Hardware NTSC with Wiid

midihead

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,

I stuffed a Wiid chip into my wii the other week (i have a PAL console). It's said in both reviews and on specs on www.wiidmod.com that the Wiid chip will run NTSC backups.

I can run PAL disc with no problme, both original and backups. but the NTSC disc just won't read. I have updated to v2 firmware for the Wiid (i think... but since the instructions says that it's fine when it says "unable to read disc" then how do I know?) bu tthat has not affected anything.

I have the language set to english on the console (why would you have anything else)

Anyone with a wiid here that have been able to run NTSC backups successfully?

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi,

I stuffed a Wiid chip into my wii the other week (i have a PAL console). It's said in both reviews and on specs on www.wiidmod.com that the Wiid chip will run NTSC backups.

I can run PAL disc with no problme, both original and backups. but the NTSC disc just won't read. I have updated to v2 firmware for the Wiid (i think... but since the instructions says that it's fine when it says "unable to read disc" then how do I know?) bu tthat has not affected anything.

I have the language set to english on the console (why would you have anything else)

Anyone with a wiid here that have been able to run NTSC backups successfully?

Jup;
http://wii.scorpei.com/WiiD.html
QUOTEFirst off I have a PAL wii with the DMS chipset, updated to the latest available European firmware (never ran the US version of spm). Here I was surprised again. The name WiiD really put me off at first thinking this wouldn't be a worthwhile product, but after extensive testing this thing can really compete with the top. After installing the chip I noticed nothing different with normal use. Every single DVD I tested (although I do not have very “bad” media) worked without problems official or not. Also other region games worked as expected (nothing that didn't work with the PC patching applications and etc.), but also on both types of rewritables. Here is a list of DVD's I've tested (and thus found working);

midihead

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
yes...well... so what's the first step for me in order to be just as impressed, how do I find out what's wrong?

Any idea?

Can it be the DVDs? I used the same for NTSC backups that worked for PAL backups

Can it be bad install? the PAL backups works...

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well I'm no expert for the WiiD team, but an inproper install shouldn't be causing such a specific problem...maybe you used the wrong update (for the wrong region I mean)? That or the update didn't go correctly (as that is what enables the region patching.

midihead

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ok, I read the instructions again and I am not 100% sure I actually checked the "Finalize" checkbox in Nero when I burnt the firware iso. I'll try again...

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
ok, I read the instructions again and I am not 100% sure I actually checked the "Finalize" checkbox in Nero when I burnt the firware iso. I'll try again...
Good luck, you could also burn the update to a DVD+/-RW btw (saves DVD's when testing
wink.gif
).

midihead

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ok...

Followed the instructions, burnt DVD+R with Nero 6... got the "Unable to read disc" message... turn the console of and then on... the NTSC game did not work. "Unable to read disc".

Tried again and made sure I checked the "Finalize" checkbox... same result.

Tried again using DVD-R... same result.

Verified that my language is set to English... same result.

Tried again using Fuljufilm DVD-RW media... same result

Tried again extracting the dummy.bin from the ISo and burnt... samt result

My Original and backups of PAL disc still work fine so I asume the chip is properly installed and is not broken.

Does the WiiConnect24 affect anything?

Any ideas?

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
ok...

Followed the instructions, burnt DVD+R with Nero 6... got the "Unable to read disc" message... turn the console of and then on... the NTSC game did not work. "Unable to read disc".

Tried again and made sure I checked the "Finalize" checkbox... same result.

Tried again using DVD-R... same result.

Verified that my language is set to English... same result.

Tried again using Fuljufilm DVD-RW media... same result

Tried again extracting the dummy.bin from the ISo and burnt... samt result

My Original and backups of PAL disc still work fine so I asume the chip is properly installed and is not broken.

Does the WiiConnect24 affect anything?

Any ideas?
I really don't know, you are sure you have the PAL upgrade disc?
http://wiidmod.com/Firmware/WiidUpdate_02_PalNew.zip
If you aren't a 100% sure (and you think you might have used the USA/JP version) you should reset the unit to default and retry the update again. That's all I can think of.

midihead

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've now tested to reset the wiid with the 15 second trick... updated again (or I asume I have) with Maxell DVD-R media.

so far... all PAL work but no NTSC. I've tried the following

Trauma Center
Need for Speed Carbon
Bionicle Heroes
Shrek Third

Getting tired of this

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I've now tested to reset the wiid with the 15 second trick... updated again (or I asume I have) with Maxell DVD-R media.

so far... all PAL work but no NTSC. I've tried the following

Trauma Center
Need for Speed Carbon
Bionicle Heroes
Shrek Third

Getting tired of this
Again all I can think of is that you have used the wrong region upgrade, but I can't be sure.. The fact that all your PAL games work seems to show that your unit itself isn't broken...

midihead

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've spoken to the company that installed the wiid and they're gonna do some tests (with my discs) on other wiid chips. We'll see what that brings. It might be a deffective chip... in terms of not being able to update through DVD maybe so it's actually not patched. I'm gonna let this thread wait for a until I hear from them (probably a week or two). I'll get back to you about this.

midihead

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So, turns out I had not used the Region Free application on any of the discs... whoops. Thanks for letting me waste your time, sorry. Games from the list works fine now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: where are my cute girls