RELEASE NSP Update - small utility to check NSPs for updates

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by giwty, Sep 8, 2019.

1. giwty
    OP

giwty Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 8, 2019
    United States
    A small utility that lets you know if any of your NSP files have an update.
    It's a command line tool (Mac/Win/Linux), and you can use it by downloading it and running it with the path to your local NSP folder.

Download & instructions
    giwty/nsp-update on github (not allowed links as i'm a new user)

Updates:
    - Version 0.2 : updated titledb url & performance enhancements

Notes:

- Based on updates from blawar titledb repo (blawar/titledb)
    - This utility doesnt read your NSP files, but just scans the NSP file names, which means your NSP files need to contain the titleId and version

Last edited by giwty, Oct 9, 2019
    Jay Griggs, SaulFemm and hippy dave like this.
  2. masagrator

masagrator File digger

Oct 14, 2018
    Poland
    You could use hactool to get titleids in two different way:
    - by getting name of *.tik or *.cert file and taking first 16 characters
    - by unpacking lightest NCA (less than 1MB) and scanning this NCA with hactool

https://github.com/giwty/nsp-update

Last edited by masagrator, Sep 8, 2019
    andyhappypants and giwty like this.
  3. yyoossk

yyoossk Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 18, 2017
    Japan
    Is there a tutorial?
    sorry for my bud english

4. SaulFemm

SaulFemm Member

Newcomer
    Oct 25, 2018
    United States
    Very cool. I actually just finished up a very similar tool this morning. The only difference being that mine will look at a certain google drive and grab the missing updates/dlc for you. Don't know if I'll ever get mine to the point where I feel comfortable releasing it though so I'm glad this is out there.

Jonhy and afeufeufeu like this.
  5. flowlapache

flowlapache Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 7, 2010
    France
    Very nice to you to make it!! really usefull to have our games up to date!! thanks for your work!

6. Vandes

Vandes Member

Newcomer
    Jul 12, 2014
    Italy
    Thanks for the nice tool!

However your Windows build doesn't work. It doesn't parse the JSON files correctly, probably because it was built for 32bit architecture. MacOS version works fine.
    I've recompiled the program for Windows, MacOS and Linux using amd64 architecture, tested and working on all 3 OSs. Please include these builds in your releases or recompile them correctly.

I've also PRed some usage and building instructions on your repo, if you want to accept it :D

Attached Files:

ber71 and giwty like this.
  7. giwty
    OP

giwty Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 8, 2019
    United States
    Thanks @Vandes for PR and the builds! i only have mac, so that makes sense...
    I've updated the tool to use the new titledb file location, and now use etag to ensure the file is always updated.
    Enjoy

8. JohNex

JohNex Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2019
    United States
    Amazing work @giwty thanks a lot for taking the time to do this. Do you think you can do an addition if your time allows and is technically possible? It would be amazing if your tool could scan XCI files and find missing updates and DLCs, as you know a lot of people is using custom XCI files with updates and DLC in the same file. Another question, do you think your current tool version also works with DLCs or just updates? thanks again

Last edited by JohNex, Oct 9, 2019
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted