O3DS XL Circle Pad has a lot of friction

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by legofan623, Oct 18, 2015.

1. legofan623
    OP

legofan623 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 3, 2011
    United States
    Puyallup, WA
    I just got an o3DS XL, and the circle Pad has way more friction to it than my 2DS. I looked closely and it looks like there is nothing in-between the rubber pad and the XL's shell, so I know that that's where the problem lies. My 2DS's rubber pad sits elevated from the shell somehow, and I noticed that if I pry the rubber pad just a bit on the XL, it gets that elevation that my 2DS has and it moves perfect. However, the instant I apply downward pressure, it gets pushed back down again. I'm thinking that I could cut a tiny plastic circle with a hole in the middle to act as a washer, but I don't believe that I can safely get the rubber pad off without breaking it (correct me if I'm wrong). So what should I do, besides replacing the entire assembly?

2. SmileCitrus

SmileCitrus GBAtemp Regular

Mar 29, 2009
    United States
    Did you buy the console used? if so, you should probably just replace the rubber thumbstick. They get worn down so the grey rubber piece rubs up against the housing, causing the friction you describe. I think the washer idea you suggested would probably work, but I don't know how to pry the grey rubber part off of the stick and then reattach it. It's connected with a bit of adhesive. You can get the replacement part for about $4, so if you ask me it's not worth the effort of trying to fix the original.

3. legofan623
    OP

legofan623 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 3, 2011
    United States
    Puyallup, WA
    Yeah, it was preowned. I was hoping for a DIY fix, but for $4 I'll just do that. Thanks for the help!

4. X_Frost

X_Frost GBAtemp Regular

Aug 30, 2011
    United States
    My friend had the same issue, I got him a third party slider (hard plastic without rubber) and it seems to work fine for.

5. legofan623
    OP

legofan623 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 3, 2011
    United States
    Puyallup, WA
    Thats not a bad idea, no rubber no friction. If the replacement I ordered doesn't help I'll try this.

6. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
  7. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    They get worn over time, I noticed when I got a n3DS that the circle pad was a lot smoother, but it's now starting to become gritty like my o3DS XL.

8. X_Frost

X_Frost GBAtemp Regular

Aug 30, 2011
    United States
    cvskid likes this.
  9. legofan623
    OP

legofan623 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 3, 2011
    United States
    Puyallup, WA
    Well, I fixed it. I just took a REALLY tiny wad of paper and put it in the pad's hole (insert anal joke here). It's now stuck in the elevated position permanently, thus making for a nice smooth ride B-).

I am a bit pissed that I already bought a replacement stick though :glare:.

10. sweis12

sweis12 GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 20, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Atleast replacing it is better than a temporary fix.

11. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    I got a 3dsxl that had a rough slider from day1.
    On the other hand my launch day 3ds is still butter smooth.

12. legofan623
    OP

legofan623 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 3, 2011
    United States
    Puyallup, WA
    Yeah I did eventually put the newer one in anyway.