Observations of the GBAtemp grammar fairies

Discussion in 'The Edge of the Forum' started by FAST6191, Jul 31, 2013.

1. FAST6191
    OP

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Unlike most other times you will see this sort of thread on the internet the GBAtemp grammar fairies wish relay the message that good grammar is common in the forums. This is nice on many fronts though the most notable is it quite helps our considerable non native English speaker userbase from having to pick through a mire, slang and such to find the point.
    To that end kudos GBAtemp.

The observations of the day.

' and `
    The former is an apostrophe and the latter is variously known as a grave accent or a backtick and not really used in English, though it is used in several programming languages. Now most of those that make this trifling and easy to make mistake are using the would be apostrophe in the appropriate place* and presumably do not have an English keyboard so pending an analysis of the layouts of different keyboards the criticism is held back slightly. If nothing else sorting it will make your spell checker happier, by the way did you know most good browsers can support several languages and to shift between them, if it does not otherwise remember per site, it can be done with two clicks.

*something they tend to have over a lot of English native speakers. Here is a nice guide from a leading webcomic artist if you are unfamiliar http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apostrophe
    Of special note here for many natives might be it's and its. There are many occasions where either will work but it is not a universal. To spoil the comic if the sentence makes sense with "it is" or "it has" in place of "it's" then you are good, if not go with "its".

i
    Unless you are talking about current, the square root of minus one (and you are not an electrical engineer, they tend to use j for obvious reasons) or one of the many other concepts in science and related fields that i is the symbol for then it probably wants to be capitalised regardless of where it falls in the sentence. Same also applies with the contraction I'm.

Just to add to the comics list http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.co.uk/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html

Keep up the good work GBAtemp.

Veho and EZ-Megaman like this.
  2. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    i dnt car its dumb