ROM Hack Ocarina of Time 3D Save Editing Progress

MichiS97

"Leftist snowflake milennial"
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey, I've just started doing some save editing on my OoT3D save file and I thought some of you guys might be interested in my findings.

So here is what I have found out so far:

1. Link's Health:
The overall number of heart containers you have is stored in the offset 42 (heh). Now, one full heart container has the decimal value of 16. So the decimal value in offset 42 will be 48, 30 in hex, when you start a new game, as you'll have 3 heart containers. If you now want to give yourself more heart containers you'd just have to add 16 to the decimal value at 42 or 10 to the hex value. Link's current health is stored in offset 44 and is calculated just the same. Should you have taken some damage and have 2 1/2 hearts health at the moment you saved the hex value at 44 will be 28 or 40 in decimal. Basically, the decimal value for your current health can be calculated with the formula: Number of hearts * 16

2. Rupees:
This is probably the most useful aspect of save editing: maximizing your money. The value for your current number of rupees is stored in the offset 48. This is still WIP though, since I only have started the game just yet and I can't carry more than 99 rupees "legally" anyway. The offset for values bigger than FF/255 probably is 47 though.

3. Various items:
The number of Deku Sticks you currently have is stored in the offset A6, Deku Nuts in A7, Deku Seeds (aka Slingshot ammo) in AC

4. Fixing the checksum:
This step is very important, since you'll end up with a corrupt save file if your edited file doesn't pass the checksum integrity check. The checksum is stored in offsets 14DB and 14DC and is a simple CRC-16 checksum. If you need to recalculate it for your edited save just fill in those two bytes with 00 00 and let your hex editor (I use HxD) calculate the CRC-16 checksum for the entire file. Fill in the result in REVERSED ORDER (if the hex editor stated that the checksum is 12 34 you'd have to enter it as 34 12)

I will update this post with more info as I progress through the game. I'd also greatly appreciate if you could make any contributions or you could also help me very much if you'd send me a completed save file of the game, preferably already decrypted as a save0x.bin file.

I also want to apologize for some wrong technical terms I might have used, I'm still kind of a beginner when it comes to hex editing.

Now if only we could edit the RAM as well...personally, I'd love some Infinite Ammo or "Always have a Fairy in bottle #1" type of cheats :P

Carlo_Taccchetto

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this is like 8 years later, but I'm really really new to hex editing and in OoT3D I did the bottle dupe glitch over the magic beans, but I didn't know I needed to buy 8 more beans, I tried buying more but it wouldn't show up in my inventory, how do I make it so that I can replace the bug bottle to become magic beans using Hex Workshop? And how do I fix the checksum?

MichiS97

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I know this is like 8 years later, but I'm really really new to hex editing and in OoT3D I did the bottle dupe glitch over the magic beans, but I didn't know I needed to buy 8 more beans, I tried buying more but it wouldn't show up in my inventory, how do I make it so that I can replace the bug bottle to become magic beans using Hex Workshop? And how do I fix the checksum?
Hi Carlo, I can definitely help you with this. Can you upload your save file? You need to dump the save with Checkpoint if you're using an actual 3DS

Carlo_Taccchetto

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi Carlo, I can definitely help you with this. Can you upload your save file? You need to dump the save with Checkpoint if you're using an actual 3DS
I use Citra, so it's somewhat easier?
Post automatically merged:

Forgot to say but another problem is that I collected 3 bottles legitimately but I have no idea which one is the dupe bottle, it's one of the bug bottles I mentioned

Attachments

• tLoZ OoT3D save.zip
    909 bytes · Views: 23
Last edited by Carlo_Taccchetto,

MichiS97

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Unfortunately I don't have anything to test this on me right now, but check if this one works.

Attachments

• savemod.zip
    769 bytes · Views: 24

Carlo_Taccchetto

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should have two magic beans right now and I made it so that you can still buy 6 more.
Problem, the magic beans sold out and I only have 5 magic beans total.... I think it's because I think I bought 3-4 magic beans while the duped bottle was over the magic beans thing *forgot to say that I think I planted only one bean?

MichiS97

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Problem, the magic beans sold out and I only have 5 magic beans total.... I think it's because I think I bought 3-4 magic beans while the duped bottle was over the magic beans thing *forgot to say that I think I planted only one bean?
So when loaded my modified save file, you had two, bought three more and now they're sold out?

Carlo_Taccchetto

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So when loaded my modified save file, you had two, bought three more and now they're sold out?
No no, I had bought four (I recounted the magic bean spots) before you modified my save file, and I bought three more after you modified my save file and now they're sold out, I should have a total of 9 magic beans when sold out because I planted one but I bought 4 more unknowingly while the duped bottle was still over the magic beans so I only have a total of 5. So if I'm not stupid I should have 6 before I buy three more magic beans, Sorry in advance....
Post automatically merged:

No no, I had bought four (I recounted the magic bean spots) before you modified my save file, and I bought three more after you modified my save file and now they're sold out, I should have a total of 9 magic beans when sold out but I bought 4 more unknowingly while the duped bottle was still over the magic beans so I only have a total of 5. So if I'm not stupid I should have 6 before I buy three more magic beans, Sorry in advance....
Would it still be possible? or?

Last edited by Carlo_Taccchetto,

Kewz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey! Sorry to bother but i've been looking all over internet for something like this, i recently lost my 100% oot 3d save file, i just want to grab a 100% save file and change links name, is it possible? Can you help me out with this?

MichiS97

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey! Sorry to bother but i've been looking all over internet for something like this, i recently lost my 100% oot 3d save file, i just want to grab a 100% save file and change links name, is it possible? Can you help me out with this?
Definitely. Just send me the save file that you want to have modified

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: