Homebrew NSUI Problem with Pokémon for gba

Shomy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I used NSUI to convert pokémon fire red into cia with beta 26, but when i save and reopen the save file, the game freezes and won't boot the save file and it make a freeze sound. So I tried to install beta 27, I did the same thing and now it won't boot yet the game, but now the sound is the default of the gba. Any Help?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pokemon - Fire Red Version
  • Install 7-Zip and right mouse click the *.gba rom → CRC SHA to compare CRC-32 hash.
  • [ADVANsCEne] Release 1674 - Pokemon - Fire Red Version (EUR version)
  • Some GBA VC injections won't work if a sleep mode patch is applied.
    • Content options: Edit content options → VC options: ☐ Apply a Sleep Path to the ROM
  • Game patches and extrasRom save type: Flash 1Mbit (Macronix, ID: 0x09C2) + RTC

In case you get the GBA VC graphical glitch bug,

Shomy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So, the crc sha is different because mine is an italian rom and I didn't activated the sleep mode patch, but I fixed with the rom save type, thanks

Shomy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Now I have another problem, I tried to inject a save file, but it freezes with a black screen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now I have another problem, I tried to inject a save file, but it freezes with a black screen
  • Verify that the *.sav file works for that *.gba rom when played on desktop mGBA emulator.
  • Was the game edited in anyway (ie, romhack)? Did you apply a SRAM save type patch to its rom?
  • If the patched save can't be converted into original save type, play the edited game on 3DS build mGBA or RetroArch (gpSP core).

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,
Reactions: andreiarturo

Shomy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
On mGBA the save works and also is on the original size, PKHeX recognizes it and now every save file won't work with the rom on GBA VC, i think I have to fix something on the rom, not on the save

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On mGBA the save works and also is on the original size, PKHeX recognizes it and now every save file won't work with the rom on GBA VC, i think I have to fix something on the rom, not on the save

1. GodMode9 → hold (R)-shoulder and press (A) on [A:] SYSNAND SDSearch for titles. A list of installed titles should appear.
  2. Press (A) on only the 00040000<TID_LOW> Pokemon - Versione Rosso Fuoco (AGB-P-XXXX) (W).tmdTMD file options...Build CIA (standard).
  3. Press (START) button to exit and boot to HOME Menu.
  4. FBISDgm9/out00040000<TID_LOW> Pokemon - Versione Rosso Fuoco (AGB-P-XXXX) (W).ciaInstall and delete CIA.
    • Reinstalling the game will create a new (fixed) save file found at: sdmc:/Nintendo 3DS/<ID0>/<ID1>/title/00040000/<TID_LOW>/data/00000001.sav
    • :!: Warning! Be careful! Don't reinstall the wrong game! This permanently overwrites and erases the savedata!
  5. Press (HOME) button to exit back to HOME Menu. Launch the reinstalled game.
Does the game work again?

Shomy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@TurdPooCharger I did what you say, I started the game, saved, restarted it and first time It worked, so I restarted a second time and it returned to freeze when I load the save, I think the problem is the cia rom

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@TurdPooCharger I did what you say, I started the game, saved, restarted it and first time It worked, so I restarted a second time and it returned to freeze when I load the save, I think the problem is the cia rom
Recreate the CIA injection like that in post #2, but this time making sure the *.gba rom is this one.

You can't directly copy the,
  • Pokemon - Rosso Fuoco.sav (128 KB)
and paste it in place of the,
  • sdmc:/Nintendo 3DS/<ID0>/<ID1>/title/00040000/<TID_LOW>/data/00000001.sav (257 KB)

See that other thread in post #5 in how to inject/restore and backup GBA VC saves. In the 3ds.hacks.guide, you can change the language to Italian by clicking on this icon at the top right corner.

3ds-hacks-guide-languages.png

Shomy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@TurdPooCharger So i have to check if my rom is the one in the site, what I can do to check? I need a tool? or something else?

EDIT:
I checked the Crc-32 and it's the same of the rom I used before, still not working

Last edited by Shomy,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@TurdPooCharger So i have to check if my rom is the one in the site, what I can do to check? I need a tool? or something else?

EDIT:
I checked the Crc-32 and it's the same of the rom I used before, still not working
Hmm, interesting.

