NTSC CFW on 9.1.0-20J n3ds? Can it be done?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Vondosaurusrex, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Vondosaurusrex
    OP

Vondosaurusrex Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 16, 2015
    United States
    I have recently found a seller of a used Japanese new 3ds for a good price (~$140). I found out he has an exploitable firmware on it, but looking around here I gbatemp I can hardly seem to find any info on japanese n3dses running ntsc emunands. If I could get any help that would be great. If it is useful, my bother has a sky3ds that I could use as a japanese copy of cubic ninja.

Thanks guys!

2. lemanuel

lemanuel Maxconsole's All-Knowing Lurker

Dec 11, 2014
    Portugal
    Your guy to ask is @Ronhero ;)
    But maybe other ppl will also be able to give some useful input.

Just on a side note, forget the "ntsc" term. It's Jap/Eur/US consoles.

Marko76 likes this.
  3. SickPuppy

SickPuppy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    United States
    I don't think NTSC has anything to do with handheld consoles.

Marko76 and lemanuel like this.
  4. Marko76

Marko76 GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Clydebank
    Do you mean American emunand?? NTSC is a type of tv signal used both in America and Japan and various other countries IE an American Wiiu and a Japanese Wiiu are both NTSC

Zidapi likes this.
  5. Vondosaurusrex
    OP

Newcomer
    Sep 16, 2015
    United States
    lmao sorry about that; the last time I've worked with any homebrew was gamecube and wii, so that was what I knew. I'll be using US from now on

6. SickPuppy

SickPuppy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    United States
    NTSC I believe had to do with tube TV's. Now that all tv's are digital I don't think you'll be seeing PAL and NTSC any more.

lemanuel likes this.
  7. Ronhero

Ronhero Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die

Jun 28, 2014
    United States
    Arizona Bay
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTSC
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTSC-J

Even though analog tv is a thing of the past it's still a standard in video games consoles. Also dvd are governed by the same but use numbers for regions

8. dkabot

dkabot Better With Others' Systems Than Their Own

Sep 9, 2014
    United States
    Region swapping is fairly simple so long as you can run homebrew. Install titles of other region -> install secureinfo_a of other region -> remove titles of old region.
    I did it on SysNAND, though that was before there was EmuNAND without Gateway.

Just know that if you region swap a N3DS you'll probably lose eShop access for good (I mean, you could switch it back, but on the new region) though if you're using CFW for things you're unlikely to care.

9. Vondosaurusrex
    OP

Newcomer
    Sep 16, 2015
    United States
    That's what ronhero was telling me in our PMs. I assume "that iso site" has the stuff I need? and yeah I really don't care much about eshop access, so long as I can update things with cias. I prefer physical media anyways.

10. Simplicity

Simplicity Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 14, 2013
    United States
    He's mainly referring to EMUNAND, he may likely want to remain on 9.1.0-20J, but run a 9.5 US EMUNAND. Not sure how it would be done though, personally.

11. dkabot

dkabot Better With Others' Systems Than Their Own

Sep 9, 2014
    United States
    The process on EmuNAND is the exact same in terms of what needs to be done, I was just stating I did it on SysNAND.

12. Ronhero

Ronhero Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die

Jun 28, 2014
    United States
    Arizona Bay
    You can do it on emunand or system nand or both.

Just install all the 9.2 files then swap the sec a file then delete the old ones

13. Vondosaurusrex
    OP

Newcomer
    Sep 16, 2015
    United States
    I'll probably just do it on the emunand then, idk if I mess that up there's a smaller chance of bricking my new $140 device

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

If I use CakesFW can I make the system autoboot to the emunand then? Basically have my system act like a US one but still have the jap files on there?