Ocarina of Time - Spaceworld '97 "Experience" released (ROM hack)

boxart.png

A group of enthusiasts known as the sw97-team have attempted to recreate the renowned Ocarina of Time demo that was made playable to attendees of the 1997 Nintendo Space World event.

Using known video footage from the event as well as leaked content from one of the recent Nintendo gigaleaks, the team have today released their project which can either be patched onto an existing compatible ROM file or built from scratch alongside the Ocarina of Time decompilation project.

The project aims to be as faithful to the target demo as possible but as the team have stated - 100% accuracy is impossible. They have compiled a list with more details for those looking for specifics.

You can watch the trailer of the Spaceworld '97 Experience below and follow the links to find out more.

To celebrate both the anniversary of Ocarina of Time and Spaceworld 1997, today we are finally releasing Ocarina of Time - Spaceworld ‘97 Experience! We are very thankful to all of you for patiently waiting through this long development cycle and excited for you to finally experience what we have worked so hard on!

This project aims to be a mostly accurate representation of the Nintendo Spaceworld 1997 demo of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Since this project aims to restore an experience that was originally a demo, it cannot be completed from start-to-finish like the final game. Instead, three gameplay "tours" featured in the original Spaceworld 1997 demo are available to choose from, each showcasing various unique flavors of gameplay.

In early 2021, a 32 MB development cartridge of F-Zero X was discovered and dumped by Forest of Illusion, a well known video game preservationist. F-Zero X is only a 16 MB game, so half of that 32 MB development cartridge should have went unused. As it would turn out, however, something was taking up the extra cartridge space at the end. Upon further inspection, exactly half of a 32 MB Ocarina of Time prototype dating back to 1997 was discovered. It is likely that this cartridge originally held the Ocarina of Time demo showcased at Spaceworld 1997, but the first half was overwritten by F-Zero X afterward when the development cartridge was reused. This extra data, now dubbed the "overdump," provided the basis for this project's conception.

Additionally, the "Gigaleak" that occured in mid-2020 provided both a significant amount of insight and assets that were used within this project.

Areas, dialogue, and most textures come from the F-Zero X overdump. The dialogue was translated from Japanese by GlitterBerri and has been formatted so it will fit within text boxes when using the English font. This translation attempts to be as faithful to the original dialogue as possible.

:arrow: Project GitHub page
:arrow: Release Trailer (YouTube)
:arrow: Source

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
loving oot on the switch, I'm a ways into the forest temple as adult Link. I plan to play through skyward sword next with the skyward sword joycons, but that will be after I make the oled switch my main after hopefully buying a 1TB micro=sd card from Amazon on black Friday. :D

Gamemaster1379

Trophies
Website
1379tech.110mb.com
XP
Country
United States
The credits alone clearly indicate a bunch of time into this, but they even put a lot of nice little easter egg things all the way in the menu. If you wait through the selection menu long enough it has an evening cycle where everything tints red.

Ricken

Searching for the air to breathe~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One nitpicky question: Can we tell this is really how it was back then?
Nobody can know what it felt like to be the people who did the gameplay for the demo, except for those few people themselves
This is nothing more than a faithful recreation (to the best of the ability of the creators)

Reactions: JuanMena

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting. Honestly, though, why recreate a demo? I would be pretty sure that Nintendo has that in an archive somewhere, and if it's on a server, just wait for another dump link on some site like 4chan. Considering what happened last year, it's bound to happen eventually, and then you'll have the actual thing.

Heck, for all we know, with so many ROMs and unreleased content having been dumped in GIGABYTES last year, including N64 ROMs, then it's already available. Did anyone actually take time to sort out all of that content, or did they just do a massive dump all at once? Since there is so much to sort through, who knows?

Reactions: Subtle Demise

loler55

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
found also a prototyp of the luigis mansion club nintendo diorama :)

Attachments

• 249713613_948446375747797_345057845284083286_n.jpg
    249713613_948446375747797_345057845284083286_n.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 76

loler55

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The way the top of the light is broken off makes me think of a printing error
get this from the same guy . these broken light its the reason that ninty sort it out ;) you can see some other differences when you look close enough. you can find infos online about this award 100% legit its like a oskar for games

Attachments

• ggg.jpg
    ggg.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 92
  • gggg.jpg
    gggg.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 86

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/eJV6GaIEgd4?si=ciLPnlhfd7XcrxQn