(I) If you have another SD card, preferably a small sized one like 4 GB, try this test.
(II) If you do not own another SD card that's available to do this test setup, continue the test with your main card.
  1. Copy everything off that second SD card to a computer.
  2. Quadruple reformat.
  3. Full Write + Verify the empty card in H2testw. Do not skip.
  4. If the card passes, delete the *.h2w test files.
    • If an error was reported, replaced the hardware failed card and go back to step 1.
  5. Create this temporarily test setup on the SD card. Do not add files from your main setup.
    • FBI v2.6.0 , GodMode9 v1.9.1 , Homebrew Launcher v2.1.1 , Luma3DS v10.1.3
    • FBI , GodMode9 , Luma3DS , new-hbmenu
      • sdmc:/3ds/FBI.3dsx
      • sdmc:/luma/payloads/GodMode9.firm
      • sdmc:/boot.3dsx
      • sdmc:/boot.firm
  6. Add the Pokemon - Fire Red (Italian) injection to the SD card.
    • sdmc:/cias/Pokemon - Rosso Fuoco.cia
  7. Safely eject the SD card from computer. Insert the card into the 3DS system.
  8. Turn on the 3DS. Quickly press and hold the (SELECT) button to access Luma3DS v10.1.3 configuration. Use these exact settings. Press (START) to save.
    • ( ) Enable loading external FIRMs and sysmodules
    • ( ) Enable game patching
    • (x) Show NAND or user string in System Settings
    • ( ) Show GBA boot screen in patched AGB_FIRM
    • ( ) Set developer UNITINFO
    • ( ) Disable Arm11 exception handlers
  9. Rosalina menu inject Homebrew Launcher to a system title.
  10. FBISDciasPokemon - Rosso Fuoco.ciaInstall and delete CIA.
  11. Press (HOME) button to exit back to HOME Menu. Launch the freshly installed game.
  12. (Try to) save the game three (3) separate times: Launch Pokemon → save the game → exit back to HOME Menu → repeat
    • Do not inject or restore your real save. This is for testing purposes.

This test setup will determine whether or not the problem is coming from the main SD card or the 3DS firmware.
  • (A) If the test setup works fine on this second SD card, your main SD card might have a hardware issue or there's data corruption to the Nintendo 3DS folder.
-or-
  • (B) If the test setup also fails to properly save Pokemon - Fire Red, your 3DS might have a software issue with the 3DS firmware.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@TurdPooCharger same thing, it doesn't work, I also tried with another sd card
I'm a bit worried about your 3DS. What model is it? o3DS, o3DSXL, o2DS, etc?

Anyway, let's try one game. Repeat the test in post #11 from steps 6–7 & 10–12 but this time with Pokemon - Emerald Version.

Are the results exactly the same like what happened when you tried saving in Pokemon - Fire Red Version?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@TurdPooCharger it's an old 2ds

Pokémon Emerald works perfectly, I tried more than 3 times to do the step 12 and it works so I think the problem can be Fire Red?
:(

I've seen a related issue before from another o2DS user who couldn't properly play Pokemon Adventure - Red Chapter, a romhack based on the Pokemon - Fire Red Version roms.
At the time when I was helping Vinniemeneer, I was able to verify step-by-step that the romhack worked on my o2DS (no longer own it, gave it away to nephew). Even though he did everything exactly as described with CRC32 hash verifications, Vinnie's o2DS refuses to render the text correctly. Not even repairing the 3DS firmware with CTRTransfer (Type D9) helped.

The exact underlying nature of why PKMN - Fire Red & Red Chapter didn't work was never resolved.

@Skepy, I can guarantee you those instructions in my previous posts work on both of my USA n3DSXL and cousin's USA o3DSXL including the Italian versions of those games, Rosso Fuoco (CRC32: 73A72167) and Smeraldo (CRC32: A0AEC80A).

:unsure: Not sure if changing the Save type: Flash 1Mbit (Sanyo, ID: 0x1362) + RTC will make a difference, or that the same saving problem also happens on the sister game, Pokemon - Leaf Green Version.

For research purpose collecting data, can you also create CIA injection and save testing the (EUR) version of Pokemon - Fire Red Version (CRC32: 84EE4776)? I want to know if this save bug happens on different regional versions of this game.

Last thing you can try after exhuasting the above ideas,
  • Sanyo + RTC save type
  • Leaf Green
  • EUR Fire Red
I don't believe this will resolve the issue, but you can try your luck with CTRTransfer (Type D9) - CTRTransfer if this due to something wrong with the 3DS firmware. Carefully read and follow the Instructions. If after the whole process of reflashing the CTRNAND, reinstalling the tickets, reinstalling TWL system title CIAs, system updating to 11.13E and the o2DS still doesn't want to behave nicely with Pokemon - Fire Red Version, assume yours is a lemon like Vinnie's.

