NUSspli says that downloading games to the nand is dangerous. Why is this?

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah but I have like a 16 gig micro SD card, wtf do I do? Like can I use an external SSD on usb????
I don't know about an SSD, but an external harddrive works fine. Though you need a USB Y cable since the Wii U's USB ports put out very little power.

Trophies
XP
*sigh* this was already explained thoroughly multiple times.

It's dangerous because the amount of data being written to both download and install items to the NAND pushes serious strain on the NAND. Not only that, if the process is interrupted, or an error occurs it can cause corrupted data to be written to the NAND. That on the NAND is a big no no unless you want a big useless brick instead of a console. Not to mention that it can also cause undefined behavior which can also cause bricks.

You can download the files to the SD Card and install to the NAND if you want, but to ensure longer NAND life-time it's best to install to USB.

The NAND as it is already has a limited life-cycle because of the intensive writes on it, adding more strain to that isn't gonna help.

Trophies
XP
If you're going to switch to actively using USB I'd recommend getting a compatible HDD if you aren't already using one. They have long life-times and large storage amounts, as well as faster data-speeds.

I'm pointing this out just in case you decided to do something like use a Pen-Drive (USB Stick / Flash Drive), because those will almost certainly die off extremely quickly which will result in unrecoverable data loss.

Trophies
XP
has anyone tried transferring them from the sd to the nand from the Wii U settings?

Do you mean the games? If so, then I think you got the wrong idea, lmao. The only things NUSspli puts to the SD-Card besides its own config files are the NUS files that get downloaded to the SD Card (if that's your chosen download location anyways). It then passes those files to install them to either NAND or USB, so the games wouldn't be on the SD-Card at all.

I think the only way you can even run actual Wii U games from the SD-Card is Loadiine, but the loading times are abysmal.

I could be misunderstanding your question, and if so, I'm sorry lol.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: https://youtu.be/e1G3aKJ3g18?feature=shared