Hardware O3DS Top Screen Repairment Hardmod

Lunares

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm making this thread to ask if any hardmodders who have time on their hands can repair my original 3ds' XL top screens' connector cable which snapped from simple opening and closing. I want to see if anyone can repair it, only it and the green wire alongside it snapped in the process, and I still have both pieces if they can be connected again, or if it needs a brand new replacement part. Thank you in advance.

Lunares

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Additional question for those of you that know: A green cable alongside the LCD connector snapped, would anyone know what it is called/what effect does it do to the 3DS Screen, because if it is unimportant please tell me so I may disregard it :)

SmileCitrus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The green cable is for the WiFi antenna. The system will still work if you don't replace it, but you won't be able to connect to any WiFi networks.

Lunares

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you, if I buy one of these, will I be able to replace it and attach it to where its supposed to go? Once I can I'll be trying a system transfer, does being able to use wifi affect that?

SmileCitrus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sure. You can't really fix the torn ribbon cable, but you can replace the entire LCD and the WiFi antenna. If you're going to do the repair yourself you should replace both the upper LCD and the WiFi antenna at the same time, so you don't have to disassemble the console twice. You can basically follow this guide for replacing the upper LCD, since the disassembly process is mostly the same for both parts.

But if you're going to take it to a repair shop or use a repair service online, you may want to hold off on buying the parts, since the repair person may already have them. Any repair involving the top half of the console can be very tricky if you've never done it before, so you may want to just pay someone to do it for you.

Last edited by SmileCitrus,
Reactions: Lunares

Lunares

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sure. You can't really fix the torn ribbon cable, but you can replace the entire LCD and the WiFi antenna. If you're going to do the repair yourself you should replace both the upper LCD and the WiFi antenna at the same time, so you don't have to disassemble the console twice. You can basically follow this guide for replacing the upper LCD, since the disassembly process is mostly the same for both parts.

But if you're going to take it to a repair shop or use a repair service online, you may want to hold off on buying the parts, since the repair person may already have them. Any repair involving the top half of the console can be very tricky if you've never done it before, so you may want to just pay someone to do it for you.

Ok, thank you so much Smile, and for my final question, do you recommend any online shops that will repair it and might have the parts in advance?

SmileCitrus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, I'm sorry, I don't have any firsthand experience with online repair services, so I can't recommend any. There are some 3DS repair services on eBay, but I've never used any of them.

If you haven't already opened it up though Nintendo might actually fix it if you pay for the repair.

Lunares

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, I'm sorry, I don't have any firsthand experience with online repair services, so I can't recommend any. There are some 3DS repair services on eBay, but I've never used any of them.

If you haven't already opened it up though Nintendo might actually fix it if you pay for the repair.

I've done some extensive modification to my 3DS such as 9.2 sysnand with FBI and Title manager on the home menu (without sd card in iirc) and if they update it, i wont be able to downgrade again. Is there a way I can send it in without them opening and updating the console/not repairing it due to hacking? If not, I'll work on it and fix it my self since I cant find anyone. Again, thank you for all your help.

tigerfrost

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This is slightly more tricky to replace as you have snapped the wifi cable and a ribbon you will have to dismantle the entire 3ds top screen to remove the defective parts.. there are 3 ribbons that loop through the hinge that are extremely difficult to work with as they are manufactured with machines its is very trying to use your hands. I would in your instance look for another 3ds that has a broken bottom screen and transfer your working motherboard and screen to the donor is the easiest option.

Lunares

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as I remember it only uses precision phillips screwdrivers. I've done some repairs to 3DSes before.

Alright, I'll see if I can find it.

This is slightly more tricky to replace as you have snapped the wifi cable and a ribbon you will have to dismantle the entire 3ds top screen to remove the defective parts.. there are 3 ribbons that loop through the hinge that are extremely difficult to work with as they are manufactured with machines its is very trying to use your hands. I would in your instance look for another 3ds that has a broken bottom screen and transfer your working motherboard and screen to the donor is the easiest option.

Are the "3 ribbons" all the 3DS top screen connector or 3 seperate parts entirely? So its impossible to use my hands/ tweezers at all? And where would I find a broken 3ds bottom screen donor online, if you know of some?

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Are the "3 ribbons" all the 3DS top screen connector or 3 seperate parts entirely? So its impossible to use my hands/ tweezers at all? And where would I find a broken 3ds bottom screen donor online, if you know of some?
eBay is your friend when it comes to finding parts/donor systems.

