Octopath Traveler reaches one million sales globally

Octopath Traveler, the Nintendo Switch exclusive RPG from Square-Enix, has reached one million sales worldwide. This figure includes both the physical copies sold, and the downloaded copies from the Nintendo eShop. This makes it the first third-party title on the system to achieve this milestone. This is particularly impressive, considering that the game was released less than a month ago, on the 13th of July.

:arrow:Source
:arrow:List of titles selling over one million

Last edited by Daisy,

Lazyboss

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
I don't like this game after all, in the beginning it was pretty neat, nice graphics, interesting battle system, beautiful music, but after 20+ hours I drop it cause a story is so bland & boring, dialogs predictable, characters uninspired, gameplay is repetitive & there's too much grinding for my taste. I wouldn't put Octopath in my Hall of Fame list.
Same here, I stopped playing after like 20 hours.
I was so excited to play this game as I liked the battle system and the music, but after few hours it become repetitive and the story is super boring, there is no connection between the characters, and this is a very important thing in RPG games.

JimmyCall

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I find the game a bit restrictive and entailed a lot of reading through dialogue boxes and pages, but the battles are fun. It can only get better if companies take note of the sales potential in Switch RPG's.

Daisy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Honestly, I couldn't get like 20 minutes into the demo. Waay too much boring dialogue, unfortunately... Hopefully Square-Enix sees that the Switch is doing well, though, and brings more games over. TWEWY 2..? Please?

Asia81

Yuri Lover ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Same here, I stopped playing after like 20 hours.
I was so excited to play this game as I liked the battle system and the music, but after few hours it become repetitive and the story is super boring, there is no connection between the characters, and this is a very important thing in RPG games.
There is one, as well as many further explanations of the stories.
End all 8 stories and you'll fight the real final boss, very hard to kill.

Last edited by Asia81,
Reactions: RedBlueGreen

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Screenshot_20180803-085657.png

Lazyboss

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
There is one, as well as many further explanations of the stories.
End all 8 stories and you'll fight the real final boss, very hard to kill.
I know about that, but I won't spend another 50 hours to reach that 1 chapter because it's not worth it.

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope Square Enix realizes people like this format and localizes Seiken Densetsu collection so the west can finally play Secret of Mana 3.

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Last edited by RedBlueGreen,

mario5555

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope Square Enix realizes people like this format and localizes Seiken Densetsu collection so the west can finally play Secret of Mana 3.

There's no official translation (they won't use fan work) so this won't happen. Profit vs Effort and SE doesn't see enough $$$ to make it worthwhile.

A note on the sales. The artificial scarcity that came up a few weeks ago immensely helped to drive sales (I was one of them) all over YT everyone was like "it's sold out EVERYWHERE" so people (like me) bought it as fast as they could (I would have preferred waiting for a sale) so that helped drive a lot of the sales in the last few weeks as well.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
At least it proves anyone with RPGmaker and a ton of shitty shaders can make a successful game.
Honestly a fairly mediocre game. Meh writing, generic characters, and a half baked combat system that wishes it was Bravely Default.

I'm actually baffled as to how it has done so well. Usually turn based games are just insta-thrown in the trash, even if they do have good combat. This one doesn't even have that. The graphics bounce between RPGmaker+shaders and an HD minecraft texture pack, also with shaders. None of the characters have any depth, and none even really ever interact. It's pretty clear they fired their writers before the project began.

Hopefully we see less of this garbage, and more actually good jRPGs like Bravely Default/Second.

Reactions: Eddypikachu

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'll have you know this game would have sold even more millions if it had not been for piracy. I have no sources to back up this claim but you'll just have to believe me /s
CONSIDER all TX users pirated this game, so just find about how many TX OS was sold and we can probably figure it out

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And the publishers/developers say no one likes snes style rpgs... Hey indies, looking at you also. Where ya snes jrpgs?

jahrs

Technician of The Dead
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Theres the error in thought tx/sx sold does not equal number of the games that wouldve been bought just the number of people who bought sx/tx stuff for other games.

Im on the ship that states that piracy is more for trying games that lack demos. That way i can try before i buy for example shining resonance refrain had a demo i tried i liked the game and bought it from the eshop. Octopath also did and i tried it and i didnt buy it because it wasnt interesting enough. if more games had more demos thered be less pirates due to post-buyers gaming regrets.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr