Hacking NTSC VC wads on a PAL wii

koelkas

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello everyone, I just started to hack my wii and it's a lot a fun, thanks to anyone who's developing those wonderful tools I'm using. I managed to do pretty much everything I wanted but I'm stuck at some point: when it comes to get Japanese or american wads to work on 60hz.

I am using a Pal wii on 4.3, with a RGB cable. I have the homebrew channel with "Usb Loader GX", "Multiple Mod Manager" and "NIntendon't". I'm patching my wads with wwpacker 1.84, and depending on what I do (just region free, smart video patch NTSC=>pal, brute video patching on PAL 480i,...), I get three types of results:

- Not working, black screen.
- Working OK but on 50hz
- Working on 60hz but with reddish colors (black and white with my composite cable).

(To be more specific, I can easily get a correct 50 hz image with most games, except the famicom and MSX Japanese wads).

What could I do to make it work on 60hz perfectly? Any suggestions?

I guess the problem could come from the TV, but I don't think so, as my PAL 60hz Gradius 3 works nice, as well as some NTSC wii and gamecube games.

thank you all

Reactions: SaulFabre

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello.:)

Hello everyone, I just started to hack my wii and it's a lot a fun, thanks to anyone who's developing those wonderful tools I'm using. I managed to do pretty much everything I wanted but I'm stuck at some point: when it comes to get Japanese or american wads to work on 60hz.

I am using a Pal wii on 4.3, with a RGB cable. I have the homebrew channel with "Usb Loader GX", "Multiple Mod Manager" and "NIntendon't". I'm patching my wads with wwpacker 1.84, and depending on what I do (just region free, smart video patch NTSC=>pal, brute video patching on PAL 480i,...), I get three types of results:

- Working OK but on 50hz
- Working on 60hz but with reddish colors (black and white with my composite cable).

(To be more specific, I can easily get a correct 50 hz image with most games, except the famicom and MSX Japanese wads).

I guess the problem could come from the TV, but I don't think so, as my PAL 60hz Gradius 3 works nice, as well as some NTSC wii and gamecube games.

thank you all

Many VC Games (Japanese) needs to be "patched" to 240p to work.You will "find" it in the Internet.
(Please no Asking about Links,you pretty know it for sure - GBAtemp Rules).:)

Some have this Solution with "Press the "Home" Button right after the Start".

Start the game normally until you see the black screen. Connect the Nunchuck to the Wiimote and press Home to see the menu options. Now press A + 2 + Z together which should result in a short "ping-like" sound.

Thank you.:)

Last edited by Alexander1970,

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hello.:)

Many VC Games (Japanese) needs to be "patched" to 240p to work.You will "find" it in the Internet.
(Please no Asking about Links,you pretty know it for sure - GBAtemp Rules).:)

Some have this Soluton with "Press the "Home" Button right after the Start".

Thank you.:)
You always impress me with your Wii knowledge!
:bow:

koelkas

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thank you all for your quick answers.
That's the correct one - NTSC mode has S-video (with Y using the red pin) instead of RGB

Does that mean that I just can't make it work properly using my CRT TV and RGB cable? Any way to force PAL maybe?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Some have this Solution with "Press the "Home" Button right after the Start".

OK thanks I'm gonna check that, it's very interesting! A+1+Z on the "operations guide" menu seems to be the way to get 240p when it is possible.

Reactions: Alexander1970

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Does that mean that I just can't make it work properly using my CRT TV and RGB cable? Any way to force PAL maybe?
The French invented RGB as a consumer format to re-unify Europe after their mostly-nationalistic decision of not using PAL, the fact it is higher quality than the traditional color encodings is just a nice side effect;

The Wii (and all previous european Nintendo consoles going back to the NES) instead have RGB to maximize compatibility with French TVs, the fact it is a region-free color system has nothing to do with it, in fact (as you personally noticed) it was never available in NTSC modes, and being higher quality than composite is just a minor marketing advantage to sell more cables to people who already have a PAL compatible display

YPbPr (which can be converted to RGB with a fairly simple circuit) is the only region free video format on the Wii

It's possible to try patching titles to different video modes (there are in fact multiple different patches, so the kind you apply to a wad before installing is different from the feature in gecko os/usb loaders, ...) but as you noticed, it is far from a clean or universally compatible solution hack

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador

- Working OK but on 50hz

thank you all
For patch a NTSC VC WAD for force it to run in NTSC in a PAL Wii, you can use @stev418's Custom NAND Loader MOD 1.1 which can be downloaded here:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/custom-nand-loader-mod-1-1.198242/
For apply that patch you will need the wwPacker v1.84 tool which can be downloaded here:
https://gbatemp.net/download/wwpacker.36649/
Greetings ;)

int3rloper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello,
I bump this thread because i have an issue after patching NTSC WAD, using @stev418's Custom NAND Loader MOD 1.1
My WAD Manager return me an error while installing the WAD => content#07 : error 1022
I don't know why, and how to correct that.
Do you have any idea ?
Regards

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
Hello,
I bump this thread because i have an issue after patching NTSC WAD, using @stev418's Custom NAND Loader MOD 1.1
My WAD Manager return me an error while installing the WAD => content#07 : error 1022
I don't know why, and how to correct that.
Do you have any idea ?
Regards
Could you try installing it using another WAD manager such Wii Mod Lite, YAWMM, Multi-Mod Manager?
And where are you trying to install (Wii or vWii of Wii U)?

int3rloper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi SaulFabre, thanks for your quick answer.
I tried using wii mod lite, MMM and YAWMM, and i have the same error, but with more description :

"installing content #07 error (-1022) content did not match hash in TMD. Try with AHBPROT mode or an iOS with the correct permissions"

I'm trying to install on PAL Wii, and the original WAD is The Legend of Zelda : Ocarina of Time USA Version.
I'm using wwPacker v1.84 to patch the wad, with the custom nand loader of stev418 (ios9 so forceNTSC loader)

Finally, i'm using iOS 249 to install my WAD.

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
Hi SaulFabre, thanks for your quick answer.
I tried using wii mod lite, MMM and YAWMM, and i have the same error, but with more description :

"installing content #07 error (-1022) content did not match hash in TMD. Try with AHBPROT mode or an iOS with the correct permissions"

I'm trying to install on PAL Wii, and the original WAD is The Legend of Zelda : Ocarina of Time USA Version.
I'm using wwPacker v1.84 to patch the wad, with the custom nand loader of stev418 (ios9 so forceNTSC loader)

Finally, i'm using iOS 249 to install my WAD.
Is AHBPROT enabled in the meta.xml of your WAD manager?
Did you try launching the WAD manager from a forwarder channel instead of HBC?
Could you try using this guide? https://wii.guide/wiimodlite.html (i think WiiModLite uses IOS58)

int3rloper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
AHBPROT is enabled in the meta.xml of WiiModLite (<ahb_access/>).
I used the guide for WiiModLite, avec iOS58, but same result.
I don't know how to launch WiiModLite from a forwarder channel. How it works ? I need to install a channel that point to WiiModLite ? How can i do that ?

Regards,

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
How it works ? I need to install a channel that point to WiiModLite ? How can i do that ?
Yep, you need to install a forwarder channel for Wii Mod Lite to your Wii System Menu.
Get this forwarder WAD from official GitHub repo of WiiModLite (mantained by RiiConnect24) https://github.com/RiiConnect24/Wii-Mod-Lite/releases/download/v1.7/WiiModLite_v1.7_Forwarders.zip
Also try using the latest Wii Mod Lite (v1.7) https://github.com/RiiConnect24/Wii-Mod-Lite/releases
Launch Wii Mod Lite from HBC, then install the WiiModLite forwarder WAD as you normally do, then exit to Wii System Menu and launch WiiModLite from its forwarder in the Wii System Menu. Then try installing the WAD you've tried to install before.

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
Thank for the explaination, I install WiiModLite 1.7 forwarder, unfortunatly ive the same error.
same with WiiModLite 1.7
then i think it's not a issue with the WAD manager but with the content of the WAD.
Have you checked if the original (and patched) WAD isn't corrupted?

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
Sorry for double posting but another solution befre reinstalling your WAD: have you first uninstalled the WAD (and ticket from it) using WiiModLite, AnyTitle Deleter or something else?
For uninstall these you need to know what title ID is using your WAD (TLOZ: OoT WAD NTSC-U ID is NACE).

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
The install of the original WAD is working good. I think its from the patch WAD. How can i make further check on it ?
Try loading your patched WAD in Dolphin Emulator, if it loads and can be played, then it's working.
But if Dolphin throws a error that says that some content of the WAD is corrupted, broken, or something else, then it's not working.
Try patching again your original WAD.
Also, check this:
Sorry for double posting but another solution befre reinstalling your WAD: have you first uninstalled the WAD (and ticket from it) using WiiModLite, AnyTitle Deleter or something else?
For uninstall these you need to know what title ID is using your WAD (TLOZ: OoT WAD NTSC-U ID is NACE).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM