Oculess is a new program that lets you use your Quest 2 without a Facebook or Oculus account

When Facebook suffered massive outages earlier this week, it rendered anyone with an Oculus Quest headset unable to play any of their games, as connection to Facebook is mandatory. Enter Oculess, a new sideloadable tool that lets you unlink your headset from your Facebook or Oculus accounts and still use it. In order to sideload anything on the device, you'll need to access Developer Mode, which can be done by giving a phone number or payment details (you won't be charged) to Facebook for verification.

Unlinking the accounts has the side effect of preventing the use of official Oculus apps, such as the Oculus Store or Browser, but the creator of Oculess has created a handy list of alternatives you can use to replace the disabled features. Most importantly, however, is that the hand tracking isn't affected by the removal of Facebook accounts, so games should still run just fine.

:arrow: Oculess GitHub page

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Really liking that some of the stuff recommended is open source. That means both Linux ports are possible and that making it work through WINE should be easier. Once games using EAC (Win) and BattlEye implement Linux support I'll be switching over to Linux with either a small Windows partition or a VM for stuff that won't work through WINE.

AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn. Some good friends of mine spent almost $1000 on a Valve headset because they didn't feel comfortable linking a Facebook account to a Quest 2.... talk about bad timing!

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not looking to upgrade my CV1 but this helps a lot if I ever decide to
I upgraded mine, and don’t regret it. The field of view took some getting used to, because it feels to me like looking through diving goggles. But… it is superior in every other way. The display quality is greatly improved (no screen door effect), and it can do 120hz. You can play all of your Oculus/CV1 games, tethered or not. You can also play the Quest games without a computer, if you choose to buy any.

Reactions: Chary

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Damn. Some good friends of mine spent almost $1000 on a Valve headset because they didn't feel comfortable linking a Facebook account to a Quest 2.... talk about bad timing!
Not really, you get what you pay for. Index has better displays, better lenses, better audio quality, better controllers, etc. The only category Quest 2 wins in is price, but the same could be said for cardboard headsets.

Reactions: Willgheminass

AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really, you get what you pay for. Index has better displays, better lenses, better audio quality, better controllers, etc. The only category Quest 2 wins in is price, but the same could be said for cardboard headsets.
Fair enough. I tried it out today and it's pretty incredible.

Reactions: Xzi

Willgheminass

The Ultimate Pink Lurker
Trophies
Website
rhylnzux.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
I've had my birthday recently and I may just get a quest 2 for this. It will be my first VR experience besides the one I had in my local library with their phone VR setup. I'll still need to save a little more first though.

leerpsp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've had my birthday recently and I may just get a quest 2 for this. It will be my first VR experience besides the one I had in my local library with their phone VR setup. I'll still need to save a little more first though.
Just a heads up a phone VR setup is not real VR and is nothing like it, Real VR is 1,000 times better and way more fun.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/28/business/chocolate-price-increase-easter-holidays/index.html