WIP NXMineNS - A DNS Redirector for Minecraft Bedrock Edition (Console version)

stitchxd May 15, 2019.

1. TheMCNerd2017

TheMCNerd2017 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 21, 2017
    United States
    Wow, I never knew that people playing on console were literally forced to use the Featured Servers and were blocked from joining any server not approved by Microsoft. Would not be surprised if it's because these big companies are scared of hackers developing exploits to run homebrew by simply joining a custom server.

Anyways, great job creating a tool that gives console players the freedom to join custom servers.

stitchxd likes this.
  2. stitchxd
    OP

stitchxd GBAtemp Fan

Apr 27, 2017
    United States
    nope
    This is a restriction by Nintendo technically. As an example, I believe the XBONE version of Bedrock MC can use custom servers. Someone will have to confirm for me though.

The reason this project came together was a tutorial I found (which was quite complicated to setup for a basic user btw) on reddit on setting up DNSMASQ to essentially do what this application does. So I created a basic (SUPER basic) DNS server in C# (using a DNS Library from NuGET.) that has a built in zone file that pre-configures the DNS A records for the featured server list (which I would need to update as it changes) using the IP as an argument. Simple, eloquent. No gui, no BS, just run the app and forget about it. You can, using NSSM, set this up as a service too so you don't need to have it's window open all the time. But that's more advanced and not part of the OP. :D

lexarvn and TheMCNerd2017 like this.
  3. TheMCNerd2017

TheMCNerd2017 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 21, 2017
    United States
    I should have known. They must be really scared of homebrew if they are blocking custom Minecraft servers of all things. Are custom skins and maps not from the Marketplace also blocked?

4. stitchxd
    OP

stitchxd GBAtemp Fan

Apr 27, 2017
    United States
    nope
    Custom skins applied via Marketplace are allowed, though I've never tested just applying one via my phone and having share on my switch. Custom Maps can be injected or use marketplace too I think

TheMCNerd2017 likes this.
  5. Kastnerd

Kastnerd Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 3, 2019
    United States
    Elmira NY
    Thanks, I saw the limit of the switch and had this same DNS idea,. Glad someone did it for me.

lexarvn and stitchxd like this.
  6. stitchxd
    OP

stitchxd GBAtemp Fan

Apr 27, 2017
    United States
    nope
    Glad you find it useful!! <3

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted