Cermage

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Originality said:
So, whilst the initial Fermi releases are pretty much a bust, we can look forward to the 6th and 7th rebrands/die shrinks by the time the HD7 series is out? Woot?

they aren't really a bust, if you do other intensive stuff other than gaming (i.e folding), they're the best cards you can get right now if you don't care for power usage and heat output.

you'll probably see most of fermi's problems fixed up in the next revision, ati have been giving nvidia a good run for their money in the budget market. and with what the 460 and 480 have shown so far, they aren't really aiming for that market at all despite being how big it is.

Raki

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Joe88 said:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/04/01/...peratures_sound

so um yeah,
73C idle (horrible)
93C load (also horrible)
its also very loud

even my 4870 runs at 45C idle with the fan at 30% RPM, and never goes above 60C under load

well those temperaturs are perfect....for making a pizza!
biggrin.gif

nvidia should be bought no longer if they aren't serious about their products...too bad OEMs will still buy this and advertise it as the best, the coolest and the quietest...

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Raki said:
Joe88 said:

so um yeah,
73C idle (horrible)
93C load (also horrible)
its also very loud

even my 4870 runs at 45C idle with the fan at 30% RPM, and never goes above 60C under load

biggrin.gif

nvidia should be bought no longer if they aren't serious about their products...too bad OEMs will still buy this and advertise it as the best, the coolest and the quietest...
Why shouldn't they? I mean, if, for example, Dell, puts a GTX 480 in a pc, and sells it under the motto 'Best, coolest and quietest graphics card inside!', people will buy it, because they think that if Dell says something like that, it must be true.

I think the GTX 470 and 480 are NVidia's fail of the year. They made a graphics card that is cheaper, slower, consumes more power and makes more heat, and is even harder to get than an ATI Radeon 5970.

Raki

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Berthenk said:
Raki said:
Joe88 said:

so um yeah,
73C idle (horrible)
93C load (also horrible)
its also very loud

biggrin.gif

Why shouldn't they? I mean, if, for example, Dell, puts a GTX 480 in a pc, and sells it under the motto 'Best, coolest and quietest graphics card inside!', people will buy it, because they think that if Dell says something like that, it must be true.

I think the GTX 470 and 480 are NVidia's fail of the year. They made a graphics card that is cheaper, slower, consumes more power and makes more heat, and is even harder to get than an ATI Radeon 5970.

that's the point. as long as a customer buys everything without thinking about it twice they will have customers

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
How can Dell (or anyone) possibly get away with calling the 480 the "coolest and quietest", when it is the hottest and loudest in the current generation of cards?

As for it being the best... well, just wait until the drivers are finished for them and games start including CUDA support. It isn't hard to top ATI drivers.

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Originality said:
How can Dell (or anyone) possibly get away with calling the 480 the "coolest and quietest", when it is the hottest and loudest in the current generation of cards?

As for it being the best... well, just wait until the drivers are finished for them and games start including CUDA support. It isn't hard to top ATI drivers.

And then you wait for games to include ATI Stream support to see Nvidia get raped, Stream is faster than CUDA.

Cermage

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Originality said:
But what would happen if Nvidia dropped out of the competition? If ATI got the monopoly on all gfx cards?

on gaming performance maybe, intel still has its integrated chipsets. Intel's may still jump into gaming with larrabee even though its first results were fairly poor.

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Larrabee? Didn't hear/read much about that sucker. I'd count that as Intel's try to take over the gpu world, which, unfortunately for Intel, is not going to happen, I'm afraid.

ATI and monopoly on all graphics cards? Hmmm... that'd be interesting enough to try out.
A GPU with EyeFinity, PhysX, Stream and CUDA would be pretty awesome, however, won't happen unfortunately.

Raki

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Originality said:

I read a lot bullshit when some shop wants to sell you a supercomputer (like 1,5GB HD4670)...it's always advertised as the best possible...

Cermage

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Berthenk said:
Larrabee? Didn't hear/read much about that sucker. I'd count that as Intel's try to take over the gpu world, which, unfortunately for Intel, is not going to happen, I'm afraid.

ATI and monopoly on all graphics cards? Hmmm... that'd be interesting enough to try out.
A GPU with EyeFinity, PhysX, Stream and CUDA would be pretty awesome, however, won't happen unfortunately.

well intel hyped it up fairly well when they announced it. and then it put out some pretty poor results and everything went quiet. Its still going to be released as a basic integrated chip though i think.

