NUT GUI USB and Network installer for Tinfoil and SX Installer

Easiest way is to just download nut.exe to the directory where your NSP's are, and start it. Will install NSP's from your PC to the switch via USB or network connection. The games will show up on the switch (in the "new games" section) to install, the PC client is just a dumb server. Default username and password is guest/guest for network install.

# USB Install

Run server.py or Windows users can use the precompiled nut.exe in the release section.

Follow the directions found in the release page to install the USB driver.

After you run the server, ensure NSP's are visible in the list. If they are not, change the path and click the "scan" button.

Connect your USB cable from your switch to your PC.

Start Tinfoil or SX Installer, and all of the NSP's listed in nut server should now be available to install in Tinfoil or SX Installer.

# Network Install

Run server.py or Windows users can use the precompiled nut.exe in the release section.

After you run the server, ensure NSP's are visible in the list. If they are not, change the path and click the "scan" button.

Start Tinfoil or SX Installer, then go to locations, then select "Add New" location. Enter the ip, port, username, and password that is displayed in the nut server application, then press save.

All of the NSP's listed in nut server should now be available to install in Tinfoil or SX Installer.

https://tinfoil.io/Download#download

changelog:

- Scan path is now saved and remembered.
- Web GUI is now works with the windows release.
- Web gui optionally launches at application launch.
- Various bugfixes / enhancements to web gui.
- Fixed display bug where username did not display in gui.
- conf/users.conf is created, and users can edit their username and password there.
- fixed random error when initializing.

Last edited by blawar,

NickyRay

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Nut v3 gives error about keys.txt needed on windows 10. Nut 2.7 is working good.
Nut 3 is 100+ mb in size while Nut 2.7 is under 50mb.
Huge jump in size?

mdmachine

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks like v3 is been massively updated. Lots more lines of code. lol
I couldn't get v3 headless to work on nix, GUI worked fine.

Oyee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I got this working with both USB and network install. USB install's a lot faster than network install but is there a way to make network install faster? It only averaged at around 2MBPS per Tinfoil.

opmas

Trophies
XP
Country
How to make the latest NUT? it says could not load keys.txt. I never encountered this issue before. How to make this run?

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Running nut.py on a raspberry pi 4 with 4G of memory. I have a lot of nsp/xci in my incoming folder. When I run it with the organize flag it eventually runs out of memory. Thinking about cutting that folder into smaller chunks and running them in batches. Does anyone else have to do this? What’s your strategy for introducing large groups of new content to nut?

blawar

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
file- nut guti.py line 390 in [module]
also line 369
line 630 in inittitles
line 640 in initfiles

didnt work- keyerror : timestamp
failed to execute script nut-gui

no idea?

clear out your titledb folder or delete titledb/files.json

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

How to make the latest NUT? it says could not load keys.txt. I never encountered this issue before. How to make this run?

This is not an error, its a warning. you can ignore it if you are only serving files to tinfoil with it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Running nut.py on a raspberry pi 4 with 4G of memory. I have a lot of nsp/xci in my incoming folder. When I run it with the organize flag it eventually runs out of memory. Thinking about cutting that folder into smaller chunks and running them in batches. Does anyone else have to do this? What’s your strategy for introducing large groups of new content to nut?

I have not tried using using it with only 4GB of ram. I will see if there is a memory leak.

However a hack to work around this for now is to partition the scan. Running the following commands will partition the files into 8 buckets to reduce processing. You could also partition it based on type: nut.py -o --base 1 --update 0 --dlc 0

nut.py -o --shards 8 --shard 0
nut.py -o --shards 8 --shard 1
nut.py -o --shards 8 --shard 2
nut.py -o --shards 8 --shard 3
nut.py -o --shards 8 --shard 4
nut.py -o --shards 8 --shard 5
nut.py -o --shards 8 --shard 6
nut.py -o --shards 8 --shard 7

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have not tried using using it with only 4GB of ram. I will see if there is a memory leak.

