Hardware o3DS - "Write-protection is enabled on the SD Card."

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I picked up a half-broken o3DS this week for the purpose of downgrading other systems. The cart reader is broken, which I knew about in advance; it should be compatible with Browserhax, so I don't need a cart slot. However, every time I've tried to insert an SD card I get an error saying write protection is enabled. Clearly, it's not, as I haven't moved the switch, and the error pops up with multiple cards that work fine in a 2DS and Wii U.

I would assume the SD reader is broken, but does anyone have quick tips on fixing it rather than replacing it? Replacement parts are cheap, and should only take a couple hours to swap in, but I'd hoped to be able to get this done over the weekend. Unless there's a tool for dumping NAND over the network I can't imagine I'm gonna get real far as-is.

Luckkill4u

4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I picked up a half-broken o3DS this week for the purpose of downgrading other systems. The cart reader is broken, which I knew about in advance; it should be compatible with Browserhax, so I don't need a cart slot. However, every time I've tried to insert an SD card I get an error saying write protection is enabled. Clearly, it's not, as I haven't moved the switch, and the error pops up with multiple cards that work fine in a 2DS and Wii U.

I would assume the SD reader is broken, but does anyone have quick tips on fixing it rather than replacing it? Replacement parts are cheap, and should only take a couple hours to swap in, but I'd hoped to be able to get this done over the weekend. Unless there's a tool for dumping NAND over the network I can't imagine I'm gonna get real far as-is.
backup sd card and format it again. One of my micro sd's was stuck in write protected mode and that fixed it.

NekoMichi

Retro Collector
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I encountered the exact same issue on a secondhand unit. It looks like the write protection pin inside the SD slot is damaged or distorted and not properly making a connection. You can open up the console and use a pair of tweezers to carefully twist and bend the pin back into position so that it touches the correct contact point, which should allow the SD card to be used properly.

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On a whim, I tried the old tape-over-the-switch trick with an older card... and the fucker worked fine. Guess it is just the write-protect pin/switch mechanism on the board. Definitely gonna look into fixing that rather than buying a whole new board. Thanks for the suggestion.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Definitely gonna look into fixing that rather than buying a whole new board. Thanks for the suggestion.
Just solder the 2 dedicated pins for the switch together (will appear as extra pins coming from the card slot, on one side and much closer than the regular ones)

You'll only miss achievement 5 in 3ds camera & sound that can be obtained with save hacking anyways... :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: c