Hacking NYKO Wing

Rosetta06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I posted this a bit back but lost the post, but does anyone else want support for NYKO wireless wings for homebrew (Emulators)

I have heard through the grapevine that the main fella behind the GX Emulators is not interested as he does not own any of these products and since does not care to make it compatible.

Please, tell the homebrew guys we want some third party support.

imapterodactyl

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rosetta06 said:
I think I posted this a bit back but lost the post, but does anyone else want support for NYKO wireless wings for homebrew (Emulators)

I have heard through the grapevine that the main fella behind the GX Emulators is not interested as he does not own any of these products and since does not care to make it compatible.

Please, tell the homebrew guys we want some third party support.

The Wing IS pretty slick. I have the Datel Retro - same idea, but it looks more like the original classic controller. I don't use it that often though, so I didn't even realize there may be compatibility issues with homebrew (I just assumed the Wii simply saw it as a classic controller, pure and simple).

I'm going to run down and grab it in order to test it out with the GX emus... I'll post my results shortly. If it works, it seems very odd that the Wing doesn't as well....

EDIT: The Datel Retro Wireless works perfectly with the GX emus (and every other piece of homebrew w/classic support). I can't imagine why the Wing shouldn't as well.... if it's doing it's job properly, the Wii just sees it to be a Classic, and any given homebrew shouldn't have to code support for it (assuming said homebrew supports the classic controller). If that's somehow not the case, then I'm second guessing picking up a Wing, which is too bad, because I really like Nyko products.

phiillh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I had the same issue with the Datels using VBA-GX and posted the issue on google code.
Carl Kenner got back to me saying he was looking into it but that it was an issue with all homebrew including GlovePIE.
Google Code issue

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
QUOTE said:
EDIT: The Datel Retro Wireless works perfectly with the GX emus (at least FCE and SNES9X). I can't imagine why the Wing shouldn't as well.... if it's doing it's job properly, the Wii just sees it to be a Classic, and any given homebrew shouldn't have to code support for it (assuming said homebrew supports the classic controller). If that's somehow not the case, then I'm second guessing picking up a Wing, which is too bad, because I really like Nyko products.

I don't think they work the same
please anyone correct me if i'm wrong but the wireless controller acts undependantly from the wiimote (most probably it registers itself as another "wiimote" with a connected classic controller in the system menu so it's transparent on the program side) whereas the classic Wing acts as a regular wiimote Expansion controller

The problem with homebrew seems that the classic Wing does not use the exact expected protocol when communicating with the Wiimote and remains ununderstood on the program side, nothing much can be done unless someone manage to trace the differences and fix libwiiuse in regard

imapterodactyl

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jacobeian said:
QUOTE said:
EDIT: The Datel Retro Wireless works perfectly with the GX emus (at least FCE and SNES9X). I can't imagine why the Wing shouldn't as well.... if it's doing it's job properly, the Wii just sees it to be a Classic, and any given homebrew shouldn't have to code support for it (assuming said homebrew supports the classic controller). If that's somehow not the case, then I'm second guessing picking up a Wing, which is too bad, because I really like Nyko products.

I don't think they work the same
please anyone correct me if i'm wrong but the wireless controller acts undependantly from the wiimote (most probably it registers itself as another "wiimote" in the system menu) whereas the classic Wing acts as a regular wiimote Expansion controller

The problem with homebrew seems that the classic Wing does not use the exact expected protocol when communicating with the Wiimote and remains ununderstood on the program side, nothing much can be done unless someone manage to trace the differences and fix libwiiuse in regard

Oh hell, you're right. The Datel Wireless is a device in and of itself, thus registering itself as another Wiimote (and showing up as such in the System Menu etc). The Wing (and this is the part I didn't realize) has an expansion block that connects to the Wiimote. Thanks for clearing that up, Jacobeian.

Bummer though.

imapterodactyl

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
phiillh said:
I had the same issue with the Datels using VBA-GX and posted the issue on google code.
Carl Kenner got back to me saying he was looking into it but that it was an issue with all homebrew including GlovePIE.
Google Code issue

Not an issue with the Datel here... works just fine with VBA-GX 2.0.6, and worked fine with previous revs as well (and every other piece of homebrew I've thrown at it). Perhaps you meant the Wing?

phiillh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Was definately the Datels as i have two and was bummed that they wouldn't work with VBA-GX.
I'll download the latest rev and retry.

imapterodactyl

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
phiillh said:
Was definately the Datels as i have two and was bummed that they wouldn't work with VBA-GX.
I'll download the latest rev and retry.

Very strange. When did you get yours? I got mine at Christmas this past year.... perhaps they've been updated before/since (for better or worse....)

If you get a chance, please try Snes9xGX as well. And does yours work within HBC?

EDIT: Just tried my roommate's too, and his also works fine in all emus (only tried the GX ones, but were all fine) and HBC. Purchased in May, I believe.

phiillh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I got them at the start of the year, but i'm still using VBA-GX 2.0.0 so it may have been fixed in an update.
I'll download Snes9xGX and test that too, was looking for an excuse to try Super Mario anyways
tongue.gif

They worked fine with HBC to load VBA-GX but then became unresponsive afterwards
sad.gif

imapterodactyl

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
phiillh said:
I got them at the start of the year, but i'm still using VBA-GX 2.0.0 so it may have been fixed in an update.
I'll download Snes9xGX and test that too, was looking for an excuse to try Super Mario anyways
tongue.gif

They worked fine with HBC to load VBA-GX but then became unresponsive afterwards
sad.gif

Yeah, please go ahead and try VBA 2.0.6 and also SNES9x. If they don't work, then that's just baffling.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: sure, it can be hands free