Hacking NSMBW Mod ISO Builder v1.00

CuriousG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but it creates the WBFS file and it is the exact same size as the ISO I had found that I converted to WBFS. When using USB Loader GX it sees the image size as 0 and I think CFG USB Loader just reboots. v1.0 works fine but I wanted to update it to v1.01. Originally tried to use the SMNP01.WBFS file to convert to ISO to create the Newer image but when that failed, I also tried using v1.02 (I guess that's V2?) ISO image.

Somewhere during the build process you can see it say it couldn't find a file with these settings:

==============Review Settings=============
Selected NSMBW Mod: Newer
Selected Base Version: AUTO
Selected Output Filetype: wbfs
Selected Save "Slot": KMNx-Custom
Download Custom Banner: No, use existing
+Patched: [T1] addr 801af5d0+04, offset 1ab610: 94 21... -> 4e 80...
+Patched: [T1] addr 801d2d13+01, offset 1ced53: da -> 71
+Patched: [T1] addr 801d2d2b+01, offset 1ced6b: da -> 71
* Save patched DOL to: nsmb.d/sys/main.dol
The system cannot find the file specified.
wit: Wiimms ISO Tool v2.22c r4523 cygwin - Dirk Clemens - 2013-06-29
1 object scanned, 1 supported file found.
* COPY/SCRUB 1/1 ?:nsmb.d -> WBFS:../Newer SMBW [SMNE03]/SMNE03.wbfs
854 MiB copied in 0:58, 14.6 MiB/sec
=========
All done!
=========

GreyRogue

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Somewhere during the build process you can see it say it couldn't find a file with these settings:

==============Review Settings=============
Selected NSMBW Mod: Newer
Selected Base Version: AUTO
Selected Output Filetype: wbfs
Selected Save "Slot": KMNx-Custom
Download Custom Banner: No, use existing
+Patched: [T1] addr 801af5d0+04, offset 1ab610: 94 21... -> 4e 80...
+Patched: [T1] addr 801d2d13+01, offset 1ced53: da -> 71
+Patched: [T1] addr 801d2d2b+01, offset 1ced6b: da -> 71
* Save patched DOL to: nsmb.d/sys/main.dol
The system cannot find the file specified.
wit: Wiimms ISO Tool v2.22c r4523 cygwin - Dirk Clemens - 2013-06-29
1 object scanned, 1 supported file found.
* COPY/SCRUB 1/1 ?:nsmb.d -> WBFS:../Newer SMBW [SMNE03]/SMNE03.wbfs
854 MiB copied in 0:58, 14.6 MiB/sec
=========
All done!
=========

The missing file is probably the custom banner. That's probably not your issue.

EDIT: Did you read wiimm's response carefully. If you're creating the wbfs file it's not supposed to be the same size. The original is <400 MiB. The message says the created file is 854 MiB. Are you sure you're looking at the right spot? The ISO might be the same size, but I thought I remembered somebody saying there were issues with the ISOs.

markehmus

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
dont use a copy of the original disk image that has been converted from iso to wbfs and back
if your using v1.02 select it instead of auto.

are you sure the "The system cannot find the file specified" is the banner and not the v1.02.iso ?

CuriousG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The missing file is probably the custom banner. That's probably not your issue.

EDIT: Did you read wiimm's response carefully. If you're creating the wbfs file it's not supposed to be the same size. The original is <400 MiB. The message says the created file is 854 MiB. Are you sure you're looking at the right spot? The ISO might be the same size, but I thought I remembered somebody saying there were issues with the ISOs.

