NVIDIA’s New Tablet/Mobile Chip Is More Powerful Than the PS3

heartgold

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The graphics chip maker today revealed details for 'Project Logan', the code name for a new mobile graphics chip based on its latest Kepler architecture.

While the new tech draws just a third the power of processors found in iPad 4 to perform equivalent rendering, it's capable of all the latest rendering techniques.

"The big news here is NVIDIA's support for the OpenGL 4.3 feature set, which brings to mobile devices the same high-end graphics hardware capabilities exposed via DirectX 11 on PC games and on next-generation consoles," enthused Sweeney.

image_306808_620.jpg

Here are two tech demos originally used to demonstrate high-end desktop PC processors earlier this year, now running on a mobile device equipped with Project Logan.

Read the full article on the link below.
http://www.computerandvideogames.co...obiles-will-outpace-ps3-in-2014-with-new-gpu/

At 2W only supposedly! This is amazing. I have to hold off from buying a new tablet. Mobile tech is advancing fast. Think about the future tablets emulating Gamecube/Wii games. This also beats the crap out of the Wii U GPU and its only mobile. o_o

IBNobody

I try to keep myself amused.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Back in March, they announced that it would be available on devices in early 2014, and that Logan is the codename for the Tegra 5.

Huang (nvidia CEO) said that Tegra 5 chips will be released at the tail end of 2013, with devices appearing early in 2014. It will also mean that next year all of Nvidia's product line will be based on the same GPU architecture, which should help lower costs.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2255917/nvidia-says-tegra-5-logan-will-support-cuda

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
13nm process?

Meh, half an year later, another chip comes out which is even more powerful.

Welcome to the world of technology, they take your money and expect you to buy devices as bragging rights, hell hd 7770s still work perfectly fine.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since I'm an uneducated buffoon when it comes to all things smartphones, I'm just going to pull my best Chris Tucker and say, "Damn."

Bravo, Nvidya.

TheCasketMan

Keyblade Apprentice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And i just preordered the Tegra 4 Shield....
I will skip Tegra 5 and Shield 2, and will wait for Tegra 6(Project Parker) and Shield 3. Yes, they are already working on Tegra 6.

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
13nm process?

Meh, half an year later, another chip comes out which is even more powerful.

13 nanometres. A nanometre is roughly one billionth of a metre. So pretty tiny really when you consider a centimetre is about 1/100th of a metre. You're looking at 1/1000000000000 of a metre. You could use this as perspective, the width of a single strand of human hair is roughly 80,000nm

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
13 nanometres. A nanometre is roughly one billionth of a metre. So pretty tiny really when you consider a centimetre is about 1/100th of a metre. You're looking at 1/1000000000000 of a metre. You could use this as perspective, the width of a single strand of human hair is roughly 80,000nm

That I already knew ;p
It was more a question of if it's fabricated on the 13 nm process or even less.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Kudos to Nvidia. Hopefully the handhelds get the possibility of playing anything running locally or on a computer without input lag or other problems. On the go emulations + new games for the hardware + PC games on a portable? Profit.

This is also interesting in at least one thing: how far can the manufacturing process go until there exists problems with normal electricity constraints ie. short circuits due to the short distances between parts?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse