O' what to do with my son's wii chip or not to chip?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by masher, Jun 1, 2009.

1. masher
    OP

Newcomer masher Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Hi,

I have read a lot about the nintendo wii, and hardware modifications and software modifications, and if i be totally honest, i am more confused as when i started out, the situation i have is my Son(5 Years old) has a wii we have bought him although he wont be getting it till his birthday. What i was going to do is get the console modified with a wiikey 2 . But i am reading so many people bricking there consoles with and without these chips that i am a little concerned. To cut a long story short, all i want him to be able to do is get a disk and load it in the wii without any worrying of any updates and the game play. i will only burn some the games for our region and not outside of my region so i dont have any worrys about him bricking it via a update from a outside region, am i being too over paranoid? And is that the way to go just chip it and he will be able to just load the dvd's....i guess i am getting confused with homebrew and chipping.

2. supermodchips

Member supermodchips GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    If you are simply playing backups from your region, just get a mod-chip. It is so much easier to manage and you can update as it cannot block a hard-modded wii, un;like when it is being soft-modded.

3. masher
    OP

United Kingdom
    lovely, thanks for the reply. No i wont bother risking getting games for another region, i guess i am getting confused with all these people with the homebrew channel messing up there wii's and so on and so forth?!

Posts merged

lovely, thanks for the reply. No i wont bother risking getting games for another region, i guess i am getting confused with all these people with the homebrew channel messing up there wii's and so on and so forth?!

4. Joey Ravn

Member Joey Ravn F*** you, Nintendo!

Spain
    Eh, what? That's a bold claim you're making. In the UTTERLY EXTREMELY rare case the HBC "messes up" someone's Wii, it's because the one who installed it had no idea what he was doing. Installing the HBC is easy and completely safe.

5. kedest

Member kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    Just install preloader and let it block updates on disc. Then there will be no risks at all
    Or remove the update from the iso before burning

6. masher
    OP

United Kingdom
    I am totally new to this, so the statement is made due to the fact that if you do a simple search on homebrew\ softmodded "brick" you are presented with pages and and pages of posts on this forum with yes people probally like myself
    that dont know what they are doing messing up with there wii's my point is, i just need a solution where my son
    puts in a disk and it plays, thats it... from reading the forums it seems many people "may not" know what they are
    doing and are messing up there console.

7. 9th_Sage

Member 9th_Sage GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I just think that all he's trying to say is that most of these issues aren't caused by the Homebrew Channel itself, but more like people doing foolish things while installing mods that you can install using the HBC. Most of the time I think these things happen because people jump into something before they even know what it is they are doing.

8. GHBAimen

Member GHBAimen GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    Masher, just get a modchip and don't do more. I recommend that you don't install hacks or anything. Just get a modchip, get (download) games in your region and have fun. If there is a update want to update your Wii, just update then! [​IMG] Without hacks and just modchip, everything's fine! [​IMG]

EDIT: And when you get "backups", it's PAL if you are from England. The region is PAL!

9. afnuke

Member afnuke GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I will have to agree with the modchip....I had one that had HBC on it and he is wrong, theres always some new ios junk you need, in the two months I had it, I never had any out of region games and still things like the 001 and 002 errors came up. There will be updates, which I just get them from my disk now with the mod. I did like HBC....but it is time consuming ever once in a while and you will always have to be aware that it might get blocked later. My new wii, I had a mod that just plugged in and my friends and I have tested over 100 games on it now.....it is better than HBC, Ive never had to set anything....just push the disk in and play. Really, how much easier can that be. Oh, and I have a xenowii version 2 (generic drivekey) and I had that silver cable inside my new wii.........doesnt make no difference. When I ran HBC I had problems with games studdering.....maybe about a dozen from time to time......now its just two, and its not during gameplay, and only brief.

10. masher
    OP

United Kingdom
    afnuke,

Many thanks for that, it makes me feel a lot better, although probally another stupid question, i read that people still install homebrew after adding a chip, is that coz they wish to run emulators and do otherthings rather than just play games?
    As to be honest, as you said the best bet is to chip and let him put the disks in the wrong way round and break it that way! [​IMG]

Again, thank you all for your helps.

M

11. Nerdii

Banned Nerdii Banned

Australia
    I recommend getting a DriveKey modchip instead of a Wiikey!

Simply because:

1. Easier to install
    and
    2. Built-In Config Disk

Just check out the DriveKey review in the reviews section!

12. kedest

Member kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    Drivekey is limited to 3x reading speed. In some games, that will cause noticable issues.

13. masher
    OP

United Kingdom
    as i am not doing it myself, and it would be under warranty with the chipper for 12 months i am just going to get it chipped, wouldnt mind messing around with a wii if i was confident i could put a drivekey in [​IMG]