Hardware O3DS XL What cables must be connected

Zeffog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hello. I have a non functioning Old 3DS XL, it boots with the blue light but a black screen. I have seen that disconnecting specific ribbon cables could cause this, so I was trying to diagnose my problem before purchasing new parts for it. As i don't have another 3ds on hand i cannot test it myself. Does anyone know what ribbon cables must be attached for the 3ds to boot? It could also be a bad nand but im not sure

Last edited by Zeffog,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hello. I have a non functioning Old 3DS XL, it boots with the blue light but a black screen. I have seen that disconnecting specific ribbon cables could cause this, so I was trying to diagnose my problem before purchasing new parts for it. As i don't have another 3ds on hand i cannot test it myself. Does anyone know what ribbon cables must be attached for the 3ds to boot? It could also be a bad nand but im not sure
If certain ribbon cables are disconnected or damaged, then the console would just turn off immediately.
I don't think there's a situation where it would just cause the console to black screen.
Can you provide some more information? When did it stop working and what were you doing with it at the time?

Zeffog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
If certain ribbon cables are disconnected or damaged, then the console would just turn off immediately.
I don't think there's a situation where it would just cause the console to black screen.
Can you provide some more information? When did it stop working and what were you doing with it at the time?
I bought this console so i do not know what happened with it, they told me it wasn't used for a while and didn't work anymore when they tried. I see no signs of water damage or tampering. It also seems that it is stuck in sleep mode, but recovery mode doesnt launch.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I bought this console so i do not know what happened with it, they told me it wasn't used for a while and didn't work anymore when they tried. I see no signs of water damage or tampering. It also seems that it is stuck in sleep mode, but recovery mode doesnt launch.
If it's stuck in sleep mode it would refuse to boot anyway.
Try holding Start+Select+X+Power for a few seconds as that should be able to let the console boot while in sleep mode. Though it will still enter sleep mode as soon as it boots so you might not even see the difference...
It kind of seems like a brick from a botched CFW install or similar, that's what usually causes a black screen, but based on what you said it doesn't sound like the previous owner did anything like that or they probably would have mentioned it.

Zeffog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
If it's stuck in sleep mode it would refuse to boot anyway.
Try holding Start+Select+X+Power for a few seconds as that should be able to let the console boot while in sleep mode. Though it will still enter sleep mode as soon as it boots so you might not even see the difference...
It kind of seems like a brick from a botched CFW install or similar, that's what usually causes a black screen, but based on what you said it doesn't sound like the previous owner did anything like that or they probably would have mentioned it.
I have tried this, together with NTRboot, once it loads SafeB9SInstaller it crashes and turns off after a few seconds but i see that both screens function.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Bad or unplugged wireless card is a cause, IIRC

But yeah, I would try getting a card flashed with godmode9-ntr and try booting that...

Zeffog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Bad or unplugged wireless card is a cause, IIRC

But yeah, I would try getting a card flashed with godmode9-ntr and try booting that...
How exactly would i get that card flashed with godmode9? I have tried a godmode9 boot.firm but it turns off after a couple seconds aswell.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
How exactly would i get that card flashed with godmode9? I have tried a godmode9 boot.firm but it turns off after a couple seconds aswell.
It's now included in the official download, you have to rename it to the path ntrboot_installer wants :)

Though I'm a lot more towards hardware issue now

Zeffog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
It's now included in the official download, you have to rename it to the path ntrboot_installer wants :)

Though I'm a lot more towards hardware issue now
Thought that aswell, does a 3ds xl start without the wifi board installed?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thought that aswell, does a 3ds xl start without the wifi board installed?
Don't have one anymore to try, but for what I know no Nintendo console since the original DS works without a wireless card (DS/Lite actually had the operating system on there, everything else... lazy programming)

Zeffog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Don't have one anymore to try, but for what I know no Nintendo console since the original DS works without a wireless card (DS/Lite actually had the operating system on there, everything else... lazy programming)
I'm leaning towards it being a motherboard flaw, don't really know what could have happened to it though

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"