Reactions: tigerfrost

tigerfrost

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

They are 3 separate ribbons, they connect to the motherboard 1 on the top and 2 on the bottom. I would not recommend tweezers in the slightest as the cables are fragile and will become defective just by looking at them haha. your best bet is to look for a broken 3ds on ebay with a smashed bottom screen you can then swap out the motherboard and screen for your one, you will see the 3ds has a lot of small ribbons and small clips that can easily be broken. Be very very careful when working on them :)

Lunares

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
eBay is your friend when it comes to finding parts/donor systems.

Do you know a "string" of words I can search? I just come up with replacement parts.

They are 3 separate ribbons, they connect to the motherboard 1 on the top and 2 on the bottom. I would not recommend tweezers in the slightest as the cables are fragile and will become defective just by looking at them haha. your best bet is to look for a broken 3ds on ebay with a smashed bottom screen you can then swap out the motherboard and screen for your one, you will see the 3ds has a lot of small ribbons and small clips that can easily be broken. Be very very careful when working on them :)

Oh ok, do you know an average price range I'd be looking for? The ribbons are very fragile huh? Noted :) I'll try, but if I cant find anything, I'll be sending it to someone or just getting a top screen, thank you for your help. (Side note: Moving my stuff to another bottom screen 3DS is easier in the long run, correct?)

tigerfrost

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Do you know a "string" of words I can search? I just come up with replacement parts.

Oh ok, do you know an average price range I'd be looking for? The ribbons are very fragile huh? Noted :) I'll try, but if I cant find anything, I'll be sending it to someone or just getting a top screen, thank you for your help. (Side note: Moving my stuff to another bottom screen 3DS is easier in the long run, correct?)

You have a couple of options,

1.either attempt to fix it yourself ( only do this if you are comfortable with electronics)

2. Sell as faulty, and put the money towards another 3ds .

-------------

If your going for the fix then you would have to search ebay for the key words "3ds" and then filter to consoles. Then you can sort them into price order and look for possible donor units, you would have to be quick as there are a lot of people out there hunting for this stuff.

Or you could buy the individual parts and prep yourself for a good 4 hours of electronic fix or fail.

You have options just explore them. :)

Lunares

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have a couple of options,

1.either attempt to fix it yourself ( only do this if you are comfortable with electronics)

2. Sell as faulty, and put the money towards another 3ds .

-------------

If your going for the fix then you would have to search ebay for the key words "3ds" and then filter to consoles. Then you can sort them into price order and look for possible donor units, you would have to be quick as there are a lot of people out there hunting for this stuff.

Or you could buy the individual parts and prep yourself for a good 4 hours of electronic fix or fail.

You have options just explore them. :)

I've decided. I'm going to send it in to a repair service. I'll look at the filtered 3DS to steel my nerves as a backup plan if I go back and fix it myself. I'll keep a look out for donor units, I've found a few good ones so far :) . Although I think I'm good with electronics, I'm just not skilled enough yet to do this on my own :( . Even though, this has been a great learning experience! I've learned about the parts, so thank you SmileCitrus, Monty Kensicle, nero99, and tiger frost. You've been a huge help. Final thing: This is the service I'm going to send it to, do they look trustworthy? : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fix-Broken-...094165?hash=item232b1bbf95:g:3vYAAOxyQyJRlofg and in their list of services does it look like they cover my problem?

Last edited by Lunares,

tigerfrost

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've decided. I'm going to send it in to a repair service. I'll look at the filtered 3DS to steel my nerves as a backup plan if I go back and fix it myself. I'll keep a look out for donor units, I've found a few good ones so far :) . Although I think I'm good with electronics, I'm just not skilled enough yet to do this on my own :( . Even though, this has been a great learning experience! I've learned about the parts, so thank you SmileCitrus, Monty Kensicle, nero99, and tiger frost. You've been a huge help. Final thing: This is the service I'm going to send it to, do they look trustworthy? : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fix-Broken-...094165?hash=item232b1bbf95:g:3vYAAOxyQyJRlofg and in their list of services does it look like they cover my problem?

No problems ! - 100% positive feedback is good indication, i would make a not of the serial number on your 3ds before you send, don't want a different one back without you knowing.
Make sure you get and address and phone number too and post your update on the thread when its back home with you.

Lunares

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No problems ! - 100% positive feedback is good indication, i would make a not of the serial number on your 3ds before you send, don't want a different one back without you knowing.
Make sure you get and address and phone number too and post your update on the thread when its back home with you.

Another Nintendo fail is that the serial number rubbed off very quickly after I first got my 3DS, haha, any other way to identify and make sure its the same, I have the number saved in my game notes, but thats on my 3DS unfortunately... I'll get all their details, thanks! I'll post a review of their services so all the other members may know!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I hate myself