I've also used v1.0 of the ISO builder and it gave me the same missing file so I don't believe it is the custom banner since it was not introduced yet. The same size I'm referring to is the .WBFS file from the working ISO converted to WBFS and the non-working image. And the ISO conversion is bigger because it contains all the necessary files from Newer plus NSMB. People here seem to be confused about the ISO. I know it doesn't boot which is another why it is converted to WBFS once I have the 4+GB image.

markehmus

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
And the ISO conversion is bigger because it contains all the necessary files from Newer plus NSMB. People here seem to be confused about the ISO.

all .iso work great with v1 or v2 of nsmb ... if they don't then i'm just that much better then you , cuz the .iso is the shit here at my house on three different wii' , each kid has played without flaw and i have played many levels too ... only from iso but tested .wbfs a few times too

GreyRogue

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've also used v1.0 of the ISO builder and it gave me the same missing file so I don't believe it is the custom banner since it was not introduced yet. The same size I'm referring to is the .WBFS file from the working ISO converted to WBFS and the non-working image. And the ISO conversion is bigger because it contains all the necessary files from Newer plus NSMB. People here seem to be confused about the ISO. I know it doesn't boot which is another why it is converted to WBFS once I have the 4+GB image.
The missing file is the banner. You should get that message if you choose no download and you haven't put one in your banners folder. It's generated by this line:
copy /b banners\%GAMEID%.bnr nsmb.d\files\opening.bnr
It's right where it should be after the AP patch, before the wbfs generation. If you doubt this, you can download the banner or delete the line above from the batch file, and it will go away.

How are you generating the ISO? The log you posted shows you generating a wbfs, not the iso. Also from the readme
Known Issue:
.iso output seems to be bugged for some people, the resulting .iso is good for use
by backup manager to transfer to USB HDD, but trying to load it directly (via burned disc,
or emulator, etc.) seems to fail, unsure why.
.wbfs output file seems to work perfectly though.

So there are possible issues with ISOs (although it says it should work on the wii if generated correctly). Why don't you just use the wbfs. I know USB Loader GX supports them. It should be 854 MiB when generated, not 4GiB.

EDIT: Also 4GB is the max file size for FAT file systems. You might have run into an isue with that.

CuriousG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The missing file is the banner. You should get that message if you choose no download and you haven't put one in your banners folder. It's generated by this line:
copy /b banners\%GAMEID%.bnr nsmb.d\files\opening.bnr
It's right where it should be after the AP patch, before the wbfs generation. If you doubt this, you can download the banner or delete the line above from the batch file, and it will go away.

How are you generating the ISO? The log you posted shows you generating a wbfs, not the iso. Also from the readme
Known Issue:
.iso output seems to be bugged for some people, the resulting .iso is good for use
by backup manager to transfer to USB HDD, but trying to load it directly (via burned disc,
or emulator, etc.) seems to fail, unsure why.
.wbfs output file seems to work perfectly though.

So there are possible issues with ISOs (although it says it should work on the wii if generated correctly). Why don't you just use the wbfs. I know USB Loader GX supports them. It should be 854 MiB when generated, not 4GiB.

EDIT: Also 4GB is the max file size for FAT file systems. You might have run into an isue with that.

I checked again with the banner file and you are correct. I could've swore that it reported the same message on the NSMBW_Mod_ISO_Builder_v1.00.zip file.

There seems to be some confusion as to the ISO. The ISO I'm referring to is the original New Super Mario Bros Wii reference ISO that is needed to generate the Newer Super Mario Bros Wii ISO or WBFS file. I have always generated output file as WBFS as that's how all my games are stored. Running on 500GB HD formatted FAT32.

On another note, I thought perhaps the NewerSMBW.zip file was bad or corrupt. I downloaded another copy of the file and when I did the MD5sum they didn't match. Not only that, the webpage that has the is MD5 hash: 233dd76cc8df92460752ed05e1dc023a and certainly doesn't match either of the two copies I have now. So unless I'm calculating the hash wrong, there appears to be another problem. Perhaps the hash isn't generated from the ZIP file?

I'm also running on 3.2U which Newer Super Mario Bros Wii v1.0 ISO I found (converted to WBFS) works fine so I don't think that's an issue.

MassiveRican

GBATemp's Unofficial Vigilante
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm not sure if this has been changed in the most recent versions, but is there anyway to have the built ISO have a different save file icon than the NSMBW file. It's really nice that you can save the two separately, but it would also be nice if it was easy to distinguish between the two.
+1 for this, any thread with a tut on how to change save game icons as well? Any help appreciated thanks.

EDIT: To take this a step further it wouldn't it be neat if the program itself allowed you to change the savegame icon during game creation? TBH I have no idea how complicated something like this would be, but I do know that WIT/WIIMMS tools do it all :D

Maybe pointing to a folder with the images needed to create the save game icon or something and then replacing the right files in the ISO. Anyways it's just a thought if anyone else is interested. This program is already badass as it is, but it would be nice to be able to differentiate between your save files ;)

markehmus

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
+1 for this, any thread with a tut on how to change save game icons as well? Any help appreciated thanks.

EDIT: To take this a step further it wouldn't it be neat if the program itself allowed you to change the savegame icon during game creation? TBH I have no idea how complicated something like this would be, but I do know that WIT/WIIMMS tools do it all :D

Maybe pointing to a folder with the images needed to create the save game icon or something and then replacing the right files in the ISO. Anyways it's just a thought if anyone else is interested. This program is already badass as it is, but it would be nice to be able to differentiate between your save files ;)

Diddy81 said:
please bare in mind im a PAL user
in the EU folder (probably US for NTSC idk )there's a folder called save_banner inside is save_banner.arc
unpack it with U8TOOL or your fave U8 prog and you find 2 bti files (save_icon.bti and save_banner_EU.bti)(guessing save_banner_US.bti for NTSC)

now make your images icon is 48x48 and banner is 192x64 i used

save_i10.png

save_b10.png

i did find a tool tga2bti that works great to convert them (be sure to use -4A3 and the tga files must not be compressed)

then repack the arc file with your fave U8 program

now on to the name and description of the save file

this is in EU\EngEU\Message\Message.arc (again guessing NTSC is US\EngUS\Message\Message.arc)
open this in a hex editor and in the PAL version at offset 0x00004BEF you see

Code:

P.l.a.y. .M.a.r.i.o. .w.i.t.h. .y.o.u.r. .f.r.i.e.n.d.s.!...N.e.w. .S.U.P.E.R. .M.A.R.I.O. .B.R.O.S... .W.i.i

edit as you wish but you must leave the dots

i changed it to this just to test
Code:
P.l.a.y. .O.l.d. .M.a.r.i.o. .w.i.t.h. .f.r.i.e.n.d.s.!. ...O.l.d. .S.U.P.E.R. .M.A.R.I.O. .B.R.O.S... .W.i.i

VampireLordAlucard said:
Heres an easier way to change the text used:
1) Open the message.arc with SZS Modifier
2) Expand message.arc, and click on wii_mj2d.bmg
3) Scroll down to the bottom, and the last two are used for the save.
4) Obviously save your changes and reuse the message.arc in the ISO. Don't worry if SZS Modifier gives an error message, it'll still work.

download apps
tga2bti
U8tools download
szs modifier download

Reactions: MassiveRican

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Threw together a custom save icon for US ISO's
SAVE_BANNER.png
SAVE_ICON.png

:D

I'll post how you can use it conveniently when I figure that out myself. :/
If I just put the file with the correct path inside the "newersmbw" folder, will the patcher build the ISO with this custom file in it?* Or am I gonna have to do some complicated XML editing to make the patcher drop the file in the ISO? I'm gonna try it now. If it comes to complex XML editing, I guess i'll look into it more, but I'd appreciate if someone could help out with that bit.

EDIT: Did the message data with SZS Modifier :D Here is the US Folder with the updated files for Newer. I still don't know if the Patcher will do this new folder when building the new ISO, but I'm about to find out.

EDIT 2: Nope.* Looks Like Damysteryman will have to patch it in himself if he want's these save banners to be in the ISO version.

Easy way to use this for the time being till someone makes it part of the patcher
1. Wait for the ISO builder to finish extracting the original ISO (once the cmd box starts scrolling like crazy, that means that it already finished extracting the original ISO)
2. Open the "nsmb.d" folder then open "files"
3. Copy/Paste my US folder from the zip below over the original one before the patcher starts rebuilding (It's rebuilding when it stops scrolling again and you see a percentage start going)

I'd look into adding it into the bat myself, but I'm too lazy for that, and I already achieved my desired effect through that method.

