Hacking Question NSP Installation Method Not Requiring Double Space

bluedart

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello. I'd like to find out if there is a way to install an NSP on CFW without requiring double the space on the microSD card, as one needs the full NSP file to install with something like tinfoil/goldleaf. Recently, I've tried both methods of USB installation, but as these methods are crashy and unreliable (admittedly and in-practice), USB installation is not a solution that will work. I have a 128GB card, and mostly delete games when I'm done with them. However, I was wondering if there is an option with Goldleaf or some other, recently-updated homebrew, that allows the NSP to be deleted as it is installed instead of hard-requiring double the space. I believe I've heard talk of network-installation; if this is fast enough to not multiply install time by a factor of 3 or more, then I'd be interested. Mostly curious for the future, since I have a good amount of space free right now.

Thank you for your time and responses.

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Or from USB, either docked with the USB Stick in the Dock, or directly into the console with either any OTG adapter or a stick that has a USB-C plug itself.

Edit: nvm, you ruled USB out. No idea what your issue is, works absolutely perfect for me. Maybe get another stick or hard-drive, whatever you're using may be broken.

Last edited by wurstpistole,

bluedart

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or from USB, either docked with the USB Stick in the Dock, or directly into the console with either any OTG adapter or a stick that has a USB-C plug itself.

Edit: nvm, you ruled USB out. No idea what your issue is, works absolutely perfect for me. Maybe get another stick or hard-drive, whatever you're using may be broken.
My problem with USB is that it simply fails to work more often than not. Goldleaf even states this is "experimental" and that it "sometimes doesn't work", which is absolutely correct. Goldleaf seems only capable of communicating with a PC, not a usb drive while in docked mode. (I just tried it.) Are there other programs that are capable of this?

For those talking about something called "Fluffy." I found it here, and it seems like it may be a way to install over the network that may work to my specifications. I'll look into that. Thanks.

wiiando

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Network installs, aren't worth the time or effort less than 10mb/s, still need to be at a pc/laptop too, no issue with goldleaf and goldtree for usb installs, get constant 32-45mb/s, does crash from time to time, close goldleaf, reopen, restart goldtree.

Sounds more like going the XCI route with SX OS is the best option for you, IMO anyway

bluedart

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for all your input, I have settled on Fluffy, which after setting it up works perfectly. You have to do some python muckery and use a special version of tinfoil they provide, but it seems to be working properly with USB install now, which is also way faster than my previous setup for multiple reasons. Thanks again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Que dices?