Homebrew NTR Launcher - Bring back that classic DS boot screen for your DS games!

Alex4nder001

Part-time thug
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Could someone tell me what the options do in the .ini file? Also, where can I find the latest compiled 3DS build? Tried going to the Github release page on first post but the latest version is DSi only.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could someone tell me what the options do in the .ini file? Also, where can I find the latest compiled 3DS build? Tried going to the Github release page on first post but the latest version is DSi only.

For NTR Launcher v1.9.9, you name (including the extension) that text file and put it at:
  • sdmc:/nds/ntr_launcher.ini
Code:
[NTRLAUNCHER_ALT]
NTRCLOCK = 0
DISABLEANIMATION = 0
ENABLESD = 0
TWLMODE = 0
RESETSLOT1 = 0

You have the choices of 0 (false) or 1 (true) after the equal sign (=).

NTRCLOCK - This allows the 3DS to run ARM9 clock speed either in:
  • 0 = DSi (TWL) 133 MHz
  • 1 = NDS (NTR) 67 MHz
DISABLEANIMATION - Self explanatory. There's a "LOADING" screen when you launch NTR Launcher.

ENABLESD - I think this is used for certain DS homebrews that can access the SD card in the 3DS or DSi system.
  • This is not the same micro SD card used in the flashcart.
TWLMODE - Not exactly surely, but this is probably for DSi-enhanced games that can make use of higher quality sound afforded to DSi but not the DS.

RESETSLOT1 - Certain older DS flashcarts won't work unless that slot is resetted.
  • The original Nintendo DS came with two game slots: SLOT1 for NDS cartridges, and SLOT2 for GBA cartridges.
  • There was probably some dual slots voodoo magic. You'll have to research for yourself the finer details of this.

If you want a simplified and easier to use version, you can convert NTR Launcher v2.2 into a DSiWare *.cia using SRL_Scripts_dpad_5678.

This version has a configuration file with only two (2) options:
  • sdmc:/nds/NTR_Launcher.ini
Code:
[NTRLAUNCHER]
RESETSLOT1 = 0
TWLCLOCK = 0

If you're not sure how to convert DSiWare *.nds → DSiWare *.cia, you can grab an already converted *.cia copy and its nds folder from the starter kit found here.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,
Reactions: Diablos90

Tom-B

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Which version of NTR are you using? I tried setting the reset_slot1 to 1 and I still just get the white screen after inserting the cartridge.
Thanks bud

I'm getting the same thing. I don't really need the cyclo but I also get the white screen.

Here's what I have noticed. With my DSTT (Which works fine) when I plug it in, the 3ds selects the (blank) card icon on the home screen so it obviously detects something has been inserted. NTR Launcher can launch it fine.

With my R4 SHDC and CycloDS Evolution, nothing happens and ntr launcher gives a white screen. I wonder if it's an issue with the cards somehow being blocked by the firmware even in Luma.

If anyone's still around who has a cyclo, when you put it in, does the 3ds highlight the card slot, indicating it detected it?

edit: I upgraded to 2.2 and kept removing/inserting the card and it started working. Nostalgia! I haven't seen this menu for about 10 years :D Back in 2008 before I got a DSi this was my flastcard :)

Last edited by Tom-B,

LaronX

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Having issues getting an R4 card to start with this. All I get is a white screen on both of the screens. Do I need to change some setting? I am using orginal R4, the one that doesn't take SHDC micro SDs

Velcositro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Please explain to me what the options do in the .ini file for version 2.4, and what value is "spanish" in the language setting? It's set to -1, is that english?

MushGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The ntr_launcher.ini file has changed as of 2.4, I believe. This is what's in the file now:
Code:
[NTRLAUNCHER]
TWLCLOCK = 0
TWLVRAM = 0
TWLEXTRAM = 0
TWLMODE = 0
SOUNDFREQ = 0
SCFGUNLOCK = 0
RESETSLOT1 = 0
ANIMATEDSPLASH = 0
NTRSPLASH = 0
HEALTHSAFETYSPLASH = 1
DEBUGMODE = 0
LEGACYMODE = 0
LANGUAGE = -1
Can somebody explain what these functions do? I only understand some of them.😅

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
The ntr_launcher.ini file has changed as of 2.4, I believe. This is what's in the file now:
Code:
[NTRLAUNCHER]
TWLCLOCK = 0
TWLVRAM = 0
TWLEXTRAM = 0
TWLMODE = 0
SOUNDFREQ = 0
SCFGUNLOCK = 0
RESETSLOT1 = 0
ANIMATEDSPLASH = 0
NTRSPLASH = 0
HEALTHSAFETYSPLASH = 1
DEBUGMODE = 0
LEGACYMODE = 0
LANGUAGE = -1
Can somebody explain what these functions do? I only understand some of them.😅
  • TWLCLOCK: increases the cpu clock speed to 133MHz
  • TWLVRAM: allows 8- and 32-bit writes to VRAM
  • TWLEXTRAM: allows some/all of the extra RAM from DSi mode, not sure if it's the 32MB WRAM, new IWRAM, or what exactly
  • TWLMODE: probably switches to the DSi BIOS, might also force all other TWL options
  • SOUNDFREQ: increases the audio to 48 kHz
  • SCFGUNLOCK: leaves SCFG unlocked allowing access to the DSi's new hardware, line the internal SD
  • RESETSLOT1: probably makes it reinit Slot-1 before booting it
  • ANIMATEDSPLASH: either enables the splash or makes it animated, not sure which
  • NTRSPLASH: uses the original DS's splash instead of the DSi one
  • HEALTHSAFETYSPLASH: makes it show the normal health & safety info on the bottom screen
  • DEBUGMODE: probably adds extra logging or so, not sure
  • LEGACYMODE: Edit: see below, switches to pre-TWL cart support version of the bootloader
  • LANGUAGE: forces a specific language instead of the console's language (Japanese, English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Chinese, Korean)

Last edited by Pk11,

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
FYI legacy mode is a version of the cart loader code before the update that allowed reading TWL enhanced carts. I was able to maintain that copy of the bootloader in the code and that legacymode setting allows using that instead.

You can use it if the change over to the new code broke compatibility with a flashcart.

Reactions: MushGuy and Pk11

MushGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  • TWLCLOCK: increases the cpu clock speed to 133MHz
  • TWLVRAM: allows 8- and 32-bit writes to VRAM
  • TWLEXTRAM: allows some/all of the extra RAM from DSi mode, not sure if it's the 32MB WRAM, new IWRAM, or what exactly
  • TWLMODE: probably switches to the DSi BIOS, might also force all other TWL options
  • SOUNDFREQ: increases the audio to 48 kHz
  • SCFGUNLOCK: leaves SCFG unlocked allowing access to the DSi's new hardware, line the internal SD
  • RESETSLOT1: probably makes it reinit Slot-1 before booting it
  • ANIMATEDSPLASH: either enables the splash or makes it animated, not sure which
  • NTRSPLASH: uses the original DS's splash instead of the DSi one
  • HEALTHSAFETYSPLASH: makes it show the normal health & safety info on the bottom screen
  • DEBUGMODE: probably adds extra logging or so, not sure
  • LEGACYMODE: Edit: see below, switches to pre-TWL cart support version of the bootloader
  • LANGUAGE: forces a specific language instead of the console's language (Japanese, English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Chinese, Korean)
Thanks for the explanation. As for RESETSLOT1, it most definitely does that, as some flashcarts, such as CycloDS Evolution, need that option enabled to function properly.

stl25

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Apache Thunder just downloaded v2.6 which you released a couple weeks back and can confirm my R4 and CycloDS launch perfectly on my DSi. My N5 did not launch but I am still doing some testing/troubleshooting. Thank you for making it possible to utilize these old carts on DSi/3DS. Your efforts are much appreciated.

Edit: After installing the cia file on my 3DS I just get an error has occurred. Not sure if it is something on my end or not. Standard 11.17 emuNAND with cia installed via FBI.

Edit 2.0: I have found the error of my ways. If you are running emuNAND you need to have the cia installed to both sysNAND and emuNAND. Now my R4/CycloDS/M3DS Real all boot with the app. The only card unable to boot for me is the N5. Has anyone successfully booted this card, and if so what settings did you use in the ini file. Thank you.

Last edited by stl25,
Reactions: andreiarturo

Apache Thunder

OP
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
@Apache Thunder just downloaded v2.6 which you released a couple weeks back and can confirm my R4 and CycloDS launch perfectly on my DSi. My N5 did not launch but I am still doing some testing/troubleshooting. Thank you for making it possible to utilize these old carts on DSi/3DS. Your efforts are much appreciated.

Edit: After installing the cia file on my 3DS I just get an error has occurred. Not sure if it is something on my end or not. Standard 11.17 emuNAND with cia installed via FBI.

Edit 2.0: I have found the error of my ways. If you are running emuNAND you need to have the cia installed to both sysNAND and emuNAND. Now my R4/CycloDS/M3DS Real all boot with the app. The only card unable to boot for me is the N5. Has anyone successfully booted this card, and if so what settings did you use in the ini file. Thank you.
You could try setting the legacy mode option in the ini file. There is no longer a reset slot option as it would be redundent. (turns out the card init code already does that). If you find a setting that work let me know what what it was then do a rom dump of the cart. I can now automatically set settings based on the cart inserted but I would need to know the cart''s gamename/gamecode in the header before I can do that. ;)

Reactions: Valery0p

stl25

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could try setting the legacy mode option in the ini file. There is no longer a reset slot option as it would be redundent. (turns out the card init code already does that). If you find a setting that work let me know what what it was then do a rom dump of the cart. I can now automatically set settings based on the cart inserted but I would need to know the cart''s gamename/gamecode in the header before I can do that. ;)
Sorry for the late reply. I set legacy mode in the ini, but unfortunately the card will still not boot. What would be the best way to try and dump the cart? GodMode9 or some other scene dump tool?

Apache Thunder

OP
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
I recently updated NTR Launcher:

https://github.com/ApacheThunder/NTR_Launcher/releases

Note the reset slot and legacy mode options have been removed as the primary bootloader has the IPC improvements from the last updates to NitroHax.

Anyways give that a try. It probably won't fix the N5 not booting issue but worth a shot. Let me know if it still boots your other carts as well.

Enable the debug mode in the ini file too if the N5 doesn't boot and let me know where it stops at. If it doesn't stop at any text then it loaded the cart's binaries and tried to boot them but the cart's binaries crashed for some reason.

Unlike earlier versions that used colored boxes that NitroHax used, the bootloader has console text system now so the error codes it presents are actually human readable. :P

stl25

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently updated NTR Launcher:

https://github.com/ApacheThunder/NTR_Launcher/releases

Note the reset slot and legacy mode options have been removed as the primary bootloader has the IPC improvements from the last updates to NitroHax.

Anyways give that a try. It probably won't fix the N5 not booting issue but worth a shot. Let me know if it still boots your other carts as well.

Enable the debug mode in the ini file too if the N5 doesn't boot and let me know where it stops at. If it doesn't stop at any text then it loaded the cart's binaries and tried to boot them but the cart's binaries crashed for some reason.

Unlike earlier versions that used colored boxes that NitroHax used, the bootloader has console text system now so the error codes it presents are actually human readable. :P
I tried v2.7 with Debug mode enabled as you requested. As you predicted, the N5 still will not boot. I received an error message stating "Error: Header CRC". This is also true for the R4 SDHC. I will update this post with a pic of the R4. The same error message received for this cart as well. All other carts that were working prior still work (CycloDS, Edge, MSDS Real & R4 Original). Thank you for you continued support of this application and my inquiry.

Attachments

• R4 SDHC_N5.jpg
    R4 SDHC_N5.jpg
    903 KB · Views: 15

Apache Thunder

OP
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Does the prebootloader console report correct game code/name info for those carts prior to bootloader starting? (the centered status text comes from the bootloader, the pre-text with the press A to continue prompt is what I"m talking about).

If so I can send you a test build with the header CRC check disabled just to see if that's that does anything for you.

Good to hear that the previous carts that did work still work. That means I can continue to not have an alternate bootloader in NTR Launcher as the primary one seems to be doing it's job for the most part.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: