Hardware o3DS repair sorta gone wrong, the outer cameras give me a black screen

FabulousFalchion

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I assume I didn't connect something correctly, but my inner camera works fine. Its simply the 2 outer ones on an original 3DS. I took this thing apart top and bottom, so yes assume it could be multiple things, but other than that, everything else works flawlessly. Where are the places I should check for the outer cameras not working?

dg_dex

Trophies
XP
Country
I believe the ribbon cables routed around the back of the screen are for the outer cameras. I would check that those are not torn. If they aren't, I would make sure that all ribbons are fully inserted correctly into there corresponding ports.

FabulousFalchion

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe the ribbon cables routed around the back of the screen are for the outer cameras. I would check that those are not torn. If they aren't, I would make sure that all ribbons are fully inserted correctly into there corresponding ports.

Thank you, could you show me exactly which ribbon cable goes where on that little board with the 2 pins?

dg_dex

Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, so the front and rear cameras are all connected on one block which ends in 1 ribbon. The ribbon should go through the hinge along with the screen ribbon. Those should be connected to the ports on your motherboard. If your front camera works but your outer ones don't. You will need to check for tears in the ribbon. If there's no tears. Check the motherboard port. You may of snapped off one of the legs inside the port. If not, then either the outer cameras are failing or there's a fault on the actual motherboard somewhere.

v1Ie3BkpBYkCOeaP.huge

Last edited by dg_dex,
Reactions: FabulousFalchion

FabulousFalchion

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so the front and rear cameras are all connected on one block which ends in 1 ribbon. The ribbon should go through the hinge along with the screen ribbon. Those should be connected to the ports on your motherboard. If your front camera works but your outer ones don't. You will need to check for tears in the ribbon. If there's no tears. Check the motherboard port. You may of snapped off one of the legs inside the port. If not, then either the outer cameras are failing or there's a fault on the actual motherboard somewhere.

v1Ie3BkpBYkCOeaP.huge

ahh thank you, I did find that a tiny bit of my ribbon cable did rip. I most likely won't replace it, seeing as how I barely use this old 3DS, and I'm not exactly about to take some snaps with it, as well as I have a n3DSXL i always use anyway, but thank you! I'll replace it sometime later if I get around to it, good to know! c: Do you know how hard it would be to twist the wire around and get it to the bottom of the console through that hinge?

Reactions: dg_dex

dg_dex

Trophies
XP
Country
ahh thank you, I did find that a tiny bit of my ribbon cable did rip. I most likely won't replace it, seeing as how I barely use this old 3DS, and I'm not exactly about to take some snaps with it, as well as I have a n3DSXL i always use anyway, but thank you! I'll replace it sometime later if I get around to it, good to know! c: Do you know how hard it would be to twist the wire around and get it to the bottom of the console through that hinge?

If you mean the ribbon. Yes, it's not the easiest process in the world. I did it once and never again. I used a plastic mobile pick tool to wrap the ribbon tightly. I used sellotape to hold the ribbon in place against the tool. From there I managed to somehow poke the ribbon back through the hinge. It was incredibly frustrating, but worth the effort in the end. I envy the members on here that replace there screens with the IPS screens. More power to them. Ask the members in the IPS screen swap thread on how they get the ribbons through the hinge. They probably have a much easier way to do it over the way I did it.

FabulousFalchion

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you mean the ribbon. Yes, it's not the easiest process in the world. I did it once and never again. I used a plastic mobile pick tool to wrap the ribbon tightly. I used sellotape to hold the ribbon in place against the tool. From there I managed to somehow poke the ribbon back through the hinge. It was incredibly frustrating, but worth the effort in the end. I envy the members on here that replace there screens with the IPS screens. More power to them. Ask the members in the IPS screen swap thread on how they get the ribbons through the hinge. They probably have a much easier way to do it over the way I did it.

Thanks, I will!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse