Octopath Traveler "rogue and noble" trailer

The latest trailer for Square Enix's Octopath Traveler introduces us to two new characters, and explains a new game mechanic. H'aanit is a hunter class, and they can use their special ability to provoke enemies so that you can access paths that previously were not open. The second character, Therion, is classed as a thief, and is able to steal items and weapons from others. These actions can impact how people in towns view you. If you purchase items, or challenge foes in a valiant manner, that's considered a "noble" action. Stealing or tricking people is a "rogue" action, and if you don't pull it off correctly, you can lose reputation in the area, making characters less likely to trust you.

Octopath Traveller launches on July 13, 2018 as a Nintendo Switch exclusive.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Oh man this is shaping up wonderfully. Haters will say it looks like a PSX game, but that aesthetic and music are

VlsWbhm.png

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The game looks great, thought I didn't complete the demo. I don't know what hold me to like it more (maybe a story start?)

I see they said "nintendo account required", you can't play if you don't have one?
it means it's online mandatory and you need to pay to play in September?
I'm sure you can play offline, so why using "required" word? probably only for online services, not the game.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: BvanBart

Lazyboss

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
I never liked the idea of making retro games, it's just a lazy way to make money with low budget games,
but this game looks amazing, the gameplay, the story, the voice acting, the music and the everything in this game looks amazing.

day -3 purchase for me.

D

Deleted User

can anyone explain me whats the story :x
it seems its just a bunch of chosable characters with no real connection :S?
is there any big story behind oder is it just "you play now as character x and play her small non connected story?" :S

i just played the demo a bit (not much to not spoil myself too much)
i liked the gameplay but didnt get any connection between those 2 characters in that time.
nonetheless i just preordered the compendium edition :x

Lazyboss

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
can anyone explain me whats the story :x
it seems its just a bunch of chosable characters with no real connection :S?
is there any big story behind oder is it just "you play now as character x and play her small non connected story?" :S

i just played the demo a bit (not much to not spoil myself too much)
i liked the gameplay but didnt get any connection between those 2 characters in that time.
nonetheless i just preordered the compendium edition :x
Dude it's a demo, do you expect to know the story and what connecting the characters from the demo?

D

Deleted User

Dude it's a demo, do you expect to know the story and what connecting the characters from the demo?
of course not. but it seems theres not a single piece of information regarding the story.
and there should be something right? normally you can at least read where the story is heading to but in this case there s nothing i could find.
and thats odd. there should - at least - be a bit of information.
not even the nintendo website says anything regarding the story ^^
so maybe its a secret or maybe it just doesnt have any story :x
this is not ranting btw. i totally love the music and style of the game but i just hope it wont end up like some other rpgs with bad to none story ...

Last edited by ,

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I'm interested to try, not really a RPG player here but I can dig this, hope is better than that romancing saga 2 i played cause it sure bringing back flashbacks! :blink:
Try the demo, it has the first chapter of 2 characters available. I thought it was perfect for my taste so far, simple mechanics but not boring, cute art style and good music.

Lazyboss

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
of course not. but it seems theres not a single piece of information regarding the story.
and there should be something right? normally you can at least read where the story is heading to but in this case there s nothing i could find.
and thats odd. there should - at least - be a bit of information.
not even the nintendo website says anything regarding the story ^^
so maybe its a secret or maybe it just doesnt have any story :x
this is not ranting btw. i totally love the music and style of the game but i just hope it wont end up like some other rpgs with bad to none story ...
Do you mean the background story, i played the demo with both characters and their story look promising,
unless you mean the story about the world which i don't care about at the start of the game, only matter to me the characters stories, and i had a feeling their stories will be united at one point in the game and that's when the main story will kick in.

Reactions: Deleted User

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As I seen in the YouTube comments, looks like we will have four Noble and four Rogue characters.

I never liked the idea of making retro games, it's just a lazy way to make money with low budget games,
Considering all the good retro-like games out there, going have to disagree. Not to mention, you can be lazy and cheap with non-retro games.

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't get me wrong, I'm super hyped for this and it's a day 1 purchase but.... Silicon studio needs to get working on bravely third gosh dang it.

D

Deleted User

Do you mean the background story, i played the demo with both characters and their story look promising,
unless you mean the story about the world which i don't care about at the start of the game, only matter to me the characters stories, and i had a feeling their stories will be united at one point in the game and that's when the main story will kick in.
Yes - the World story. I guess so could meet them all like in the old som games . I preordered it already... lets hope for the best :)

Reactions: Lazyboss

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over