Homebrew NUSspli - Install content directly from the Nintendo Update Servers to your Wii U

V10lator

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
NUSspli, the NUS simple package loader / installer.

home.jpg

search.jpg

dl.jpg

success.jpg

Important note

If you have any issues try to load this from https://github.com/GaryOderNichts/homebrew_launcher/releases/tag/v2.1_fix
Thanks to @alexander1970, @AmandaRose and @yoyoyo69 for figuring this out.

There's some version on the web calling itself Freeshop. I'm not associated with Freeshop or that version in any way and while it seems all they did was exchanging tga files in the zip file I wouldn't recommend using it and you won't get any support from my end when using it.
no-freeshop.png

Credits

Note that many of these guys did not work directly on NUSspli but I'm just using their work which they wrote before NUSspli was even an idea in my head. Do not contact any of these guys for support!

BETA testers

Usage

I hope the tool is pretty self-explainatory but will slowly add more text to this section.

Bugs

See https://github.com/V10lator/NUSspli/issues

FAQ

Q: What is NUSspli lite?
A: It's NUSspli with the download function removed.

Q: Why NUSspli lite?
A: Because it had been requested before WUP Installer GX2 was ported to Aroma, it should contain less bugs and choice is always good.

Q: Why is downloading/installing to NAND dangerous?
A: Because the Wii U can always brick when something goes wrong while writing to NAND. Also more and more Wii Us brick cause of old-age NAND, so it's common sense to not use it.

Q: Are you breaking Nintendos copyright by using that font?
A: No. We're just using normal API calls to get the font at runtime from the Wii Us operating system. NUSspli does not include a copy of that font!

Q: What's that background music?
A: It's the Dreamy Ambient Background Music Loop by Alexander Blu: http://www.orangefreesounds.com/dreamy-ambient-background-music-loop/

Q: Does this contain a link to That Title Key Site which might be illegal in my country?
A: No. In fact it doesn't use that title key site at all since version 1.9.

Q: How is this tool generating keys on its own?
A: It simply implements the informations given at https://gbatemp.net/threads/3ds-wii-u-titlekey-generation-algorithm-leaked.566318/

Q: Does this contain the Wii U common key, which might be a illegal number?
A: No. That key is stored on your console, so it grabs it at runtime.

Q: The games I downloaded/installed through NUSspli won't run, giving either error code 199-9999 or telling the NNID used to purchase the software had been deleted. Why?
A: In case you're on Tiramisu you didn't follow the official guide ( https://wiiu.hacks.guide ). In case you're on Aroma download sigpatches from https://github.com/V10lator/SigpatchesModuleWiiU/releases and put the 01_sigpatches.rpx file to /wiiu/environments/Aroma/modules/setup on your SD card.

Q: I have an issue!
A: That's not a question! Anyway, make sure to use the latest version of NUSspli. In case that doesn't help go ahead and ask for support.

Q: ETA?
A: WEN.

Q: Is there anything I can do to get better download speeds?
A: In case you haven't already: Get a LAN adapter. With this you get around 27 Mbit/s and way less network errors. More isn't possible with the Wii Us weak hardware.

Q: Will NUSspli stop to work when the eshop shuts down at March 27, 2023 ?
A: According to Nintendo Even after March 27, 2023, and for the foreseeable future, it will still be possible to redownload games and DLC so we guess that the servers will stay online and NUSspli will continue to work just fine. We can't see into the future through.

Changelog

See GitHub (Source code).

Planned features

Note that this list is not setted in stone:
  • Even faster downloads.
  • A full fledged GX2 GUI.

Disclaimer

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details.

Download

Source code

https://github.com/V10lator/NUSspli

badge.svg

Last edited by V10lator,

V10lator

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So is this is like USB download helper exept everything is done on the WiiIU??
This. Oh and it will install the content after downloading (but there's an option to download only, too, as well as another option to install content already on the SD or USB drive (like WUP Installer)).

//EDIT:
So, it is like pkgj (PS3/PSV) for WiiU, right?
I don't know pkgj, sry. But most likely it is what you think it is. :)

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This. Oh and it will install the content after downloading (but there's an option to download only, too, as well as another option to install content already on the SD or USB drive (like WUP Installer)).

//EDIT:

I don't know pkgj, sry. But most likely it is what you think it is. :)
Ah so this is pretty awesome then.

V10lator

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That's a great release does the tool generate a fake ticket on its own? Or from that Wii U title key site..
It gets the json file containing the keys from that title key site and creates its own tickets with it. They contain a human (hex editor) and machinereadable header but I'm not at home right now, so more on this later.

//EDIT @depaul This is directly from the codes. Note that the desription is not 100% correct, for example the strings are IIRC always 64 bit, ending with \0 and padded. Also the first string is the name of the tool (in case other tools want to copy that header format):

Code:
/*
 * The header is meaned to be human (hex editor) and machine readable. The format is:
 *  - Magic 32 bit value (defined by Nintendo)
 *  - 0x00010203040506070809 As a magic value / metadata detection
 *  - 2 bit spacing
 *  - 64 bit "NUSspli\0" string
 *  - 64 bit padding
 *  - 64 bit version string ending with 0x00
 *  - 64 bit padding
 *  - Max 64 bit file type string ending with 0x00
 *  - Padding till 0x000000EE / area reserved for future use
 *  - uint8_t storing the meta version number (currently 1, so 00000001 or 0x01)
 *  - 128 + 32 random bits marking the end of the header usable area
 *  - 256 + 128 + 64 + 32 bit padding (defined by Nintendo / end of header)
 */
void writeHeader(FILE *fp, FileType type)
{
    writeCustomBytes(fp, "0x00010004000102030405060708090000"); // Magic 32 bit value + our magic value + padding
    writeCustomBytes(fp, "0x4E555373706C69"); // "NUSspli"
    writeVoidBytes(fp, 0x9);
    int vl = strlen(NUSSPLI_VERSION);
    fwrite(NUSSPLI_VERSION, vl, 1, fp);

writeVoidBytes(fp, 0x10 - vl);
    char *cb;
    int v;
    switch(type)
    {
        case FILE_TYPE_TIK:
            cb = "0x5469636B6574"; // Ticket
            v = 0xB9;
            break;
        case FILE_TYPE_CERT:
            cb = "0x4365727469666963617465"; // "Certificate"
            v = 0xB4;
            break;
        default:
            cb = "00";
            v = 0xBE;
    }

writeCustomBytes(fp, cb);
    writeVoidBytes(fp, v);
    writeCustomBytes(fp, "0x01"); // TODO: Don't hardcode in here
    writeRandomBytes(fp, 0x14);
    writeVoidBytes(fp, 0x3C);
}

This ticket was created by a older version, so not sure if has all the things defined above but it's prpbably close enough:
upload_2020-5-26_21-16-55.png

//EDIT²: You're also able to enter keys manually.

Last edited by V10lator,

Souperman9

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
So just to be clear, you could download a game onto an SD with this, and replace the fake ticket with one from that ticket site, then install it with WUP Installer?

AmandaRose

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So had a chance finally to try this out and downloaded a few games. None of them would install using the apps built in installer. I had to install them with wup installer gx2.

So can only assume there is some kinda issue going on with the apps built in installer sadly.

Reactions: Alexander1970

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello.:)

I think the Wii U USBHelper is much better......:evil::P:ha:

:rofl2::D

THANK YOU for this awesome Tool !!!! :yay::bow:
And of course your Work,I appreciate your Time for developing and testing,to "serve" us a near perfect and easy to use Homebrew Tool for the Wii U.

Where are now these "loud" Voices - "Wii U and their Homebrew Scene is dead....".:teach:

Thank you very much,my Friend.:D

V10lator

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So can only assume there is some kinda issue going on with the apps built in installer sadly.
Sad to hear this. Could you tell me some of the title IDs you're trying to install, please?

//EDIT:
So just to be clear, you could download a game onto an SD with this, and replace the fake ticket with one from that ticket site
Yes.
then install it with WUP Installer?
No need for WUP Installer. Well, except for that bug @AmandaRose experiences.

Does this stream install or download and then install? And if the latter, any plans on making it a stream install?
The latter. Currenty streamed installations aren't planned, sorry.

//EDIT²: @AmandaRose Also what's the error message you're getting?

Last edited by V10lator,

AmandaRose

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sad to hear this. Could you tell me some of the title IDs you're trying to install, please?

@AmandaRose Also what's the error message you're getting?
The wierd thing is I dont get a error message. I click install and then the title I want to install then the app just goes back to the main screen with nothing installed. Does this with everything I have downloaded so far. Here are just a few of the title IDs I have tried.

Mario 64 00050000-10199500
Super Mario Bros 0005000010106e00
Excitebike 0005000010108200

Last edited by AmandaRose,
Reactions: depaul

V10lator

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The wierd thing is I dont get a error message. I click install and then the title I want to install then the app just goes back to the main screen with nothing installed.
That's really weird and I can't recreate it with the title IDs you provided. Are you maybe downloading only by accident (there's an option for that: Pressing Y after entering the title ID) ? Also what happens when you try to install an already downloaded game (second option on the main menu) ?

If you're not downloading only by accident and if downloading an already installeg game also doesn't show any error: Could you try running https://github.com/dimok789/loadiine_gx2/blob/master/udp_debug_reader/UdpDebugReader.exe on your PC, press F to create a log file, then run the debug build of NUSspli, recreate the error while this setup is running (really no need to configure anything, both tools just need to be in the same network) and handle the logfile over to me after it skipped the installation? Hopefully that will reveal what's going on here.

AmandaRose

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That's really weird and I can't recreate it with the title IDs you provided. Are you maybe downloading only by accident (there's an option for that: Pressing Y after entering the title ID) ? Also what happens when you try to install an already downloaded game (second option on the main menu) ?

If you're not downloading only by accident and if downloading an already installeg game also doesn't show any error: Could you try running https://github.com/dimok789/loadiine_gx2/blob/master/udp_debug_reader/UdpDebugReader.exe on your PC, press F to create a log file, then run the debug build of NUSspli, recreate the error while this setup is running (really no need to configure anything, both tools just need to be in the same network) and handle the logfile over to me after it skipped the installation? Hopefully that will reveal what's going on here.
No its doing it if I select download and install and its doing it if I only select download then select the install option afterwards. I will run the debug program later as I am busy sunbathing in my garden right now lol.

kfrfansub

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Thank you for this amazing homebrew !!!!!

May I now what is the download speed (min/max/average) for the wii u games ?

V10lator

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
May I now what is the download speed (min/max/average) for the wii u games ?
This hardly depends on your connection. With a LAN adapter the values are roughly:

min: 3.5 Mbit/s
max: 4.9 Mbit/s
avg: 4 Mbit/s

Note that these values may change in the future as more multitasking work is planned.

Last edited by V10lator,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse