Nvidia on PS4: Sony wasn't offering us enough money

ComeTurismO

CTO
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nvidia reports to GameSpot saying that the PS4 is not worth the cost since - "at the price those guys were willing to pay".
My understanding is that Nvidia had business with Sony and the PS4, but the price that Sony was going to give to Nvidia was so awful that they were butthurt and decided not to have business with them.

:arrow: Source is actually the 4th word.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nvidia reports to GameSpot saying that the PS4 is not worth the cost since - "at the price those guys were willing to pay".
My understanding is that Nvidia had business with Sony and the PS4, but the price that Sony was going to give to Nvidia was so awful that they were butthurt and decided not to have business with them.

It's unsurprising. In business your biggest customer is usually the one that you make the least money from, or worse you often end up losing money just for the prestige of the deal. NVidia are probably right, the money that Sony were offering probably wasn't enough.

The title of the thread is a misleading. They aren't saying the PS4 isn't worth what Sony are going to charge for it, only that it wasn't worth them supplying the GPU for the money they were offered.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
The thing I don't get about the whole "PS4 Nvidia GPU" thing is that I'm pretty sure the PS4 announcement said that they planned to have the GPU and CPU on the same die which kinda implies they have to be made by the same company and I wasn't aware that there was an Nvidia x86 processor.

AMD is the only company I know of that both makes high end GPU's and already has a consumer 8-core processor on the market.

Before anyone makes the comparison, the Wii U has the GPU and CPU in the same package but on different dies so it was possible for them to have them made by different companies.

(EDIT : I just assumed AMD would have already been developing a Laptop version of the 8-core w/integrated GPU and Sony just requested an extra beefy version for themselves.)

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Erm...butthurt? I'm not sure if you read your entire sourced article, but it looks to me that nvidia simply has better plans than dedicate a lot of effort on either sony or microsoft's console. You make it look like it's some sort of a backstab by sony, but I'd say it is just a professional disagreement.

In fact, I'm applauding the way of clear communication of nvidia on this. No implications or simplifications, and not revealing trade secrets either. If all companies acted this way, I'm sure there'd be a whole bunch less false rumors floating around the internet.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I wasn't aware that there was an Nvidia x86 processor.

To be fair Nvidia have been linked with X86 development for quite some time- http://semiaccurate.com/2010/08/17/details-emerge-about-nvidias-x86-cpu/
Similarly they have a pretty notable motherboard division as well so it is probably not too great a leap there either.

Back to the matter at hand that must have been some lowball or otherwise spiked offer- it would have been a substantial PR win and the lengths I have seen all the fab owning companies go to for just a bit of good PR and not a lot of profit.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The way I see it, NVidia might start trying to discredit (or at least put in a negative light) Sony as well as Microsoft and Nintendo since they're entering the console war themselves with the Project Shield - I'd take their word with a grain of salt. That, and as Rydian said, the two used to have business together but this time around, it's AMD supplying the chips for all the NextGen's (provided the NextBox rumours are to be believed).

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Somehow, I feel nVidia is a bit biased here. This company is too busy with their own "console". They probably wanted way to much money for their technology, since now Sony will be a competitor for them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It could get banned from PSN but you can change your ID I think?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you try wearing them?