You can reverse the changes of CTRTransfer by restoring the sysnand *.bin image made at step 8 in the Instructions.

Other options to playing GBA games on o3DS, o3DSXL, and o2DS.
These work on the n3DS, n3DSXL, and n2DSXL but not so much on the old 3DS series.

Shomy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@TurdPooCharger Soooo, I was deleting the game from the 3ds to install the new cia and, there were 2 corrupted games and I deleted it, but now in home home screen there aren't games and apps, what's happening???

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@TurdPooCharger Soooo, I was deleting the game from the 3ds to install the new cia and, there were 2 corrupted games and I deleted it, but now in home home screen there aren't games and apps, what's happening???
Ooo, not good. Your SD card's title.db & import.db decided to derp themselves. To fix this, you'll have to relist the games, updates, and dlcs in the Nintendo 3DS folder by recreating those two (2) *.db files. Follow Path (B) when rebuilding the folder.
:!: Do not go straight to reinstalling games if you already have backup copies of their CIAs. Doing this will permanently overwrite and delete their saves. To keep your saves intact, please carefully study those who previously used the Rebuild 3DS Database: Option (B) Full.

Shomy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@TurdPooCharger I tried to fix by checking the sd using the windows Error Checking because only the 3ds folder was corrupted and not the entire sd, and now all software reappeared. Only one thing, after I try pokemon, can you link me a post (if exist) to regenerate the 3ds folder without having to reinstall all software?

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
Noteworthy that CRC32 is not suitable for "hash" checking dumps due to getting collisions easily. Should be SHA1 at least.

And another note (even though it's obviously not the issue here). Many older ROM hacks have never been tested on real hardware. They could rely on emulator bugs.

Shomy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
:(

I've seen a related issue before from another o2DS user who couldn't properly play Pokemon Adventure - Red Chapter, a romhack based on the Pokemon - Fire Red Version roms.
At the time when I was helping Vinniemeneer, I was able to verify step-by-step that the romhack worked on my o2DS (no longer own it, gave it away to nephew). Even though he did everything exactly as described with CRC32 hash verifications, Vinnie's o2DS refuses to render the text correctly. Not even repairing the 3DS firmware with CTRTransfer (Type D9) helped.

The exact underlying nature of why PKMN - Fire Red & Red Chapter didn't work was never resolved.

@Skepy, I can guarantee you those instructions in my previous posts work on both of my USA n3DSXL and cousin's USA o3DSXL including the Italian versions of those games, Rosso Fuoco (CRC32: 73A72167) and Smeraldo (CRC32: A0AEC80A).

:unsure: Not sure if changing the Save type: Flash 1Mbit (Sanyo, ID: 0x1362) + RTC will make a difference, or that the same saving problem also happens on the sister game, Pokemon - Leaf Green Version.

For research purpose collecting data, can you also create CIA injection and save testing the (EUR) version of Pokemon - Fire Red Version (CRC32: 84EE4776)? I want to know if this save bug happens on different regional versions of this game.

Last thing you can try after exhuasting the above ideas,
  • Sanyo + RTC save type
  • Leaf Green
  • EUR Fire Red
I don't believe this will resolve the issue, but you can try your luck with CTRTransfer (Type D9) - CTRTransfer if this due to something wrong with the 3DS firmware. Carefully read and follow the Instructions. If after the whole process of reflashing the CTRNAND, reinstalling the tickets, reinstalling TWL system title CIAs, system updating to 11.13E and the o2DS still doesn't want to behave nicely with Pokemon - Fire Red Version, assume yours is a lemon like Vinnie's.

You can reverse the changes of CTRTransfer by restoring the sysnand *.bin image made at step 8 in the Instructions.

Other options to playing GBA games on o3DS, o3DSXL, and o2DS.
These work on the n3DS, n3DSXL, and n2DSXL but not so much on the old 3DS series.

@TurdPooCharger
I tried and this are the results:
- Sanyo save type freezes
- Europan Fire Red works, but it's in english
- Pokemon Leaf Green (Italian) doesn't wok and it freezes

so the problems are the italian roms, oof

EDIT: I have the original cartridge, but I can't dump it so I can't find a working rom I thinkg

Last edited by Shomy,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pump the chocolate into my veins