However a hack to work around this for now is to partition the scan. Running the following commands will partition the files into 8 buckets to reduce processing. You could also partition it based on type: nut.py -o --base 1 --update 0 --dlc 0

nut.py -o --shards 8 --shard 0
nut.py -o --shards 8 --shard 1
nut.py -o --shards 8 --shard 2
nut.py -o --shards 8 --shard 3
nut.py -o --shards 8 --shard 4
nut.py -o --shards 8 --shard 5
nut.py -o --shards 8 --shard 6
nut.py -o --shards 8 --shard 7

I'm quite certain this is due to my machine specs vs an actual mem leak. Please don't spend time hunting down my stupid edge case.

I'm just happy when my code works...sharding is some next-level ish to include in a switch app. Didn't even occur to me looking at the flags. Precisely the strategy I was looking for. Will give it a shot. Thanks for the hint (and the app!)

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hmm...I've got NUT running, and it shows stuff there, but when I open Tinfoil on my Switch (which is wired to my PC), go to File Browser and select usbfs:/, nothing appears. None of my NSP or XCI files, or anything.

xFlesk

Trophies
Website
thecompany.pl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hmm...I've got NUT running, and it shows stuff there, but when I open Tinfoil on my Switch (which is wired to my PC), go to File Browser and select usbfs:/, nothing appears. None of my NSP or XCI files, or anything.

i had the same problem when i updated tinfoil to version 13 v9. it seems that version v9 has a problem.
i go back to tinfoil 13 v8 and everything works fine

strikingeuphony

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you get it to this point, go to the device manager on your computer.
Find libusbK USB Devices, expand that, you'll see tinfoil.
Uninstall the driver(make sure you click delete the driver)
Afterwards, don't restart.
Unplug the cable from the switch.
Exit and restart tinfoil. Don't put the cable in before tinfoil loads our it will hang at loading usb files.
Run Nut server
Once tinfoil and nut server is loaded, insert your data cable, the driver will re-install itself, and you should see the list. It's a driver issue. You have to repeat this process sometimes to get things to show. I had to dig to find this workaround.

strikingeuphony

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm...I've got NUT running, and it shows stuff there, but when I open Tinfoil on my Switch (which is wired to my PC), go to File Browser and select usbfs:/, nothing appears. None of my NSP or XCI files, or

Attachments

• Clipboard02.jpg
    Clipboard02.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 104
Last edited by strikingeuphony,

snow_box

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you get it to this point, go to the device manager on your computer.
Find libusbK USB Devices, expand that, you'll see tinfoil.
Uninstall the driver(make sure you click delete the driver)
Afterwards, don't restart.
Unplug the cable from the switch.
Exit and restart tinfoil. Don't put the cable in before tinfoil loads our it will hang at loading usb files.
Run Nut server
Once tinfoil and nut server is loaded, insert your data cable, the driver will re-install itself, and you should see the list. It's a driver issue. You have to repeat this process sometimes to get things to show. I had to dig to find this workaround.
I've tried this multiple times and my usbfs list is still empty.

I should note that Windows didnt automatically re-install the driver so I manually reinstalled it by Device Manger > Tinfoil > update manually > .../windows_driver/tinfoil.ini (from github repo)

Console Logs:
opened fat dir: system:/
opened fat dir: user:/
dep write parseReportData failed 8C820000
NUT write packet failed!

More info:
NUT v3.3
Tinfoil v13.0

System ver: 13.2.0
Atmosphere 1.2.5

Tried with both MTP enabled and disabled. I should also note that I've used GoldLeaf before and installed the corresponding drivers for that. This maybe why I'm having this driver issue, I'm not sure but I've deleted and reinstalled drivers for tinfoil multiple times ever since.

Does anyone have any insight, I can't seem to figure it out. @blawar if you could help, that would be incredible

Last edited by snow_box,

Katcountrygirl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello Blawar thank you so much for such an amazing program I use it all the time. Ive noticed a couple things. If you change the default save paths it has a hard time sorting them correctly. For example I'd like base games to be in a "base" folder and updates to be in a "updates" but it seems if I do this it cant figure out what goes where. Also is it possible to organize without renaming? Additionally I'm having trouble adding the remote pull path. Im not exactly sure what to add for the "host" and "port" section in a gdrive layout. Also for UN and PW Im guessing I add my GDrive UN and PW. Thanks again and Id appreciate any help.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: