• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Obama announces he supports same-sex marriage

smile72

NewsBot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Source:CNN
http://articles.cnn.com/2012-05-09/politics/politics_obama-same-sex-marriage_1_gay-marriage-civil-unions-word-marriage

Now I know this is a couple of days old, but nobody (from what I've seen is discussing this) while I'll agree no president has ever endorsed same sex marriage, his endorsement is pretty much nothing... it's the same shit we have now leave it up to the states......... I'm also posting this due to what Senator Rand Paul said (6000 years of tradition) http://www.latimes.c...0,7525076.story

And what that moron Bristol Palin said http://www.usatoday....iage/54912648/1

She said children do better with a mother and father (where's Levi?)

pixel.gif

Reactions: 1 person

MEGAMANTROTSKY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Obama's "support" of gay marriage is nothing more than a calculated ruse in order to rake in campaign donations at a time when his re-election is on the line.

Reactions: 1 person

smile72

NewsBot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Obama's "support" of gay marriage is nothing more than a calculated ruse in order to rake in campaign donations at a time when his re-election is on the line.
No, I believe he supports it, when he ran for the Illinois Senate he supported it, that was in 1996 I think, but this is as good, as saying I support civil unions, it's garbage.

smile72

NewsBot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country

Bullshit, he's supported same sex marriage since the beginning.
Not really, during his 2008 campaign he was against same sex marriage.

MEGAMANTROTSKY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, I believe he supports it, when he ran for the Illinois Senate he supported it, that was in 1996 I think, but this is as good, as saying I support civil unions, it's garbage.
It's not a question of whether actually supports it or not; on that score I couldn't care less. What I wanted to point out is that his "support" was a display of opportunism (in the case of how many donations he's gotten since), not a genuine appeal for civil rights. An imperialist president who advocates indefinite detention and assassination of US citizens cannot be taken seriously as a beacon for any kind of democratic reform.

Edit: Initial statement was sloppy, had to clarify.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

You see why political people usually keep their mouths shut?

Anyways, it's good he supports it. Everybody deserves love no matter of gender (species maybe an issue, but that's for another day :3). Maybe this will slowly help America move forward into the new world. I'm sorry to the Americans I upset, but you have to admit, America has a lot of problems still.

Reactions: 4 people

freaksloan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its nothing new, he has been for it all the time. He has just been a coward to stand up for what he believes in. He had no choice now, because the idiot VP ran off at the mouth.

Obama has been on record as far back as 1996 as being for same sex marriage.

MEGAMANTROTSKY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its nothing new, he has been for it all the time. He has just been a coward to stand up for what he believes in. He had no choice now, because the idiot VP ran off at the mouth.

Obama has been on record as far back as 1996 as being for same sex marriage.
His support for gay marriage during his presidency has been wishy-washy at best. As smile72 said, he openly came out against it by using the typical conservative trope of defining marriage as between a man and a woman. He has since used his personal "evolution" on the question to garner those supporters who became disillusioned with his continuation of the policies of his predecessor. Obama is cynically pandering to identity politics in order to disguise the anti-democratic policies that he himself has supported all along.

Oh well, I'm done with this. I gotta get to bed.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
America has a lot of problems still.
We're a country that clams to have separation of church and state, but that's clearly a lie if we are still having a debate on gay marriage in the year 2012.
We claim to be free, but have a long history of oppression.
Congress is a joke.
gallery_202697_985_4809.jpg

America needs some real help. What our country really needs is a clear cut division between church and state. Religion should not play any role in government, once that happens America can finally move forward instead of being held back like we are now.

Reactions: 3 people

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Like everyone else in the whole?

Except not everyone else in the world puts on a show that makes it seem like it's the greatest place ever. Like Catboy said, they're still behind a lot of countries in terms of moving forward for humanity basically.

smile72

NewsBot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Like everyone else in the whole?
Our politicians always say how great we are,yet we lack universal healthcare, we actually discuss same sex marriage (instead of it already being legal) people always cite 5000-6000 years of history (if you know what I mean) to deny same sex marriage.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Calculated political move or not, the fact that he is the first president in office to come out and support gay marriage is a pretty significant step forward. Hopefully this will lead to more action by his administration should he receive another term.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel that coming out with this statement may do more harm than good with his re-election. He had said before that he was against it, and to now say he supports it could identify him among voters as a flip-flop.

I'm guessing that's why he placed a lot of emphasis on the "evolving" part of the statement. It would make sense to portray his new conclusion as the result of a long and thought out process, rather than a sudden shift.

To be entirely fair, Mitt Romney has had a record of "flip flopping" on the issue, too. If the GOP tries to paint Obama as a flip flopper, his campaign could just respond by citing those; it would probably come out as a stalemate.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @realtimesave, explain the process