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Cermage said:
Berthenk said:

well intel hyped it up fairly well when they announced it. and then it put out some pretty poor results and everything went quiet. Its still going to be released as a basic integrated chip though i think.

Yes, well... I mean, it's still an integrated chip, and therefore, it's inferior to most dedicated graphics cards that are at least a bit recent.

Raki said:
QUOTE(Originality @ Apr 4 2010, 11:03 PM)

I read a lot bullshit when some shop wants to sell you a supercomputer (like 1,5GB HD4670)...it's always advertised as the best possible...
Yes, and because people don't do research, they get crap computers for a high price. And afterwards they come whining that it doesn't run this or that game on 1650X1080 (or whatever it is...), everything on max and 16XAF with 8XAA, because the shop said it would. Which, I think, is pretty good.
The shop doesn't deliver what is says it will, so it's only natural that buyers come whining.

Also read a post somewhere from a guy who works in a computer shop and gets people there that only want a Pentium in their computer, because it's the only
processor name they know and they think it has teh übar powarz. Fail.

Raki

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Berthenk said:
Cermage said:
Berthenk said:

Yes, well... I mean, it's still an integrated chip, and therefore, it's inferior to most dedicated graphics cards that are at least a bit recent.

Raki said:
QUOTE(Originality @ Apr 4 2010, 11:03 PM)

Yes, and because people don't do research, they get crap computers for a high price. And afterwards they come whining that it doesn't run this or that game on 1650X1080 (or whatever it is...), everything on max and 16XAF with 8XAA, because the shop said it would. Which, I think, is pretty good.
The shop doesn't deliver what is says it will, so it's only natural that buyers come whining.

Also read a post somewhere from a guy who works in a computer shop and gets people there that only want a Pentium in their computer, because it's the only
processor name they know and they think it has teh übar powarz. Fail.

Oh they can have my Pentium D 830 for 400 €...it's cheap
ph34r.gif

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Raki said:
ph34r.gif
So cheap? Meh, I would pay €800,- if it was new!

Bought new motherboard, cpu and ram for €230,- a little time ago. Computer's fast.
grog.gif

Raki

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Berthenk said:
Raki said:
ph34r.gif
So cheap? Meh, I would pay €800,- if it was new!

Bought new motherboard, cpu and ram for €230,- a little time ago. Computer's fast.
grog.gif

It's just a bit used...just 4,5 years...so nearly new
tongue.gif

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
On cue from a friend, I got forced into doing a spot of research on the Fermi architecture... and it seems that it was never supposed to outcompete ATI in the gaming graphics market, but instead appeals to people looking for servers, folders or general "supercomputers".

So the next step is seeing how well it does in folding. Perhaps we'll see a rig of 4 of these, all watercooled by some monster of a circuit, and find a system that can fold 40x faster than anything else. Perhaps it'll be just the same story as with games... good in some parts, bad in some parts, but still too hot/power hungry.

Where are the Nvidia chips for us gamers?

Cermage

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Originality said:
On cue from a friend, I got forced into doing a spot of research on the Fermi architecture... and it seems that it was never supposed to outcompete ATI in the gaming graphics market, but instead appeals to people looking for servers, folders or general "supercomputers".

So the next step is seeing how well it does in folding. Perhaps we'll see a rig of 4 of these, all watercooled by some monster of a circuit, and find a system that can fold 40x faster than anything else. Perhaps it'll be just the same story as with games... good in some parts, bad in some parts, but still too hot/power hungry.

Where are the Nvidia chips for us gamers?

yeah like i said in the op, nvidia's ceo came out and said they are looking towards work orientated usage more. i have no clue as to why they're doing this, the home market is huge and i don't think businesses with workstations are going to jump off their expensive quadro/firepro cards anytime soon. sure there is an upcoming market in distributed computing, but its still a fairly niche market. nuts like this guy and this guy are probably going jump on the fermi cards like fat kids to cakes.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Supposedly the Tessla project was to create a card with the power of 42 Core i7s - a supercomputer in the space of a normal desktop PC. Either way, I think I'll stick with my HD4870 for the time being - at least until I see ATI's next range.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Look at you holding tiny things