Obama Administration Announces Massive Piracy Crackdown

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by TM2-Megatron, Jun 23, 2010.

1. TM2-Megatron
    OP

Member TM2-Megatron Predacon Commander

Canada
    It's mostly been Canada in the news with regards to digital copyright enforcement measures, but I guess now it's time for the American government to get another turn at bat.

This seems like a horrendously bad move for the Democrats... I have to say, many of Obama's decisions and stances have been dissapointing since he took office... but I guess that's only to be expected, as the politicians who tend to dissapoint the most are usually the ones with so much hype and hope for change surrounding them. Though, in all honesty, I figured he wasn't as left-wing as a lot of people gave him credit for after he said that he believed marriage was only valid between a man and woman. So while this isn't entirely surprising, it's still quite dissapointing.

The more interesting parts are bolded. It's a shame that the current Administration, the RIAA and MPAA can all now be cited as touting the same line of BS. How they can justify criminalizing the bypass of DRM, I have no idea. I know why the industry wants it done (so they can charge people multiple times to have the same media on different devices), but why on Earth can't the government see this for what it is? Why do they go along with it? How do you even enforce that? If you want to rip a movie/CD or dump a DS game which I've legally bought, who are they to say you can't?

I hope this terrible bill gets the response it deserves... Americans really shouldn't sit back and allow the government to pass something that would turn virtually the entire population into criminals. Yes, piracy is wrong; and yes, it should be curbed. But to infringe the fair use rights of consumers (consumers who legally buy the content being pirated) to do so? Sorry, but that's bullshit.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=18815

2. Crimsonclaw111

Member Crimsonclaw111 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Well this fucking sucks [​IMG]

3. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    Violating someone's privacy is obviously something the government has never heard of. I mean, seriously? They look at the things you type in the search bar?

Also, "Piracy hurts, it hurts our economy" is bullshit. Of course, a small percentage of sales is affected, but they should think "If you can't beat them, join them" just for once. If they slightly increase the price of empty discs (CD/DVD/Blu-Ray/etc), the money loss of people pirating on a daily basis is easily solved. Heck, they could even earn more money by doing that.

4. DeltaBurnt

Member DeltaBurnt I'm bored

United States
    Since when has piracy every been a problem to the government? I highly doubt they're doing this for the "sake of the economy". They were probably just tired of Warner Bros. whining about their 2% loss in sales.

Also, really? They're going to bust us just for almost pirating something? That's like immediately putting someone who searches "bomb" on the known terrorist list.

5. Defiance

Member Defiance oh my god.. it's full of trading cards...

United States
    ..Using our tax dollars to hurt us? I just don't know what to say, other than part of me will die if Obama gets reelected..

6. TrapperKeeperX

Member TrapperKeeperX GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I'm a Democrat and I find this very useless and I'm disappointed. I want him to legalize Same Sex Marriages for All 50 States there are more important thing than Massive Piracy Crackdown! Civil Rights issues are bigger than this issue.

7. zachpl

Newcomer zachpl Advanced Member

United States
    He won't get reelected.

8. DeltaBurnt

United States
    If anything this is just an all talk thing to scare pirates. We've had these "scares" happening at-least twice a year now.

9. Crimsonclaw111

United States
    This is a civil rights issue [​IMG]

10. Lushay

Member Lushay GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Lol, how do you stop an almost pirate? That's like bringing the hammer down on someone who looks up the word "pirates" and accidentally winds up staring at a truck load of torrents.

11. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    Imagine what would happen if you searched the term "sex bomb", they would think you are a masochist, a terrorist, a pervert, etc.

12. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Knowing the Republicans nowadays they'll probably go all out against any bill he pushes, and for once I'm thankful for that. And the full Democratic party won't be backing this, I assure you.

Piracy won't kill the economy, even games that get millions of downloads still have great sales.

13. TM2-Megatron
    OP

Member TM2-Megatron Predacon Commander

Canada
    It won't help him get re-elected, though. If he's willing to bow down to lobby groups to this extent, whether just a scare tactic or not, it's going to turn a ton of people away from supporting this administration. And rightfully so, as it only further proves that whether you're talking about Democrat or Republican, neither really give a crap about the average person. And both care more about pleasing their corporate overlords than they do supporting those people who put them in their goddamn office.

14. Crimsonclaw111

United States
    ^Or somebody who types in "facials" and sees...something that isn't related to beauty services.

15. berlinka

Member berlinka You have sustained a lethal injury.

Netherlands
    FUCK! I just typed "Rick Astley torrent" in the Google search bar... Am I already in trouble now?

16. DeltaBurnt

United States
    Something tells me that they don't realize that piracy has been around since computer games and floppy drives have existed.

17. Raika

Member Raika uguu

Antarctica
    Pirates? You should be more worried about Assassins, you silly man.

18. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    And the very first line proves they don't know shit.

Stealing is bad because you deprive the person of what you stole.

When you pirate something, you're making a copy, the original is left alone.
    Nobody is deprived of the original object.

The people making the decisions don't know what's actually going on.

19. hey_suburbia

Member hey_suburbia Do The Lizard Bop

United States
  20. gamefreak94

Member gamefreak94 GBAtemps (Un)Official Illogical Poster

United States
    WHAT!
    They act like we are going to the store or the gaming company themselves, and stealing the games. Piracy does is not stealing its making a copy and getting that copy unlike taking something. I know piracy is bad but this is BS. Obama hasn't done anything he said yet. I guess when he said its time for a change he meant for the worse.