NTSC USA Wii - Fried graphics card - Where to fix in UK?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Ad_Enuff, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Ad_Enuff
    OP

Member Ad_Enuff GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I have a poor sozzled US Wii that has its graphics card fried and displays lines across the screen when playing certain games during dark sequences.

I phoned Nintendo UK to see if they would fix and they said there isnt an arrangement at teh moment to fix other region machines.

Does anyone know of a company in the UK that can help? A local company said £150, but at that price I might as well bin it/eBay it and buy a new one.

Any takers?

2. Ad_Enuff
    OP

Member Ad_Enuff GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I assume my best bet is to buy a UK machine, and install a mod chip? That way I can play all regions and play backups and so forth?

I didnt particulary want to go down that road, but Nintendo Europe has forced my hand....which is a real shame.

I've tried to be good and not result to Mod chips.....but with Nintendo Europe not being able to help and local shops charging a small fortune to fix a NTSC machine, economics dictate that I follow my instincts.

Shame.....

3. ashesburn

Member ashesburn GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Not sure whether you still need help but here goes.

I just had my NTSC Jap Wii fixed. My bro forgot to use the stepdown transformer and plug it directly into the UK socket. Burnt something inside.
    This is the place -> http://www.consolerepairsuk.com/nintendo-wii-repairs.php.
    Tell them your problem and ask for a quote. They'll get back to you pretty quick.

If you're in London, you could ask to drop off and pick up personally. Wanted to save cost and to avoid unnecessary damages that might be inflicted during postage. =)

They quoted 45-65quid to repair and in the end it was 60quid.

Had to buy a 3rd party 100-240v AC adapter myself though.

But it's all up and running now.