Hacking NSP Vs XCI

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
which one of these is better? from my understanding, nsp is downloadable titles and xci is retail? and, sx os is the only thing capable of using xci? I don't know if I want to buy one of those just yet. I tried looking for information about this, and I found a thread about the fact that roms don't need to be trimmed, etc for nsp's. what exactly are the pros and cons though? 'cause I'm about to download my entire switch collection. also, would it be better for me to dump my own games? I'm sorry if this has been asked before. I couldn't find any info on this in the stickies by doing a quick search for nsp. thanks.

Reploid

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
If you not sure to buy SX or not, then don't. Currently XCI support is the only real advantage. Otherwise both NSP and XCI have their prons and cons. I tend to use NSP more, even tho I'm on SX myself.

Reactions: godreborn

aerios169

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
If you aren’t banned the use XCi is a less chance of ban, if is the contrary the use NSP, in theory is better than xci the problem is that is easily detected by nity

Last edited by aerios169,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
.XCI is file format for Nintendo Switch cartridge dumps while .NSP is the file format for installable Nintendo Switch packages. While .XCI has the convenience of drag-and-drop, .NSP is arguably the superior format for the purposes of piracy as it can not only be used to install games but updates, DLC, and homebrew. When it comes to getting banned, there is a theoretical advantage to using .XCI's versus .NSP files but regardless of whichever you use, both can get you banned if they are used online (not to mention that .NSP only bans have been far and few between while there are plenty of .XCI only bans).

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll probably keep my main system stock and just buy a banned system for purposes of piracy; it seems like too much of a headache trying not to get banned. :)

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll probably keep my main system stock and just buy a banned system for purposes of piracy; it seems like too much of a headache trying not to get banned. :)

Not a bad idea, since you can always update system firmware using ChoiDujourNX, I have considered getting a third unit lol, even though I have one for main use and one sitting at 1.0.0.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was on 4.1, but I couldn't redeem my xc 2 dlc without updating. I sat on that firmware for several months when I decided that it wasn't worth waiting. I actually posted another question thread on here about whether or not these download codes expired. I updated anyway. ;)

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can play xci files online if you inject a cert from another cartridge
While you can do this only with .XCI files, it is objectively proven that Nintendo can detect such a modification, flag said user, and eventually ban that person. Even if there are users who are not banned yet for doing so, it does not disprove the users who were banned for doing so mostly because the checks are conducted using the respective Title IDs of the certificate and .XCI

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was on 4.1, but I couldn't redeem my xc 2 dlc without updating. I sat on that firmware for several months when I decided that it wasn't worth waiting. I actually posted another question thread on here about whether or not these download codes expired. I updated anyway. ;)

I am actually playing that too, so much contents, Im like 350 hours in lol

Last edited by Hayato213,

Scitzo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Basically xci vs nsp comes down to two things:

1) Convenience.
and
2) Ability to attempt to hide pirating.

To expand: 1) Its more convenient to use the xci factor for a multitude of reasons. You can more readily see what games are on a card, switch them out faster, etc. Especially after something such as a nand restore, it is just more convenient.

2) stealth of pirating boils down to the fact that it is far easier to make an xci appear legit (by injecting your own legit cert) than it is to try to fool ninty with nsp's. I wont get into the details, but ninty has -far- more ability to instantly tell an nsp is pirated vs a properly certed xci

LordRahl72

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Basically xci vs nsp comes down to two things:

1) Convenience.
and
2) Ability to attempt to hide pirating.

To expand: 1) Its more convenient to use the xci factor for a multitude of reasons. You can more readily see what games are on a card, switch them out faster, etc. Especially after something such as a nand restore, it is just more convenient.

2) stealth of pirating boils down to the fact that it is far easier to make an xci appear legit (by injecting your own legit cert) than it is to try to fool ninty with nsp's. I wont get into the details, but ninty has -far- more ability to instantly tell an nsp is pirated vs a properly certed xci

Actually, I find it more convenient to use NSP since once installed you don't need to go in and swap out XCI every time you want to play a different game. With NSP all you need to do is click the game icon and off you go.

That being said, if not yet banned XCI is definitely the way to go. After banned then move over to the more convenient NSP.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.