Hacking O3ds with B9S + Luma - safe to update 11.5?

sangweb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,
Been out of the game for a while and just got the O3DS installed B9S & Luma CFW. It was on 11.0.0-33U. Is it ok to update it to the latest? what if I need to go back as the 11.5 cannot run CFW. Sorry feel like a newbie but I wasn't sure if I should update or not. Thanks.

CrispyYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're running Luma3DS, it is safe to update your sysNAND to 11.5.
Oh not necessarily: You need a9lh or b9s, too. One can still boot (an older version of) Luma from Menuhax, MSET, Browserhax on 9.x, or even (an older version of) safehax, the last of these very possible if someone were to follow an outdated guide

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh not necessarily: You need a9lh or b9s, too. One can still boot (an older version of) Luma from Menuhax, MSET, Browserhax on 9.x, or even (an older version of) safehax, the last of these very possible if someone were to follow an outdated guide
If one is using a method other than B9S or A9LH to launch Luma3DS, then he or she is very likely using emuNAND. But, everything you said is correct.

sangweb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is my situation, my fw is 11.0 & I am currently using gateway 3ds on a 128gb sd card. I have installed b9s & luma so far so good. I have also configure it to boot up gateway but it is using sys nand. I want to use emunand but not sure how am I go about doing this. Should I use gateway to create emu as before or is it different in luma? I like to separate the Nand as gateway only run up to 11.2. What is the capacity that the 3ds allow the number of cia games? Is this dependent of the sd card" TIA.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is my situation, my fw is 11.0 & I am currently using gateway 3ds on a 128gb sd card. I have installed b9s & luma so far so good. I have also configure it to boot up gateway but it is using sys nand. I want to use emunand but not sure how am I go about doing this. Should I use gateway to create emu as before or is it different in luma? I like to separate the Nand as gateway only run up to 11.2. What is the capacity that the 3ds allow the number of cia games? Is this dependent of the sd card" TIA.
It is recommended that you backup your Gateway save files, move to Luma3DS, and ditch Gateway completely. Running Gateway on the sysNAND runs the likelihood of removing B9S.

sangweb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is recommended that you backup your Gateway save files, move to Luma3DS, and ditch Gateway completely. Running Gateway on the sysNAND runs the likelihood of removing B9S.
I understand this so I just use Luma3DS which is CIA format only correct and are # of the games depends on the sd card inserted to the 3ds?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Back up your SD card and create an emuNAND from the GW menu before you update your sysNAND in Luma. From then on, make sure you never boot GW in sysNAND mode as it's reported to cause B9S to be wiped on newer firmwares.
I understand this so I just use Luma3DS which is CIA format only correct and are # of the games depends on the sd card inserted to the 3ds?
Yes. And if you want to convert your .3DS saves to .CIA you can use this tool to make it easier: https://gbatemp.net/threads/gateway-save-export-helper.465503/

sangweb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for all the responses. I got it working now, here's what I've done.
  • Install b9s & luma (no update firmware, remain at 11.0)
  • copy all my files from sd to PC
  • bootup lum and format sd card create a full version of Emunand and select GW option
  • copy all the files previously back to SD card as format wiped out all the data
  • start 3ds test out the firmware, you should see System 11.0 in setup
  • start 3ds with gateway, you should see GW in system 11 in the setup
  • now boot back to system nand and update to latest fw
  • you are now good to go, gateway will remain as 11 while system fw will be latest
I will be moving my games to system one by one to ensure all my saves are migrated before completely abandon GW.

Reactions: Lacius

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."