NTT DoCoMo begins testing automated Japanese / English translation app

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by jimmyemunoz, Nov 10, 2011.

1. jimmyemunoz
    OP

Member jimmyemunoz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I came up on an interesting app on Engadget. The app is still being tested BUT it is able to translate Japanese to English with 80-90% accuracy. I think this is relevant news to translation projects that in the works or will be started. A Rom hacker can, with the use of this app, essentially do the job by himself or with minimal help. I hope this message is read by some of the willing Rom hackers as it seems just about every gamer likes to see Japanese only games become playable in the English language. :D The carrier started testing the service with 400 users today, and hopes to make it available to all subscribers in the second half of 2012.

Here is a link

2. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    Did you read the article you posted? This is just for like, basic phone calls.

Not for translating games :rolleyes:

3. jimmyemunoz
    OP

United States
    Prowler of course I read the article and I watched the video, thank you. Prowler you would use the phone like this; Just place the phone next to the DS's speaker during spoken dialogue and ta da you would have a translation of the spoken dialogue. ;) Games with written dialogue would, of course, still need a team of multiple members.

4. Celice

Member Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    It cannot understand the nuances of meaning behind text. Humans can't even get translation right, because the depth and worlds we shade with the meaning of words is not something which occurs at the surface of letters and symbols.

Any attempt to machine translate should never be an ally to a translator. These tools are useful for navigating in a place whose language you're not familiar with. Navigating and understanding are not the same thing.

5. s4mid4re

Member s4mid4re  

United States
    It's obviously not useful for rom hackers, but it is some amazing improvement.

The translations on the video were pretty accurate, using correct subject-object-verb relation instead of the English (subject-verb-object) relation.
    I don't know how the nuances (mostly puns) would get translated, as I've never tested this.

6. smile72

Member smile72 NewsBot

Japan
    I don't think this will be useful for games, probably for phone calls as it was intended but not for games.

7. purplesludge

Member purplesludge anyone have any ideas for this space

United States
    This won't be helpful for hacking since the biggest difficulty is in the actual hacking not the translation.

8. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    @purplesludge you would be surprised- I can think of examples on both sides of things (I have seen games that are little more than text files and some games that quite literally use text files and I have seen games that almost exclusively use functional text "press A to jump, press B to run.....") but in general no one area is considered harder.

Anyhow unless they magicked up a human level AI (in which case what the hell people- you have solved several major problems in computing and probably will get a few laws of physics named after you and you are using it for this?) the only thing I would dare to throw this at (beyond the slightly advanced dictionary stage machines get used for now) is the spoof/samurai pizza cats (the game engine and maps are used but a nearly totally different story is told) style of thing and frankly I do not think I have ever seen a samurai pizza cats style of hack (loads of spoofs, loads of improvements, loads of very loose translations and loads of total conversions but never that).

My favourite example of fun things here is "the pen in the box, the box is in the pen" or if you prefer your mathematics I would point you at the problem of 99% accuracy and false positives (recently finding favour when tied to security issues like a scanner).

9. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    This isn't perfect, but I'm not complaining. It is still pretty damn impressive.

One day, maybe, we will finally create a Universal Translator. With that, we will be one step closer to the Federation (A nerd can dream, damn it!).

10. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    its really difficult to have an accurate translation. what google,stars21 and others are doing is just amazing. its gonna be difficult but definitely plausible for quick translations after which revisions and editing can be done.

11. jimmyemunoz
    OP

United States
    Another thing to keep in mind is in games with text only. A rom hacker can take on a team member who can read the lines using this application and ta da..Translated Text! With this method the team members don't have to speak English/Japanese (what have you) and still progress to the final goal.