Hacking Question NSP Update (versions and file sizes question)

silvershadow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey,

I did several updates over the span of a few weeks, and i noticed that for some games the update i got earlier was 900mb, and then a new update was 400mb.

Does that mean that they made things more efficient or something?

i was always under the impression that you only ever need the Base Game, and the Latest update, but seeing the file size for a newer update being smaller than an older update made me feel like i'm loosing some game data.

Anyone know for sure?

Thanks in advanced.

I guess even if the latest update is smaller, it should still be okay, because if someone was to come along now, they would not get that older update, they would only get the latest.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Every update is separate and doesn't contain data from previous updates. So if you want to to get to the latest version of a game, you can't just install the latest update; you need to install all of the updates (although the order doesn't matter too much).

gizmomelb

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Every update is separate and doesn't contain data from previous updates. So if you want to to get to the latest version of a game, you can't just install the latest update; you need to install all of the updates (although the order doesn't matter too much).

umm I don't think that is correct.. that was the whole issue with the CDNSP upates NOT containing the deltas and that was fixed a few weeks ago.

Generally I find most updates are larger with each version, but some are slightly smaller which I can only attribute to better data compaction, maybe content was removed etc.

bundat

¿
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

umm I don't think that is correct.. that was the whole issue with the CDNSP upates NOT containing the deltas and that was fixed a few weeks ago.

nope, latest update is all you need for 3ds
and it should be the same for all systems

So which is it really? :P

Also when was this CDNSP "delta-issue" fixed? I had been downloading updates in Bob 4.0 and 4.1, but hadn't installed them yet as I am not yet done with the games I am playing now... it'd suck to know I just have broken updates stored for later.

gizmomelb

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
So which is it really? :P

Also when was this CDNSP "delta-issue" fixed? I had been downloading updates in Bob 4.0 and 4.1, but hadn't installed them yet as I am not yet done with the games I am playing now... it'd suck to know I just have broken updates stored for later.

delta issue with updates was discovered sometime between Bob 4.0 and 4.1

wiiando

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That's not right, you select which update you want, not installing one by one, I know because I've installed the latest updates, you're theory is debunked too with the actual official firmware, say if a update is available from when you first get a game but there have been 3 or 4 updates before the latest update, the switch will download the latest update, not previous updates then the latest, that would take hours upon hours for some games.

bundat

¿
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
delta issue with updates was discovered sometime between Bob 4.0 and 4.1
Any more details regarding this bug?
Are the update NSPs downloaded when this bug was present broken? i.e. latest update does not include past updates?
What exactly is "broken"?

I've got a huge mixed bag of update NSPs downloaded with Bob 4.0 and 4.1, and it'd suck to have to install and check each one :/

Thandor

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Found my first update that is smaller:

Minecraft [UPD] [524288] 823,66 MB (1.6.0)
Minecraft [UPD] [589824] 490,91 MB (1.6.1)

So compression thing or do I really need both?

Tinnetju

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I can't find a clear answer anywhere either, the switch only shows 1 version of a game too so it doesn't seem to be keeping track of other versions in between.

Zedroid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I saw a thread where the Kirby Star Allies (version 3.0.0) [base 0 + update 262144] *** Update July 27, 2018 *** base game was included with an older update was later replaced with just the base game and the newer update only and it seemed to work for a lot of people without the older update available anymore.

Switchtime

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Sorry, I have to check again, because on every website about this topic some say yes you have to install all updates and as other say you don't have to install all updates?

Has the topic in 2020 now clarified by now?

Because it seems a bit strange to me that for some games the first update is 6GB and the last update is only 200 Mb.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, I have to check again, because on every website about this topic some say yes you have to install all updates and as other say you don't have to install all updates?

Has the topic in 2020 now clarified by now?

Because it seems a bit strange to me that for some games the first update is 6GB and the last update is only 200 Mb.
You only need the latest update.

Nynrah

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Although it's clear to me that the latest update is all you need, I'm still curious as to why some updates are so much smaller than previous update versions.

Zkajavier

Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
It's probably got to do with compression types, like nsp and nsz (just an example so it's easier to picture).

Otherwise it's just magic.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse