Octopath Traveler: Champions of the Continent announced for mobile

Last year's Nintendo Switch exclusive JRPG Octopath Traveler released to rave reviews and critical acclaim. Square Enix appears to be following up its successful game with a prequel, titled Octopath Traveler: Tairiku ni Hasha, or, Champions of the Continent. A short gameplay trailer gives us a look at the game, which appears to be fairly similar to the original, with a few changes made to reflect the somewhat surprising platform shift. Octopath Traveler: Champions of the Continent will be released for iOS and Android, and will be a single player mobile game that tells a story that takes place before Octopath Traveler. Japanese publication Famitsu interviewed Square Enix about the game's reveal, who stated that Champions of the Continent will be a free-to-play title, and will not have any multiplayer elements. though new story content will slowly be added post-launch. A release window of 2019 was given for Japan, with no current confirmation of a western release.

:arrow: Official Site

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Wait, all 8 characters can battle at the same time?
That was the only thing I hated about OT ... having to swap party members all the time. Pretty annoying.
Just allow me to use all 8 at the same time in a DLC.

D

Deleted User

Do you guys not have phones? This is a brilliant idea. Bring the crap RPG we all love and put them on mobile... ehh wtf am I saying. 2019 is doomed with mobile games

Reactions: Deleted-379826

warweeny

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Nobody has to resort to micro transactions on mobile games. Ads make way more money.

Ha, haha, hahahahaha, no.
Microtransactions give WAY bigger sales than ads ever do.

You cannot get 7 billion dollar from ads, no way, not even a 10th of it.

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
every free to play single player game has to be full of them really, or else they dont win any money and no one just offers games away for nothing.
Well, there can be exceptions....it's just that there rare. Delta Rune being an example of an entirely free single player game that has some decent lenght for a free game.

Kraken_X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I play Final Fantasy Brave Exvius which is a mobile gatcha game. Very addictive, but also not very good. The sad thing is that the story, graphics, and especially music of FFBE are top notch and it could have made a great actual FF game if it wasn't a mess of microtransactions and gambling mechanics. The story characters and items are basically worthless compared to the ones you have to pay in-game currency or money for a 1/600 chance to get, but the game is balanced around the paid characters. In a way they are saturating their own market, because FFBE is so time consuming to stay F2P, I wouldn't even try any of their other games.

I'm sure this new mobile Octopath game will pull in more money from the whales than the Switch game ever did, and the executives will kill the series on consoles as a result, just like they did with 2D Final Fantasy. Square hasn't made a good game in-house in many years (except KH3, maybe), and they basically exist as a mobile game company that uses their existing IPs to exploit "whales" who have a gambling problem. It's sad.

Well, there can be exceptions....it's just that there rare. Delta Rune being an example of an entirely free single player game that has some decent lenght for a free game.

Deltarune is partly a thank you to the folks who bought Undertale and also a demo for episode 2, which will not be free.

Last edited by Kraken_X,

Daggot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IIRC they also confirmed that a new console game is in production. My guess is that this is to keep people interested in the Octopath Traveler franchise while they work on the new game.

EDIT: confirmed with

"Everyone waiting for a new game on console, we're sorry, but production will take a little while longer," the Octopath Traveler Twitter account stated. "In the meantime, we hope you can enjoy [the smartphone game]!"

Last edited by Daggot,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: They really wanna get the head