Obama ordered wave of computer attacks against Iran, including Stuxnet

• Thread starter Deleted_171835
  • Start date
  • Views 5,934
  • Replies 70
D

Deleted_171835

OP
From his first months in office, President Obama secretly ordered increasingly sophisticated attacks on the computer systems that run Iran’s main nuclear enrichment facilities, significantly expanding America’s first sustained use of cyberweapons, according to participants in the program.

But the good luck did not last (Stuxnet) In the summer of 2010, shortly after a new variant of the worm had been sent into Natanz, it became clear that the worm, which was never supposed to leave the Natanz machines, had broken free, like a zoo animal that found the keys to the cage. It fell to Mr. Panetta and two other crucial players in Olympic Games — General Cartwright, the vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and Michael J. Morell, the deputy director of the C.I.A. — to break the news to Mr. Obama and Mr. Biden.

An error in the code, they said, had led it to spread to an engineer’s computer when it was hooked up to the centrifuges. When the engineer left Natanz and connected the computer to the Internet, the American- and Israeli-made bug failed to recognize that its environment had changed. It began replicating itself all around the world. Suddenly, the code was exposed, though its intent would not be clear, at least to ordinary computer users.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/01/world/middleeast/obama-ordered-wave-of-cyberattacks-against-iran.html

Is this not sufficent enough basis for war?

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
What the average internet-idiot will think: "OMG OBAMA IS HIRING ANONYMOUS TO HACK THE TERRORISTS!!!!! #RETARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Anyways, I knew they ordered cyber attacks but I'm glad to see a lot more information is beginning to come forth, especially 5 pages worth apparently. Well be a good read later today.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
It began replicating itself all around the world. Suddenly, the code was exposed, though its intent would not be clear, at least to ordinary computer users.

Cyberattacks? Self-replicating malware?
One day we'll get killed by our own computers.
it'll evolve into skynet you just wait and see :creep:

Reactions: 1 person

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just so people know, this isn't the first time a government head honcho has ordered something like this. Hell, it happens a lot with dictators and shit always trying stuff. So don't think of Obama as "OMG HE DID WHAT? WHY WOULD HE DO THAT? HE THE ONLY BAD GUY!!! GRRR!" cuz he's not.

Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just so people know, this isn't the first time a government head honcho has ordered something like this. Hell, it happens a lot with dictators and shit always trying stuff. So don't think of Obama as "OMG HE DID WHAT? WHY WOULD HE DO THAT? HE THE ONLY BAD GUY!!! GRRR!" cuz he's not.

He may not be the only one, but that doesn't mean we can justify such act even though other dictators or leaders do such stuff.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

He may not be the only one, but that doesn't mean we can justify such act even though other dictators or leaders do such stuff.
No, you can't. However, I'm sure many governments are experimenting with, or using Cyber Warfare actively without telling the population. In fact, I'm fairly sure the British government is at its forefront with the USA and other powers. On another note, you can't fight something as well without learning its plan of attack first. So, the countries who active use or are assaulted by these cyber attacks will be better suited to warding them off.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm all for it, this basically slows down the nuclear program of Iran with safe ways. Instead of throwing drone attacks towards Iran's Nuclear facility we just use the Internet heck yeah that is awesome. Innocent people don't get hurt, and the nuclear program of Iran slows down.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The source behind the cyberattacks on Iran's nuclear program has been a pretty open secret for some time (same with the "mysterious" car bombing attacks on Iran's nuclear scientists). If Iran was willing, or capable, of going to war over this stuff, it would have sent the troops out a long, long time ago.

Reactions: 2 people

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm all for it, this basically slows down the nuclear program of Iran with safe ways. Instead of throwing drone attacks towards Iran's Nuclear facility we just use the Internet heck yeah that is awesome. Innocent people don't get hurt, and the nuclear program of Iran slows down.
...and what gives them the authority over Iran's nuclear program?

Reactions: 4 people

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Its 'murrica we own errything.
[/sarcasm]

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Defense obviously. Iran is a country that keeps saying it wants American's and Israel's destruction. Its only natural that you would want to secure your country against any threats, not only that but imagine if you had a neighbor that wants you dead what are you going to do about it? Wait until he comes to your doorsteps and kill you? Or take action against it from happening.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Defense obviously. Iran is a country that keeps saying it wants American's and Israel's destruction. Its only natural that you would want to secure your country against any threats, not only that but imagine if you had a neighbor that wants you dead what are you going to do about it? Wait until he comes to your doorsteps and kill you? Or take action against it from happening.
Build an anti-missile infrastructure then rather than attack a country without any proof that they are building any missiles whatsoever. Actually, even if they are, it's still none of your business. What would you do if Korea took action and nuked America's sorry a*s in defense, because y'know - you sort of dethrone dictators lately? Would that be fair? After all, it's prevention.

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only thing I was trying to say that
cyberwarfare>>>>>>real life warfare. Since people don't get killed in this kind of cyberwarfare.
Unless said cyberwarfare suite causes nuclear meltdown and ensuing fallout ala Chernobyl.
Which didn't happen, as the only purpose of this mission was to slow down Iran's nuclear program

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Apply snorgle to pinfor.