Number of smartphones around the globe to triple by 2019

osirisjem

I miss the Wii remotes
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What if....wacky idea, Nintendo made a new IP for smart phones????
That was my original point. :)
Especially if their next console flops like the Wii U.
What if their next mobile (3DS) device doesn't do well ?

To leverage future hardware flops, they need to make new IP for smartphones.

God I hate on Nintendo constantly but even I can see this is low quality flamebaiting.

Well, as I see it, Nintendo is making another huge mistake not embracing a new gaming market. Nintendo says they are going to make Lifestyle products .... a risky market .... and also says they are going to avoid the emerging smartphone gaming market. That seems wacky to me.

Nintendo will develop smartphone apps eventually. Ignoring the smartphone market in 2014 is just stupid. A few years from now ... when Nintendo is making smartphone apps ... I'll bump this thread for you.

osirisjem

I miss the Wii remotes
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Why must Nintendo put games on smartphones, but not Sony or MS?

Because Nintendo is an exclusive gaming company and is in a fight for their existence.
The PS4 and xB1 could sell no units and it would barely register a change on their MASSIVE balance sheets.
Nintendo cannot compete with MS and Sony - they will lose. The Wii was an incredible invention by Nintendo. They rightly profited off that success. It was great to see them pull a rabbit out of a hat. The fact that the Wii did so well distracted people from the reality that Nintendo is a small company competing against Giants. Based on the Wii U, there may be no more white rabbits, and the deep pockets of Sony and MS can crush Nintendo. It might be more profitable for 3rd party developers to NOT have Nintendo in the game. Why make 3 versions of a game ... kill off Nintendo and you only have to make 2 versions ! If Nintendo never makes another console .... Nintendo gamers will eventually buy non-Nintendo consoles.

Maybe that would be a good story: Why no more Nintendo is better for 3rd party developers.

Reactions: bj4e2

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Nintendo will develop smartphone apps eventually. Ignoring the smartphone market in 2014 is just stupid. A few years from now ... when Nintendo is making smartphone apps ... I'll bump this thread for you.

Mind if I say that you're already kinda late? Nintendo is already developing apps for smartphones, as stated at a Nintendo business presentation. What the apps are, that is not clear. They're not ignoring smartphones, but they sure as hell won't be announcing that the next big Zelda will come to Android compared to the WiiU or 3DS..

osirisjem

I miss the Wii remotes
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Mind if I say that you're already kinda late? Nintendo is already developing apps for smartphones, as stated at a Nintendo business presentation. What the apps are, that is not clear.

Andim said:
The company has no plans whatsoever to make games for smartphones. Their latest investor's meeting has made this abundantly clear. Those two mentions pertain to Nintendo's plans to use smartphone software to promote their own dedicated hardware.

They are making some non-game software, someday.
I think they should make games for smartphones. New IP for a new platform.
Instead Nintendo want to make "Lifestyle" Health hardware. (good luck Nintendo).

Haloman800

a real gril
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's more phones than the world population estimates for 2019. Barring people with two or three phones, that still means pretty everyone in the world will have a mobile phone. Those are some optimistic predictions.

Or maybe extrapolation can only take you so far.

Incorrect. World population is over 7.2 billion.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
and obviously, like the pc, laptop, netbook, handheld, tv and console and the general economic market, it will just keep on growing forever ;)

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Because Nintendo is an exclusive gaming company and is in a fight for their existence.
The PS4 and xB1 could sell no units and it would barely register a change on their MASSIVE balance sheets.

i guess you are refering to those massive red numbers that some of those companies wrote for over 5 years, constantly?
the only positive number most huge companies have these days is business volume. yes, they sell more of what they have, but most of them make net losses still, they lose money. they pay more than they earn back.
nintendo has only recently started to actually pay more than they made back. after two decades of only net wins.

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Considering how well the 3DS is going, it would be very dumb making games for smartphones. It would make 3DS sales decline... Let's not forget that Nintendo has dominated the handheld game market since the Game Boy. Why would they do something that would risk the company's bussiness in an area they sell well? There's a saying in my country: "You don't make changes to a team that is winning"

If Nintendo should invest in other hardware beside its own, it would make more sense dropping Wii U and making games for PC/Xone/PS4. Not saying they should do this though, but it makes more sense than adopting smartphones as a game platform.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart: wait...my gbatemp acc is almost 10 yrs old lmao