NTSC GC games on Pal Wii with VGA cable

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by zoner, Apr 15, 2010.

Apr 15, 2010
  1. zoner
    OP

Newcomer zoner Member

Australia
    Hi total newbie here, but I have done quite a bit of reading.

I'm using my pal wii with a VGA cable. I haven't soft modded it yet, but what will be the best method/loader to play NTSC backup GameCube games that support progressive scan on the pal wii. Also, I'll need a gamecube memory card to save my games too, correct? Are there any GC loaders that can force 480p on non 480p games? Finally, is it okay to trim games for multi loading on one disc?

Thanks for the help.

2. NoBot

Newcomer NoBot Member

Germany
    1. Yes, you need a memory card for gc-games.
    2. Yes. For example Waninkoko's cMIOS lets you select the video mode if you hold B while loading a backup. (Didn't test it myself.)
    3. In general, yes. Depends on which games you shrink and burn together. You can look at one of the compatibility lists.

3. zoner
    OP

Newcomer zoner Member

Australia
    Great, thanks for the response. So I take it Waninkoko's cMIOS can be used together with a GC loader of choice? Can it also be used with a Wii USB loader? I'm thinking about Madworld, since it doesn't support 480p but has been forced successfully before.

4. NoBot

Newcomer NoBot Member

Germany
    MIOS is only used for gamecube games. Wii games use some version of IOS. Most usb-loaders have an option to manually set the video mode.

5. zoner
    OP

Newcomer zoner Member

Australia
    Which USB loader for Wii games which has the video mode changer would you recommend?

6. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    [quote='zoner')but what will be the best method/loader to play NTSC backup GameCube games that support progressive scan on the pal wii.
    That'll be gamma or neogamma. There aren't the same, but I think the differences are mostly for wii games (someone please correct me if I'm wrong)

Aside a GC memory card, you also need a gamecube controller. There is no way to use wii controllers in the games (or USB stuff, for that matter).

QUOTE(NoBot]2. Yes. For example Waninkoko's cMIOS lets you select the video mode if you hold B while loading a backup. (Didn't test it myself.)
    Hold on a second. It's true that cMIOS based loaders can force the video mode, just like you said. But I used to have this cable, and forcing games that didn't supported progressive scan to begin with did just squad.

(note: I only tried gamma...perhaps the later neogamma versions do things better, but to be honest, I seriously doubt it).

QUOTE('zoner')Can it also be used with a Wii USB loader? I'm thinking about Madworld, since it doesn't support 480p but has been forced successfully before.[/quote]
    It can certainly be used with a USB loader. And as for wii games, things are pretty much the opposite of the gamecube games: you can safely assume that it will support 480p. [​IMG]
    (not so long ago, someone with a similar cable had problems with a trauma team game and the first 2 games of Metroid Prime trilogy might also not work perfect...but other than that, it should all work great [​IMG] ).

EDIT: I know at least usb loader CFG, usb loader GX and uLoader have options for video forcing (most likely wiiflow as well), but when I was still using that cable I never had to actually force anything.

7. zoner
    OP

Newcomer zoner Member

Australia
    I see, thanks. So you never managed to force an old game successfully to work on VGA, but the Gamecube games that support progressive scan worked right? By holding B beforehand and choosing the option (blindly I would assume)? It's strange the first two games of metroid prime trilogy wouldn't work, as the games support progressive scan. Well, the old gamecube ones at least. One more Q, for gamecube multi iso games, would DVD+R DL be work fine? Also it says in the multi iso game program that I need to choose a region, if the games are NTSC and my wii is pal, do I still choose pal? "Select the region of your Wii.
    Click "Create MultiGame ISO" button.l"

I found this with Neogamma, so I thought it might work with other things. http://lefilsdalger.blogspot.com/2010/04/f...-for-games.html

8. zoner
    OP

Newcomer zoner Member

Australia
    Anyone help with the last q's?

9. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    Try to avoid DL discs as much as you can. I think you have no idea how much stress it is for a drive to read burned DL discs.

I recently added video mode patches for gamecube to NeoGamma. Once you have a GC controller and GC games, you can try 2 things:
    Waninkoko's cMIOS + NeoGamma GC mode MIOS
    WiiGator's cMIOS + NeoGamma GC mode internal + force PAL/NTSC 480p(try both!) + video mode patches

And NeoGamma also has video mode patches for wii games, maybe it helps to force games to 480p, maybe not.

10. zoner
    OP

Newcomer zoner Member

Australia
    Okay, thanks for the tip. I'll stick with single layer discs. I was going to start the softmod, but on the complete guide it says "Note: We know version 19 of Waninkokos cIOS is out, but it's best to wait until it is supported by the major backup loaders for optimal results."

Has this changed and is it supported or should I stick with rev17?

11. Krestent

Member Krestent What to post?

United States
    Rev19 can be confusing for most people because of the many choices, but currently all loaders support it. For now, use rev17 and update to rev19 when you need it.

12. zoner
    OP

Newcomer zoner Member

Australia
    Tried the force video modes. The 480p one makes the game play and I can hear the music but the screen is black. Pal 480p makes the game not load at all. I hold B while loading the games but I don't know if it's going into 480p mode. I've got 5 games on one disc and two work, but there's no picture via vga. Dissapointing [​IMG].

13. Dr. Clipper

Member Dr. Clipper GBAtemp Addict

Australia
    Most of the progressive capable NTSC games on the GameCube need you to hold B and then push A either once or twice before they actually switch. The reason to push A is that holding B just brings up a yes/no question asking if you are sure you want to go to progressive mode, and that question appears while still in interlaced mode, so you have to do it blind in your case. Thankfully, 'Yes' is the default response on most of these games that ask the question.