Number of smartphones around the globe to triple by 2019

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by osirisjem, Feb 4, 2014.

1. osirisjem
    OP

osirisjem Wii U: Y U No Sell ?

Jun 19, 2011
    Canada
    :arrow:CTV News

------------------------

2. Ryupower

Ryupower Brood

Oct 8, 2007
    United States
    Mario on a Smartphone can happpen, if Nintendo make their own smart phone type device, as one of next handheld system

3. Andim

Andim GBAtemp Regular

Dec 30, 2012
    gamefan5 likes this.
  4. osirisjem
    OP

Jun 19, 2011
    Canada
  5. Andim

Andim GBAtemp Regular

Dec 30, 2012
    The company has no plans whatsoever to make games for smartphones. Their latest investor's meeting has made this abundantly clear. Those two mentions pertain to Nintendo's plans to use smartphone software to promote their own dedicated hardware.
    What a useless thread this is.

6. FireGrey

FireGrey Undercover Admin

Apr 13, 2010
    What about the fact that Nintendo Hardware sales would be non existent if they did that?
    That means no more Smash Bros and Mario Kart amongst friends on the same TV.
    Also mobile controls are sh*t and mobiles in general are sh*t.

7. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    and how many of them will be i-crap?

8. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    That's more phones than the world population estimates for 2019. Barring people with two or three phones, that still means pretty everyone in the world will have a mobile phone. Those are some optimistic predictions.

Or maybe extrapolation can only take you so far.

[​IMG]

9. osirisjem
    OP

Jun 19, 2011
    Canada
    I think Nintendo could release games for smartphones that would not cannibalize 3DS or console sales.
    Another way to look at it might be .... Nintendo hardware sales will be non-existent (regardless of what they do) and they need to start developing for mobile phones.

10. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. There will come a point where everyone who wants a smartphone will have one. And I doubt that'll even take so long. But what amazes me more is that "over 60 per cent of cell phones" means that that the classic cell phones will still be around at that time (nearly 40% of that amount is still pretty big).

Osiris(source). But I doubt some smartphone company predicting their own future for smartphone manufacturers isn't going to improve those changes.

11. BORTZ

BORTZ Don't pretend you aren't impressed

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    The XKCD makes and excellent point... as well as this not really being "news".

EZ-Megaman and RodrigoDavy like this.
  12. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    They could, but in order for that to happen, the games would have to be crap so that people would still prefer buying their dedicated gaming systems.

13. Celice

Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 1, 2008
    United States
    And here I am with a shitty Net10 minute phone since 2008.

14. RodrigoDavy

RodrigoDavy GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 9, 2011
    Brazil
    The fact is that most big software publishers are not giving proper attention to smartphones. The best games for smartphones are mostly ports of old games or, at most, stripped down versions of new games with inadaquate control scheme. Smartphones need games specially designed for them, with touch-screen and gyroscope in mind, instead of trying to emulate buttons and analogs.

And I don't really understand why this news was posted only to question Nintendo. This questioning Nintendo thing is getting out of hands. Don't like Nintendo? Don't buy their products! It's that simple... If you can't live without Mario or Zelda, too bad.

15. osirisjem
    OP

Jun 19, 2011
    Canada
    No Smartphone games.
    Crappy online play for Wii U.
    A huge controller with a screen (Gamepad).
    Develop hardware that third parties aren't interested in.

I see a trend for Nintendo.

16. Snailface

Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Sep 20, 2010
    Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Thread #298948234: Nintendoom #23049234

The world was filled with game-playing PCs before smartphones and Nintendo did OK with the Wii. The WiiU is failing because it is confusingly marketed, a slow 1st party A-game trickle, and offers no impressive gimmick over the Wii. The WiiU is NOT failing because Nintendo didn't succumb to smartphones. Read PS4. Sony is doing very well with it despite having shit presence in the mobile space.

EZ-Megaman and RodrigoDavy like this.
  17. BlackWizzard17

BlackWizzard17 Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.

Dec 1, 2012
    United States
    E-Arth
    Thats a lot of smart phones.
    But to have mario on one I have two things to say
    1.Em-mule-later's (emulators) I play mario games on there such as mario 64 to mario org to New super Mario bros ds.I'm pretty sure you tempers do to if I'm wrong.

2.How would it help Nintendy, I don't think third party developers would making good ports on the wii u because a half ass mario game was download like 8 billion times. plus what good is it if most criticism is about how all mario games are the same so what is something new that would be brought to smart phones that wouldn't be better on a home console.
    Mario jump ._. Mario star collector's ._. Mario kart touch ._.
    I just can't imagine these titles on a smart phone.

18. Andim

Andim GBAtemp Regular

Dec 30, 2012
    See as many trends as you want, but it doesn't change the fact that Nintendo will not develop smartphone games. Full stop.

RodrigoDavy likes this.
  19. Satangel

Satangel BEAST

Nov 27, 2006
    Belgium
    Bruges, Belgium
    All the more reason for me to really get off my ass and start learning how to make apps -_-. The sooner the better...

20. bj4e2

bj4e2 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 19, 2008
    Jamaica
    What if....wacky idea, Nintendo made a new IP for smart phones????

osirisjem likes this.