NUT GUI USB and Network installer for Tinfoil and SX Installer

Easiest way is to just download nut.exe to the directory where your NSP's are, and start it. Will install NSP's from your PC to the switch via USB or network connection. The games will show up on the switch (in the "new games" section) to install, the PC client is just a dumb server. Default username and password is guest/guest for network install.

# USB Install

Run server.py or Windows users can use the precompiled nut.exe in the release section.

Follow the directions found in the release page to install the USB driver.

After you run the server, ensure NSP's are visible in the list. If they are not, change the path and click the "scan" button.

Connect your USB cable from your switch to your PC.

Start Tinfoil or SX Installer, and all of the NSP's listed in nut server should now be available to install in Tinfoil or SX Installer.

# Network Install

Run server.py or Windows users can use the precompiled nut.exe in the release section.

After you run the server, ensure NSP's are visible in the list. If they are not, change the path and click the "scan" button.

Start Tinfoil or SX Installer, then go to locations, then select "Add New" location. Enter the ip, port, username, and password that is displayed in the nut server application, then press save.

All of the NSP's listed in nut server should now be available to install in Tinfoil or SX Installer.

https://tinfoil.io/Download#download

changelog:

- Scan path is now saved and remembered.
- Web GUI is now works with the windows release.
- Web gui optionally launches at application launch.
- Various bugfixes / enhancements to web gui.
- Fixed display bug where username did not display in gui.
- conf/users.conf is created, and users can edit their username and password there.
- fixed random error when initializing.

Last edited by blawar,

bluedart

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for this, it's pretty cool. I installed another small ish game yesterday and it worked properly, but I left it unattented so it would be done when I came back. When I did it finished properly, but the UI for Tinfoil was frozen. This has happened a few times since I started using the usb install feature, and I was wondering how dangerous it is. Can it freeze while installing something, and should it choose to, how likely is it that I would have to flash my 32GB backup? This happened with my WiiU while installing something, and I had to reformat my external drive. That was an annoying week of damage control.

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
the network functionalitly of this tinfoil version is a beast and has a great gui
how do we know how safe it is when we cant compile it ourselves?
hmm
I mean can the switch itself send it to some other network? or does it close in only on your network?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

is there a way to make this show the game icons instead of their names?
kinda like freeshop. XD
Yes you can press the - key to change to icons if you want but many in the list do not show up but the regular more well known titles show up without issues.

Ninja’d by Blawar :ph34r:

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I guess you could run 2 nut servers on say port 9000 and 9001 for ex and set these 2 up as separate file locations in sx installer
It’s ok like blawar mentioned you can list one drive scan it, list the next drive scan and they all show up in the server and download from installer I tried it last night it works fine. Maybe if we could save two drives booting up the nut server that maybe a bit more handy.

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
press - to switch to icon cover mode.

If you do not trust the author (me), you are free to put it into airplane mode and use USB install. Tinfoil has been out for 6 months, and not one person has reported any credible malicious activity.
The paranoia is strong in this thread! I bet your collecting everyone’s personal nsp stash also mining, may I add for legit certs so you can use for yourself, when each cert gets banned! You naughty lad :teach: :lol: :O

Edit: on a serious note, it’s impossible I doubt very much he could relay information like that back to a server to use so yes it’s all ok no need for any paranoid continued thoughts in the thread also Blawar would be one of the least likely people that would need your switch stash..

Last edited by Reecey,
Reactions: gizmomelb

tiliarou

Trophies
XP
Country
France
If you are doubtful about this and nut, run it in a VM and on a closed network without internet access, and wireshark all network traffic to check what is sent to where.

whateverg1012

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome job, makes the best title management app on the switch even easier to use.

Looking forward to an update of the non-sxos switch version of this application as well.

Reactions: tiliarou

crow132

Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Helena
@blawar using 1.1 nut server and working rly well, thank u for the update

my switch had a broken usb and until now there wasn't any reliable way for me to install stuff through network, this do wonders for me, im rly greatful

do you plan to keep updating your tinfoil app? like adding maybe touch controls or using switch keyboard?

