O3DS, 4.5 sysnand, GW 3.6.2, 11.2 emunand: how do I install CIA files to emunand?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by jimbo11, Nov 22, 2016.

1. jimbo11
    OP

jimbo11 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    edit: whoops, I meant GW 3.7.2

So I got on the GW bandwagon extremely early, and have been plugging along the same way since. Only just heard about CIAs, their ability to play online without needing to hack in new headers, etc., and am trying to figure out how to use them. I tried to install a CIA, and it showed up in the system menu (on both sysnand and emunand) but when I unwrapped the present and then tried to launch it just gave me the endless Nintendo 3DS scene with the pulsing red boxes and whatnot.

I've got a 16GB SD in the 3DS slot and a 32GB ExFAT microSD in the GW card. I've copied my CIA files onto the 16GB SD, and am using devmenu.3ds, launched through emunand, to install the CIA files.

So...what do I do now? Or what have I done wrong?

Last edited by jimbo11, Nov 22, 2016
  2. McWhiters9511

McWhiters9511 That's Rad Bro

Mar 28, 2016
    United States
    Space
    make sure to unlink nands by formatting one. this should prevent the cia from installing in sysnand. also launch the game in emunand. they will most likely give you inf boot on 4.3 sysnand

3. jimbo11
    OP

jimbo11 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    Inf boot? Not sure what that means.

And yeah, I'm going to launch it in emunand for sure, I never do anything in sysnand cause I want to keep that sweet 4.5 untouched.

To unlink nands, you mean go into gateway menu and format my emunand? Wouldn't I have to reinstall 11.2 and all that then, in that case? I don't think there's anything in particular on my emunand which I need to keep around but seems like a lot of work :-P Also, I never did anything to link the two to begin with, and I read something in some post somewhere that made it sound to me like my nands were already unlinked.

4. McWhiters9511

Mar 28, 2016
    United States
    Space
    inf boot=infinite boot like you described on your game with the 3ds screen. you can go into system settings and format from there on sysnand and that should unlink them. formatting each the same amount of times or not formating either can have them linked. formatting sysnand again should unlink them. it should not hurt sysnand and will keep emunand safe and sound like usual.

5. jimbo11
    OP

jimbo11 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    So formatting my sysnand would result in my 3ds remaining on 4.5? I really don't wanna mess with my sysnand cause even though I know the state of things has moved past requiring 4.5, I'm just comfortable with it as is...

Maybe I'll try backing up my emunand and then formatting it instead. If installing through FBI (which is what I'm trying now) ends up not working.

6. McWhiters9511

Mar 28, 2016
    United States
    Space
    nands cant be restored through fbi only stuff through like decrypt9. a format should not update a system

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

also make sure to back up your sd card as the data may be wiped

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutoria...d-emunand-and-eshop-working-correctly.378275/

7. jimbo11
    OP

jimbo11 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    I managed to install FBI.cia onto emunand and launch it. But when I tried to install a large, recently-released and popular game, it gave me an error (I think it said error type: "Permanent (27)" though I may have that number wrong).

FBI does show up on sysnand's home menu though. So I guess that means they're linked?

8. jimbo11
    OP

jimbo11 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    Now I've managed to install the aforementioned game from cia, it's on the home screen (of both sysnand and emunand), it gets past the 3DS screen with the pulsing red squares, but then it goes to a black screen and nothing happens and has to be restarted by holding down the power button. So, progress I guess, but still not working....

9. jimbo11
    OP

jimbo11 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    McWhiters9511 likes this.
  10. jimbo11
    OP

jimbo11 Member

Newcomer