NTSC with Wiid

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by midihead, May 18, 2007.

May 18, 2007

NTSC with Wiid by midihead at 12:46 PM (1,349 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. midihead
    OP

Newcomer midihead Newbie

Sweden
    Hi,

I stuffed a Wiid chip into my wii the other week (i have a PAL console). It's said in both reviews and on specs on www.wiidmod.com that the Wiid chip will run NTSC backups.

I can run PAL disc with no problme, both original and backups. but the NTSC disc just won't read. I have updated to v2 firmware for the Wiid (i think... but since the instructions says that it's fine when it says "unable to read disc" then how do I know?) bu tthat has not affected anything.

I have the language set to english on the console (why would you have anything else)

Anyone with a wiid here that have been able to run NTSC backups successfully?

2. Scorpei

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands

3. midihead
    OP

Newcomer midihead Newbie

Sweden
    yes...well... so what's the first step for me in order to be just as impressed, how do I find out what's wrong?

Any idea?

Can it be the DVDs? I used the same for NTSC backups that worked for PAL backups

Can it be bad install? the PAL backups works...

4. Scorpei

Netherlands
    Well I'm no expert for the WiiD team, but an inproper install shouldn't be causing such a specific problem...maybe you used the wrong update (for the wrong region I mean)? That or the update didn't go correctly (as that is what enables the region patching.

5. midihead
    OP

Newcomer midihead Newbie

Sweden
    ok, I read the instructions again and I am not 100% sure I actually checked the "Finalize" checkbox in Nero when I burnt the firware iso. I'll try again...

6. Scorpei

Netherlands
    Good luck, you could also burn the update to a DVD+/-RW btw (saves DVD's when testing [​IMG]).

7. midihead
    OP

Newcomer midihead Newbie

Sweden
    ok...

Followed the instructions, burnt DVD+R with Nero 6... got the "Unable to read disc" message... turn the console of and then on... the NTSC game did not work. "Unable to read disc".

Tried again and made sure I checked the "Finalize" checkbox... same result.

Tried again using DVD-R... same result.

Verified that my language is set to English... same result.

Tried again using Fuljufilm DVD-RW media... same result

Tried again extracting the dummy.bin from the ISo and burnt... samt result

My Original and backups of PAL disc still work fine so I asume the chip is properly installed and is not broken.

Does the WiiConnect24 affect anything?

Any ideas?

8. Scorpei

Netherlands
    I really don't know, you are sure you have the PAL upgrade disc?
    http://wiidmod.com/Firmware/WiidUpdate_02_PalNew.zip
    If you aren't a 100% sure (and you think you might have used the USA/JP version) you should reset the unit to default and retry the update again. That's all I can think of.

9. midihead
    OP

Newcomer midihead Newbie

Sweden
    I've now tested to reset the wiid with the 15 second trick... updated again (or I asume I have) with Maxell DVD-R media.

so far... all PAL work but no NTSC. I've tried the following

Trauma Center
    Need for Speed Carbon
    Bionicle Heroes
    Shrek Third

Getting tired of this

10. Scorpei

Netherlands
    Again all I can think of is that you have used the wrong region upgrade, but I can't be sure.. The fact that all your PAL games work seems to show that your unit itself isn't broken...

11. furikuri

Newcomer furikuri Newbie

France
  12. Scorpei

Netherlands
  13. midihead
    OP

Newcomer midihead Newbie

Sweden
    I've spoken to the company that installed the wiid and they're gonna do some tests (with my discs) on other wiid chips. We'll see what that brings. It might be a deffective chip... in terms of not being able to update through DVD maybe so it's actually not patched. I'm gonna let this thread wait for a until I hear from them (probably a week or two). I'll get back to you about this.

14. midihead
    OP

Newcomer midihead Newbie

Sweden
    So, turns out I had not used the Region Free application on any of the discs... whoops. Thanks for letting me waste your time, sorry. Games from the list works fine now.