1. s1aught3r

OP s1aught3r Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Hi,
    So I bought a 3DS XL from eBay and the seller assured me that there were no issues with the device. It charges just fine, but when the charger is plugged in there is no orange indicator light. I've tried to extensively look this up but I am just running into dead ends. There is nothing else wrong with the device, it boots normally, plays games just fine, connects to the internet, etc. The blue power button works, it also turns red/ blinks. But unless the device is on, I won't know if it's charging or if it's done (even if I know it is charging). The charger works just fine, and I have 3 other 3DS chargers/ 1 DSi charger and they all work fine as well.

Additionally, I wouldn't mind opening the device to tinker with the connection, but I wouldn't know where to start since I can't find anything about it!

Hoping someone could please assist me. My OCD would very much enjoy appreciate it.

2. IC_

IC_ Pending Deletion

Poland
    Sounds like it's just a broken LED or a broken connection to it, if you can open the 3DS then you should try checking the LED with a multimeter in continuity mode or with something else to power the LED.

3. s1aught3r

OP s1aught3r Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Okay, I think my dad has a multimeter I could grab. After I check, how would I go about fixing the broken LED or broken connection to it?

I guess what I am asking is, where could I buy replacement parts for such a specific issue? Thanks for your response.

4. IC_

IC_ Pending Deletion

Poland
    It's probably just some generic orange SMD LED that you can buy in some electronic parts store, but it is tiny and it's very hard to properly solder if you're not experienced with this kind of stuff. At least you'll know what the issue is so you can take it to a professional or some electronics repair shop. Also make sure to check the LED in reverse if it doesn't light up the first time, you should already know that.

If it's a broken connection on the board then it will be much harder to find and fix, and if you're very unlucky the issue could also be with the integrated circuit that's responsible for turning on the LED, at that point it would probably be easier and cheaper to replace the entire motherboard.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - indicator, charges, Orange