EDIT 3: I can confirm that the images are indeed working properly too. :D
See?
ivq.jpg

ivp.jpg

EDIT 4: Upon some closer inspection, it seems the message text is actually located in another folder entirely for Newer- anyway. It's save text is loaded from the files/message/message.arc file which is actually a heavily modified file by NewerTeam. ^_^ So I guess I don't need to include it, since the text is already changed.

Attachments

• US.zip
    7.3 KB · Views: 169

damysteryman

I am too busy IRL these days...
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
OK, back again. Managed to add Epic Super Bowser World support. For ESBW though, normally you need to use the included riivolution save to actually be at world 8, but now, like normal you start stuck at world 1, however, now it has an extra patch that unlocks all world to get past this limitation.

Changelog:
Code:
v1.03
- added support for Epic Super Bowser World
- cleaned up batch file some more
- more verbose messages in batch script
- added a check to make sure .bnr file is not a 0 byte corrupt empty file
- added links as references to which downloads were used to support each Mod
- added missing cygiconv-2.dll for wget to package

Also, I DID try to get Retro Remix support put in, using the download from danch744's post, however, it would never work for me at all... always corrupted my ISO at wrist strap screen... so therefore I am not going to be able to add support for RR in the meantime. (The code for RR is still in the batch script for now, but not used)

Maybe I should just stick to supporting only mods that need MORE than just file replacement? (such as these riivolution style mods)

Also, if someone wants to provide a save_banner.arc for me to support, I could add it to the builder. However, the banner must not represent just one Mod, but rather, 6 supported mods at once before I add it, since they would all use the same slot (KMNx). Also, not sure if we would need just one save_banner.arc, or a separate one from each region.

First post has been updated with new download links.

damysteryman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Shadow#1
Ah ok then (I saw what it was and was about to reply about it :lol: )

Anyone else getting .dll errors when using custom banner downloads?
If so, could you please try replacing wit\wget.exe... with this copy of wget.exe?

Just want people to try that before adding it to an update.

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WORDS WORDS
Also, if someone wants to provide a save_banner.arc for me to support, I could add it to the builder. However, the banner must not represent just one Mod, but rather, 6 supported mods at once before I add it, since they would all use the same slot (KMNx). Also, not sure if we would need just one save_banner.arc, or a separate one from each region.

First post has been updated with new download links.

I've been meaning to mention that, Actually, This is kind of dumb IMO. Is it possible to have each game have it's own slot?
Even if there is no auto detect for what mod it is and you just have to key 1-6 for what save ID's to use. This would be 100% worth it in my opinion. It's annoying to have to share save slots with several games. (Even if the actual data is still seperate)

I think this would be the best setup, personally. How about these?

KMNx = Newer
KMSx = Summer Sun
KMHx = Holiday
KMAx = Another
KMCx = Cannon
KMEx = Epic Super Bowser

I can create all the save banners for all regions if you want, but it'll take a bit of time. Maybe an hour or so.

damysteryman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I think that would work actually. However, the main issue then would be people wanting to use their existing saves with an updated generated ISO with different ID. Perhaps I will add it as a third "save" option in the builder. And no rush on the save_banner.arc files, I will prolly be gone for the next 12 or so hours anyway. (logging off after this post)

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol, The guy from the like above with the save icons and such literally just took the banner I made and changed it slightly to include it with his package. Haha. Oh well, who cares ^_^

Guess I'll just take his save images, they're the same as what I was going to do anyway. Haha.

KMNx = Newer Super Mario Bros. Wii
6ro.png
SAVE_ICON.png

KMSx = Newer Summer Sun Special
gpby.png
tda2.png

KMHx = Newer Holiday Special
rmn4.png
k1.png

KMAx = Another Super Mario Bros. Wii
j6pg.png
o0gp.png

KMCx = Cannon Super Mario Bros. Wii
784.png
g7or.png

KMEx = Epic Super Bowser World
ESBWtitle.png
8uuy.png

Did all the imaging, just need to convert all to BTI and U8 compress with correct file names for each region. Once I do, Download links up the wazoo.

Reactions: MassiveRican

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol