Derrr

Portugal
    I bought one earlier this year... and its fricking awesome.

Just make a bogus facebook account if you don't have a facebook account already...

I doubt any other VR headset will come close to the price / quality of the Quest 2. I highly recommend it if you want a VR Headset, being able to play anywhere, PLUS also playing the PC VR Games... its like a switch VR headset.

Scott_pilgrim likes this.
  8. werdy

werdy Member
    Newcomer

Hungary
  9. shaunj66

shaunj66 GBAtemp Administrator
    Administrator

United Kingdom
    If Oculus Air utilises ASW (which it should) then it will be superior in performance to Virtual Desktop which cannot.

DKB, Scott_pilgrim, lordhell and 2 others like this.
  10. jeffyTheHomebrewer

jeffyTheHomebrewer Neato Burrito!

United States
    If it didn't need a facebook account I'd get one ASAP, but for now I'm going Valve Index (+ PC that can handle it) or bust.

felix.200, BlazeMasterBM and yuyuyup like this.
  11. Chary

OP Chary Big cat like
    Chief Editor

United States
    I'm skeptical. I can't get xCloud or steam inhome streaming to work reliably, forget VR where a second of delay would be max barf. Sticking with my CV1 for now.

Scott_pilgrim and Silent_Gunner like this.
  12. jeffyTheHomebrewer

United States
    I haven't tried Steam In-home streaming, but I'm considering testing it out with my new Chromecast. (the new one that uses Android TV)

13. Ottoclav

Ottoclav Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Do you mean I can finally sit in my living room and cast Steam to my Chromecast while my computer sits in my dungeon of a basement? Will this work with any bluetooth controller?

14. shadoom

shadoom GBAtemp Regular

Taiwan
    What about quest 1 owners :(

15. jeffyTheHomebrewer

United States
    Well, if your Chromecast didn't come with a remote, then no. But if it's the new one with the remote, (specifically it's called the Chromecast with Google TV) then yes! To pair a controller, either go to settings > bluetooth > pair new device, OR press the button on the Chromecast (DO NOT HOLD, just press it) and make sure that only the controller you want to pair is visible for pairing, since through the backup button pairing it'll automatically pair in 3 seconds when it finds a device to pair, unlike the settings > bluetooth method.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

OH! I forgot to mention this. if you're pairing a DualShock 4, (PS4 controller) hold (PS) and [SHARE] until the lightbar starts blinking. It'll then just show up as "Wireless Controller" in the bluetooth menu. The touchpad even works as a mouse when paired with the new chromecast!

16. chaosblack954

chaosblack954 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Is there any plans for moonlight Vr? That would be awesome

17. nolimits59

nolimits59 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

France
    Just make a dummy if you don't wanna make one or link yours to it ?

18. Ottoclav

Ottoclav Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    oh, darn, I got the Chromecast that came with the gaming controller. Not suer if that'll work since the controller works over the wifi. Kinda weird really. but I do think bluetooth devices are supposed to link to it, ill dig further into which type I have.

19. GoldenBullet

GoldenBullet That One Guy

United States
    Damn, this is just giving me another reason to go out and get one. I haven’t yet because I know I’d only use it like twice a month

20. BlastedGuy9905

BlastedGuy9905 where's the updated autopsy report

United States
    Can confirm, with Virtual Desktop, an Archer A7 router from TP-Link with OpenWRT installed, connected to my PC with ethernet, on 5GHz Wi-Fi, I get around 40ms latency on VR game streaming. Perfectly playable, maybe a bit disorienting on Beat Saber, but any other game works perfect.
    EDIT: With an Oculus Quest 2
    Also, the CV1 is great too. Don't switch as long as you feel fine with it.

21. lokomelo

lokomelo Edson Arantes do Nascimento

Brazil
    strangely, Instagram does not require a facebook account, but oculus does.

It works, but still think it was an anti-consumer move. It is even against law where I live (not that anyone here is enforcing that law for tech companies anyway).

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - wirelessly, headset, Oculus