2018091700082700-DB1426D1DFD034027CECDE9C2DD914B8.jpg

Some of the features of the port:
  • hardware accelerated rendering using YQ2's GL3 renderer;
  • sound and OGG music support;
  • multiplayer (not really tested);
  • mod/mission pack support;
  • gyro aiming (experimental);
  • analog controls and shit.

To install it, just unzip nxquake2_r6.zip to the root of your SD card, then copy the baseq2 folder from your Quake II installation to /switch/nxquake2/. If you want to use the config file included with the release, don't forget to select "no" when asked if you want to overwrite it. You can then run the game using the Homebrew Launcher.
You can use the Quake II demo for this, read the README on Github for details.

Since v0.5.0 the port supports mission packs and other mods with custom game code. The Github releases come with libraries for Ground Zero, The Reckoning and Zaero. If you want to play those, copy any Mission Pack folders you want to play (xatrix, rogue or zaero) from your installation to /switch/nxquake2/. Don't overwrite anything.

Some notes:
  • if it crashes and exits back to HBL/Horizon silently, check /switch/nxquake2/crash.log (or error.log) to find out what caused it;
  • music works the same way as it does in regular Yamagi Quake II: put the OGG music tracks (named 02.ogg - 11.ogg) into /switch/nxquake2/baseq2/music/ (or, in general, /switch/nxquake2/<modfolder>/music/);
  • mods and mission packs can be selected from the Game -> mods menu, which will appear if they are installed correctly;
  • gyro aiming might be a bit buggy, but you can configure it in Options -> customize gamepad -> gyro options;
  • if you want pixelated textures, change gl_texturemode in config.cfg to GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_NEAREST;
  • if you want square particles, change gl3_particle_square in config.cfg to 1;
  • joystick sensitivity can be controlled in the Options -> configure joystick menu;
  • the GL1 renderer is not supported yet, the software renderer is pretty slow without x86-specific optimizations, so best use the GL3 renderer;
  • if you have any suggestions or bug reports, please post them here or in the Github issues.

Credits:
  • Yamagi for Yamagi Quake II and cleaning up the Mission Pack sources;
  • fincs, Armada651, Subv and probably others for their work on the OpenGL/mesa/libdrm stuff;
  • some nice people in the ReiSwitched Discord for help and testing;
  • Ch0wW for some code contributions;
  • id Software for Quake II itself.

Last edited by fgsfds,

fgsfds

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Right now no. If you know of any other open source games that utilize software rendering, I might consider porting those. "Porting" Quake and QuakeII was a very simple process though, since SDL and shit.

szczuru

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Right now no. If you know of any other open source games that utilize software rendering, I might consider porting those. "Porting" Quake and QuakeII was a very simple process though, since SDL and shit.

Heroes 3? (Using VCMI engine).

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I ported Yamagi Quake II to the Switch.
Github repo: /fgsfdsfgs/nxquake2
Latest version: 0.1.0 (Sep 4, 2018)

• software rendering with support for several resolutions;

To install it, just unzip nxquake2_010.zip to the root of your SD card, then copy the baseq2 folder from your Quake II installation to /switch/nxquake2/. If you want to use the config file included with the release, don't forget to select "no" when asked if you want to overwrite it. You can then run the game using the Homebrew Launcher.

Some notes:
  • if it crashes and exits back to HBL/Horizon silently, check /switch/nxquake2/crash.log to find out what caused it;
  • music works the same way as it does in regular Yamagi Quake II: put the OGG music tracks (named 02.ogg - 11.ogg) into /switch/nxquake2/baseq2/music/;
  • mods or mission packs are not supported yet;
  • analog controls are a little bit wonky, especially when FPS dips;
  • better exit the game using the Quit option in the menu;
  • there's no real way to connect anywhere except editing the address book manually on PC, or maybe LAN discovery, which I haven't tested;
  • you might notice that this is an almost exact copy of the NXQuake thread's OP;
  • port is pretty barebones, so if you have any suggestions or bug reports, please post them here or in the Github issues.

Credits:
  • Yamagi for Yamagi Quake II;
  • some nice people in the ReiSwitched Discord for help;

gotta love the old ID soft and 3d Realms games

Mikep90

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ported Yamagi Quake II to the Switch.
Github repo: /fgsfdsfgs/nxquake2
Latest version: 0.1.0 (Sep 4, 2018)

• software rendering with support for several resolutions;

To install it, just unzip nxquake2_010.zip to the root of your SD card, then copy the baseq2 folder from your Quake II installation to /switch/nxquake2/. If you want to use the config file included with the release, don't forget to select "no" when asked if you want to overwrite it. You can then run the game using the Homebrew Launcher.

Some notes:
  • if it crashes and exits back to HBL/Horizon silently, check /switch/nxquake2/crash.log to find out what caused it;
  • music works the same way as it does in regular Yamagi Quake II: put the OGG music tracks (named 02.ogg - 11.ogg) into /switch/nxquake2/baseq2/music/;
  • mods or mission packs are not supported yet;
  • analog controls are a little bit wonky, especially when FPS dips;
  • better exit the game using the Quit option in the menu;
  • there's no real way to connect anywhere except editing the address book manually on PC, or maybe LAN discovery, which I haven't tested;
  • you might notice that this is an almost exact copy of the NXQuake thread's OP;
  • port is pretty barebones, so if you have any suggestions or bug reports, please post them here or in the Github issues.

Credits:
  • Yamagi for Yamagi Quake II;
  • some nice people in the ReiSwitched Discord for help;
Can you try to do a redneck rampage

Admiral-Purple

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for this I love quake 2. You should try to port xash3d engine. I’m pretty sure it can use software rendering. I would love to be able to play half life on the switch.

Idaho

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Good work, I did not expect to see Quake2 on the switch while the GPU libraries are still not available ^^

What do you think of AlephOne to play the Marathon games? it's a game that we rarely see ported to hacked consoles (I only remember seeing a port of an old version on the PSP and it was a bit buggy per say), though I think this series of games really deserves to be available on the switch with an up to date port and good rendering...

What's also cool about it is that you can ship the game files with the engine port because these have also been made free...

Here's the games website :
https://alephone.lhowon.org/

Thanks for this I love quake 2. You should try to port xash3d engine. I’m pretty sure it can use software rendering. I would love to be able to play half life on the switch.

While xash3d might be possible with software rendering, I think it would be wiser to wait for the GPU libraries to be available for better optimization and not having to rework the code later on if software rendering hits the hardware limits of the console...

Last edited by Idaho,
Reactions: phreaksho

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Fantastic stuff with this! Quick work and already pretty feature complete. And doesn't have the weird loading bugs that the Vita port suffers from.

Another vote for Xash3D here!

dc9884

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What do you think of AlephOne to play the Marathon games? it's a game that we rarely see ported to hacked consoles (I only remember seeing a port of an old version on the PSP and it was a bit buggy per say), though I think this series of games really deserves to be available on the switch with an up to date port and good rendering...

What's also cool about it is that you can ship the game files with the engine port because these have also been made free...

Here's the games website :
https://alephone.lhowon.org/

I second this. Marathon would be incredible, and a unique addition to the Switch.

Brunz514

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Port is pretty good for software acceleration! Hopefully we get opengl soon, i loved this game on my 3dfx video card aeons ago!

For whatever reason on sx os there is no proper icon for the game, its just a question mark. Is that normal?

M7L7NK7

Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
Reactions: Brunz514

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users