Hacking NTR Preview 2 N3DS Streaming 3-4X Faster! (Side by Side Comparison)

TCPixel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With the recent release of NTR, the video streaming has been vastly improved by 3-4x! This is awesome news for anyone who wants to capture their 3DS for live streaming or recording purposes. The improvements made the streaming a practical option for capturing the 3DS now! I have made a side by side comparison of the first and second preview so you can see the improvements with your own eyes.

The games tested are:

• A Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
  • Animal Crossing: New Leaf
  • Mario Kart 7
  • Super Smash Bros. 3DS
You can find and download the preview here:
https://github.com/44670/BootNTR/releases/tag/3.4preview2

Side by Side Comparison

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Only thing left now is sound
That would be cool, but it might not be possible. Not speaking from a performance standpoint, but if the method used for the streaming is sending the video from the memory maybe the sound is handled differently and we won't be able to get it. This is speculation on my part since I'm not sure how all of this is done.
Use the headphone port on 3DS to record or connect to your speaker.
That's a lot less convenient. I'm not saying it's unreasonable, but it's less favorable than having sound already, assuming it's possible.

justln

Trophies
XP
Country
That would be cool, but it might not be possible. Not speaking from a performance standpoint, but if the method used for the streaming is sending the video from the memory maybe the sound is handled differently and we won't be able to get it. This is speculation on my part since I'm not sure how all of this is done.

That's a lot less convenient. I'm not saying it's unreasonable, but it's less favorable than having sound already, assuming it's possible.
Streaming sound would still need bandwidth though which would be put to better use with improving performance.

Deleted member 370671

Ball of Kawaiiness
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
People that spent the price of a brand new collector console for a capture card be like
200_s.gif

PixelBurst

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I made a quick video to show a friend who's interested in capturing 3DS footage. He's really into interpolation techniques to improve framerate in Anime/Videos that are <60FPS and he ran the brief bit I gave him through it and I've got to say, I'm impressed. My network situation isn't the best so had around 30fps with drops as low as 20fps, he mentioned to me that a more constant framerate would make the interpolation better and again if he wanted to he could edit it more to speed up the footage during drops to keep the video at a steady framerate. Just food for thought for those looking to use this to make professional videos.

Edit: Original footage for comparison sake

Last edited by PixelBurst,
Reactions: NekoMichi

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Bottom screen still seems pretty laggy in the stream (Look at the Smash preview for instance). I hope that gets fixed, then capture cards will be worthless XD
You can choose how to prioritize the screens, if you want you can give top and bottom screen the same priority and they will have the same FPS, but the top screen will have lower FPS as a result, better to just disable the bottom screen unless the game uses it heavily, then the top screen will have better FPS. Many people with a capture card only record the top screen anyways.

Tzuba

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I made a quick video to show a friend who's interested in capturing 3DS footage. He's really into interpolation techniques to improve framerate in Anime/Videos that are <60FPS and he ran the brief bit I gave him through it and I've got to say, I'm impressed. My network situation isn't the best so had around 30fps with drops as low as 20fps, he mentioned to me that a more constant framerate would make the interpolation better and again if he wanted to he could edit it more to speed up the footage during drops to keep the video at a steady framerate. Just food for thought for those looking to use this to make professional videos.

Edit: Original footage for comparison sake

Holy crap that looks great

NekoMichi

Retro Collector
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Capture cards are now officially worthless. :D
Technically not worthless, but worth less. Literally. The discounts have already started.
image.jpeg
(wait a minute, there's an overwhelming sense of déjà-vu, have I already posted this here before?)

Last edited by NekoMichi,

SpongeFreak52

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can choose how to prioritize the screens, if you want you can give top and bottom screen the same priority and they will have the same FPS, but the top screen will have lower FPS as a result, better to just disable the bottom screen unless the game uses it heavily, then the top screen will have better FPS. Many people with a capture card only record the top screen anyways.
This is awesome, can't wait to try the update later today!

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
dayum! would be cool if it would work on 10.4 Firm
10.2 FIRM works just fine though. I don't see a need for it supporting newer FIRM until Nintendo change something so the latest firmware breaks on older FIRM.

I know this going to sound bad but,...

How do I get this running on my N3DS I grabbed the pack, do I just dump it all on the root, install the .cia and launch?
Install the CIA, put ntr.bin on the root and launch, wait for it to finish and close BootNTR.
Hold X+Y, enable debugger
Open up NTR Debugger and NTR Viewer
Find your 3DS IP, type connect('3ds ip', 8000) in the debugger and it should connect
Type remoteplay()
The stream should start and the debugger will disconnect with an error after a few seconds, you can now close the debugger.

Technically not worthless, but worth less. Literally. The discounts have already started.
(wait a minute, there's an overwhelming sense of déjà-vu, have I already posted this here before?)
I was exaggerating, but capture cards aren't worth much now. They were always overpriced, but I wouldn't buy one for more than $50 now :P

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: NekoMichi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended