1. alucard_xs

alucard_xs GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    that's a pity, steam games can't be played if there are not in Geforce now ...

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  2. gudenau

gudenau Largely ignored

United States
    Can we stop with this yet? It's never going to be good without having nodes right outside your door!

Nobody_Important4u likes this.
  3. Cecilmax

Cecilmax GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Im sure streaming video games have their kind of client, like VR have his kind of client but I will never go to streaming for sure. I switched to buy digital games since the ps4 but I still can play my games offline and that is what is important for me. to own the games I like. Plus, im a retro gamer too, in the next 20 years I will still play my fav games on my ps4 or emulated version on PS7 who knows, but Im sure I will still own the games I already purchased.

As for streaming, I wil pay each month and one day they will pull the plug, so.. it is like renting a car for life. I am more than happy to pay each month to play Online game, like final fantasy online, world of warcraft, etc. But why the hell I should pay each month to play mario bros or tetris ??? that doesn't make sense for me. just my opinion :)

4. Pipistrele

Pipistrele GBAtemp Fan

Russia
    Low pricing, ability to launch titles from your Steam library, stable connections, powerful servers. It looks like they know what they're doing. The idea of cloud gaming by itself is a solid one, especially for developing countries (where internet is cheap but hardware is absurdly expensive), it's just that nobody executed it remotely well until now.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Depends on what you're subscribing to. In some cases, subscriptions are simply more cost efficient than buying new releases - like, you can hypothetically pick a $10/month one to complete a bunch of single-player blockbusters that would otherwise cost you $30-60 each.

In other words, it's like... just renting a car? You get one for duration of road trip, you give it away when you don't need it, you save money. Same with games - you rent a bunch of those, you complete them, you unsubscribe .u.

Xabring likes this.
  5. MythicalData

MythicalData GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    What kinda nodes are we talking about here?

6. AkiraKurusu

AkiraKurusu GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    I agree with most of your post, but...considering how customer-hostile the Epic Game Store has become, the company really should be undergoing liquidation. Have any of their 2019 tasklist goals been implemented? Even if some have been done, I highly doubt they bothered to complete them all - they couldn't even manage preloading for Borderlands 3, and that was quite late in the year. Not to mention how they screwed up that one Sale - forcing it on publishers and devs who weren't ready, didn't have carts for customers, and blocked customers who bought too many individual products because the application saw it as a 'security issue'.

Of course, despite just how :shit: their Store/launcher is, they won't be going through bankruptcy as they deserve to - the third-party games they imprisoned there, along with that crap Fortnite thing, all but guarantee this. Sickening.

Anyway, NVIDIA GeForce Now. My laptop does use Experience, so I've already got ties to the company, but I'm personally not interested in streaming - don't want to hog the entire bandwidth or anything (right now, according to Speedtest, I've got 16ms ping, 13.31Mbps download, 3.87Mbps upload - so I don't think my home Internet can handle massive loads, and I need to share with up to three people), and my laptop's powerful enough to run games just fine.

7. Something whatever

Something whatever Gazer of the East

United States
    also going to fail

8. Cecilmax

Cecilmax GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    I have the feeling that streaming games would really work in like 20 years when high bandwidth will be more a standard for almost everyone. Google or Nvidia must realize the device that will stream the games is not the only device at home. Not everyone have a bandwidth of 500+ mbps and in a home, all the family use the bandwidth at the same time. Netflix, iPads, iPhone, etc. I really have doubt that would work flawless without any lag. And I'm not talking about the peoples that would have their router setup properly to optimize the bandwidth ..

9. Jonna

Jonna Some sort of musician.

Canada
    I'm confused. I already have this for free with my NVidia graphics card in my desktop, that I can stream to my phone. Is this the same thing, in which case it will no longer be free? Or is this something else?

Also, this is the CORRECT WAY TO DO IT. A free way to try it out, to see if it's even viable on an individual basis.

10. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

United States
    I prefer to stick to physical disc instead of streaming games only. No thanks!

Nobody_Important4u likes this.
  11. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Netherlands
    This is something else. Nvidia hosts a pc somewhere that you install the game to, then stream it to your pc.

12. Lodad

Lodad Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I can totally see the appeal for this, as my friend's stepson plays (and keeps buying) modern games for his hand-me-down, 8 year old PC with a GTX 550Ti and is still having a blast playing fortnite at 1600x900 resolution and under 20fps. Even if it was $15 a month, $180 a year for a huge performance spike beats spending $500 and up to get him a modern gaming rig.

EDIT: Didn't see there's an android app! I tried to sign up and there was an error. Not a good start, team green.
    EDIT 2: Working now, I have crap connection so the stream is a little blurry, but it seems to be prioritizing minimizing input lag. I like it. Testing on my phone only for now.

13. Nobody_Important4u

Nobody_Important4u Just Another Shitposter

Poland
    What a terrible timeline we live in.

14. BORTZ

BORTZ The Amazing
    Supervisor

United States
    Oh the many comments I could make. But I will stick with these.
    -"Ohh another streaming service to pay for"

Also do people forget that PS Now exists and works pretty well?

15. guily6669

guily6669 GbaTemp is my Drug

United States
    Well Nvidia actually had those kind of services for many, many years, in fact when I bought my Nvidia Shield Tablet we didnt even needed a subscription and had a lot of games that you could play 4 ever all free for a few years.

More recently they added the steam stuff which is much better than google because those games if you buy trough Nvidia, you not only get the streaming game on the tablet or whatever, but you also actually get a digital copy of it to add on your steam and actually play on your computer like if you bought it on steam, that is like MILES ahead any other streaming service because you get both the full game and streaming capability...

However I can't say I care a single bit, I tried Post Scriptum streamed and even though it runs better than my computer, the input lag was higher so at the end my 2011 PC I can actually play it much better and I was using 5ghz wireless on a 200mbps FTTH internet so yeah whatever, but it's cool that in beta for many time I could just play the game I have on steam and bought super cheap on a cdkey and play it trough nvidia servers for free :).

16. gudenau

gudenau Largely ignored

United States
    To run the games on. Kinda like fiber to the block scales.

17. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    Better than the pile of shit Stadia was at launch

18. MythicalData

MythicalData GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I mean you definitely don't need fiber for this. A regular ethernet cable will do you just fine, but honestly I didn't use one and didn't have a problem with lag, but most people probably should use an ethernet cable to minimize hiccuping. Fiber is for insane speeds that are over 10x what you need for this (even for high res and high frame rate)
    Shadow is better than this though. You get a whole desktop, high frame rate and resolution, nation wide servers,
    and you can choose your os. When I say you get a whole desktop I mean it too. You can do whatever you'd like with it really from steam to origin and drm free and so on

19. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Succubus™ Grumpy Enby

Antarctica
    Until we start seeing stable connections and ISPs not fucking about with speeds, cloud-based gaming will continue to be a bad idea

20. GBADWB

GBADWB GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I used it on my families shield and it's good for what its trying to do. It's library is decent as well

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - competitor, launches, Nvidias