KuranKu

I am KranK
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
@blawar using 1.1 nut server and working rly well, thank u for the update

my switch had a broken usb and until now there wasn't any reliable way for me to install stuff through network, this do wonders for me, im rly greatful

do you plan to keep updating your tinfoil app? like adding maybe touch controls or using switch keyboard?
May i ask how the payload being injected while you have broken port ?
Internal modchip?
Why not resolder the port ?

crow132

Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Helena
May i ask how the payload being injected while you have broken port ?
Internal modchip?
Why not resolder the port ?
Internal modchip yeah, is more complex than just replacing the port, my datapads are gone from the motherboard so even though i can dock, i can't send any data (like connecting an ethernet adaptor for example)

wycs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Whenever I try install an update through Nut server on SX installer it basically instantly completes claiming the update is already installed and skips it, checking the game afterwards the game has not been updated and opening sx installer the update still shows up under new updates.

Base games and DLC install fine and if i take the same update that it keeps skipping and put it on a USB drive and then install it using that on SX installer it goes through fine, same if I install via ftp/sftp from the same source that nut server is accessing.

blawar

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whenever I try install an update through Nut server on SX installer it basically instantly completes claiming the update is already installed and skips it, checking the game afterwards the game has not been updated and opening sx installer the update still shows up under new updates.

Base games and DLC install fine and if i take the same update that it keeps skipping and put it on a USB drive and then install it using that on SX installer it goes through fine, same if I install via ftp/sftp from the same source that nut server is accessing.

It is possible that you have two update files that SX Installer can see: an old one and a new one. If so, delete the old one and try again.

wycs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It is possible that you have two update files that SX Installer can see: an old one and a new one. If so, delete the old one and try again.

Okay yeah there does seem to be something strange in this scenario. Using Dead Cells for example with two updates listed [v131072] and [v196608], when installing the update both sx installer and nut console actually list the [v196608] update being installed but then still skips it. If I delete the [v131072] update then the install fails with this in nut:

Code:
192.168.1.11 - - [20/Feb/2019 14:57:20] "POST /api/tinfoilSetInstalledApps/XAW40005352698 HTTP/1.1" 200 -
NSP download exception: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'S:\\updates\\Dead Cells [0100646009FBE800][v131072].nsp'
192.168.1.11 - - [20/Feb/2019 14:57:44] "HEAD /api/download/0100646009FBE800/Dead%20Cells%5B0100646009FBE800%5D%5B%5D%5Bv196608%5D.nsp HTTP/1.1" 200 -
NSP download exception: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'S:\\updates\\Dead Cells [0100646009FBE800][v131072].nsp'
192.168.1.11 - - [20/Feb/2019 14:57:44] "HEAD /api/download/0100646009FBE800/Dead%20Cells%5B0100646009FBE800%5D%5B%5D%5Bv196608%5D.nsp HTTP/1.1" 200 -

So it seems to be sending the old update but under the name of the later update ?

After deleting the old update and deleting files.json to rescan the database without the old update then it all worked fine.

Dichotomy754

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would be great if you could force a file to be parsed as an update. I'm finding it really hard to find the TitleIDs of some of these and when I just use the games TitleID it gets listed as a "BASE" even if I have [UPD] in the filename. I'm not sure it will even let me install them because of it.

Edit: Nevermind I worked it out, all the update ID's seem to end in 800. I feel stupid, this is probably common knowledge.

Last edited by Dichotomy754,
Reactions: gizmomelb

Deathscreton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm confused. Github says this Tinfoil is the official Repo, but I thought Tinfoil was officially closed, then restarted unofficially by ADubbz, who then moved on to Goldleaf. If so, what is this? What's the difference?

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm confused. Github says this Tinfoil is the official Repo, but I thought Tinfoil was officially closed, then restarted unofficially by ADubbz XorTroll, who then moved on to Goldleaf. If so, what is this? What's the difference?
Almost correct, tinfoil was originally by ADubbz then given to XorTroll. Blawar wrote dz, then renamed it, stealing tinfoil's name to be a shithead about it.

Reactions: Deathscreton

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYzI76fwaM0