Obama administration and Internet data retention [WSWS]

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by MEGAMANTROTSKY, Feb 2, 2011.

1. MEGAMANTROTSKY
    OP

Member MEGAMANTROTSKY GBAtemp Fan

United States
    http://wsws.org/articles/2011/jan2011/inte-j31.shtml

Yet another demonstration that Obama does not differ even slightly to his predecessor. To speak of the Wall Street bailout and his broken campaign promises regarding the Iraq war would only be redundant at this stage.

2. monkat

Banned monkat I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.

United States
    Yyyyeaaaahhh....okay.

I feel the same way that I felt about that one act........the one everyone got all butthurt over...where they could listen to your phone calls? I forget...

Anyway, I feel the same way as I felt then: apathetic. The only time that the listening would matter would be if you're planning on doing something against the law, and the only time that this will matter are if you're plotting something nasty, or pirating. The latter, of course, being what is going to cause an uproar on this site.

Give me one situation where this would matter other-wise. Seriously.

This is not a threat to freedom of speech - you can speak all you want! You just have to deal with being heard.

3. 431unknown

Member 431unknown Greatness Awaits

United States
    Yeah.. This isn't going to stop any one from doing what they already are doing online right now.

The patriot act didn't bother me and neither will this.

Edit: Here ya go U.S. government retain this.... Kiss My Ass.

4. MEGAMANTROTSKY
    OP

Member MEGAMANTROTSKY GBAtemp Fan

United States
    How about Bradley Manning's detention? You know, the guy who's being tortured in the Quantico brig against his will without ever being charged with anything? It seems that "the law" and what the US state deem as "nasty" is entirely relative in your scenario.

5. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    There is a breach in privacy regardless. I do not want people looking into my stuff good or bad.

Should only be people who actually did something grave to the USA.

6. monkat

Banned monkat I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.

United States
    I dont know about that case, or even heard of it honestly, but what does it have to do with this case?

It's obviously wrong, and he needs to be charged with something, but ISPs keeping logs of internet usage is not equivalent to involuntary and potentially unwarranted inprisonment.

*checks*

He was charged. Look it up.

Regardless, he's in the military. Whatever his superiors tell him to do...he has to listen. [

7. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    Yep.. No charges there!
    Again, I don't like it and I support WikiLeaks/Assange, but he DID break the rules and he IS being charged according to the rules which he broke.

Next time you want to eRage, at least come up with REAL facts and not bullshit.

8. Oveneise

Member Oveneise GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Bleh. Have the ISP's do their job, damn government doesn't need to interfere. -.-

9. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    wouldnt a proxy (fulltime) help? i think thts how ppl are circumventing the 3 warning bans for the internet usage for piracy and similar

10. cwstjdenobs

Member cwstjdenobs Sodomy non sapiens

United Kingdom
    I can sort of agree, but that only works if you trust who is listening. And also something doesn't have to be illegal or even wrong to be life destroyingly embarrassing. There's a couple of things about me I'll happily discuss behind the anonymity of a nick/screen name that if they became common knowledge IRL would destroy my little world completely.

11. GundamXXX

Member GundamXXX Ergo Ego

Australia
    Its not about freedom of speech but its about the fact your freedom of speech can be wrongfully interperted (see the bible, something that has been misinterperted since the beginning)

Also its an invasion of privacy

In combination with privacy I also agree with cwstjdenobs, if you dont trust your government then you might think they will use somethings against you.
    I say things online that people in my real lfie have nothing to do with ESPECIALLY the government since some of it is either a) against them or b) can be used as blackmail and since I suspect of various governments (including western ones) of blackmail Im not comfertable with it.
    Now Im not saying Im important enough to blackmail but its the principle that they can if they want too

12. Terminator02

Member Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

United States
    as someone already said ISPs already do this but it's total bs if this gets passed, it's like the government having a stalker that just follows every person and records what they do and if the government wants they could see anything that you've done

13. gumgod

Member gumgod GBAtemp Regular

United States
    This would matter because now all ISPs are going to have huge databases of their users information and usage data which will no doubt include personal information just sitting there waiting for people to hack into. It will no doubt increase the chance for identity theft and false charges on credit cards. Not to mention that it's an invasion of privacy. It will also likely effect your bill a little bit as all ISPs are going to have to set up new data servers to catalog this information.

14. DJ91990

Member DJ91990 Dark-Type Trainer

United States
    Firstly, I sure hope Obama doesn't have the ONE ZETABYTE(see "ZB" here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zettabyte) HARD DRIVE REQUIRED to store THE OVER ONE MILLION POPULACE OF THE CONTINENTAL UNITED STATES. Lastly, the US Government is just trying to infringe the pirates' wright to pirate. If ye not be a skallywag, ye av notin tae worrie bout! yar ha ha ha har!