NSMB Hacks?

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Costello, Mar 24, 2008.

Mar 24, 2008

NSMB Hacks? by Costello at 10:05 PM (5,004 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. Costello
    OP

Administrator Costello Headmaster

Hello,

I've heard about this wonderful piece of software called "NSMB editor" (can be found here: http://treeki.googlepages.com/ )
    Now I've come to wonder if it's possible to edit multiplayer levels. Or maybe to find a patch that already has edited/custom multiplayer levels.

NSMB multiplayer (with shaun) was the funniest game I've ever played.
    I wept with laughter so many times while playing it, that was one of the best play times of my life.

Now the only downside was the lack of levels. 5 is clearly not enough when you play the same levels for 2 hours every day.
    I'm going to be on a 2.5 weeks trip with shaun so we would be quite glad to be able to play other levels [​IMG]

If you have any information or know any way to do so, please post here!

Thanks [​IMG]

2. test84

Member test84 GBAtemp's last ninja 2.

Iran
    sorry I dont know anything about it but I was happy to hear that you guys enjoying.

3. Harpuia

Member Harpuia GBAtemp Fan

United States
    What's NSMB?

4. br0pbr0p

Newcomer br0pbr0p Member

Canada
    New Super Mario Brothers

5. TSPhoenix

Member TSPhoenix GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    This would be my premier request for the editor too, NSMB's multiplayer is the most fun I've ever had in a 2P VS situation, and it certainly beats out most of Mario's other multiplayer games.

6. Costello
    OP

glad you agree on this [​IMG]

I think I better ask the author of the NSMB editor, maybe he knows a way to edit the multiplayer levels.
    I'll invite him to our boards!

7. JPH

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    Ah, me and my brother have had some fun times with NSMB playing multiplayer.

Really do wish that Nintendo would have added more levels, options, and possibly Wi-Fi to the multiplayer game :

8. Dylaan

Member Dylaan GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Yep, multi-player on the pipes level with mega mushrooms! [​IMG] The ice/snow level is fun too with blue shells... I reckon it's amazing that someone actually made a level editor, something I could never do.

9. test84

Iran
    When There Is A Will, There Is A Way - Tidus (from Final Fantasy X)

10. Bob Evil

Member Bob Evil The Department of Home-Made Insecurity

United Kingdom
    Actually, I believe it was famous critic Pauline Kael who first said that.

11. test84

Iran
    And I was the last!

12. Tanks

Newcomer Tanks Advanced Member

United States
    Oh! Renewed interest in NSMB hacking I see... [​IMG]

If you guys don't remember me, I'm Tanks, one of the guys working on New Retro Mario Bros.

Anyway, My ultimate goal in this project is, infact, to have a kick ass multiplayer hack. Now to answer the question, Yes, you can. I have not tested when multiplayer is run, but theoretically, if you and a friend both have the hacked ROM, then you can play the hacked levels against each other.

As for the download play levels, they're contained within .narc files. Unless we can get a better .narc decrypter and compiler, we'll never be able to get anywhere with those. It is my guess though that the files inside the .narc mimic those of the actual multiplayer.

EDIT:

And Costello, the guy is a bit shy... (He's actually 13 now, but he coded the editor at twelve...) If you need to get in contact with him, just ask me or Sonicandtails, another NSMB hacker and member of this board.

13. Costello
    OP

Yes I have no doubt this would work, but I don't know how to technically edit the multiplayer levels.
    The editor only seems to edit normal (single player) level files.
    Maybe if I replaced the single player level files with multiplayer levels, the editor would let me edit them, but I don't really know where to start.

14. deufeufeu

Member deufeufeu GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Cote d'Ivoire
    Can you follow your assumption and give the filename of the aforementioned narc files ?
    EDIT : sorry I've found them...

15. Costello
    OP

Following my previous post, I can't seem to find the multiplayer level files anyway. [​IMG]

16. Tanks

Newcomer Tanks Advanced Member

United States
    They should be at the bottom of the list of levels to select. They're marked as "World 10-*insert level number here*." The multiplayer levels should be the first ones on the list. (I believe the first six) The ones under those could be the beta levels... not entirely sure though...

If you need any help with use of the editor - It has a few a lot of bugs still :/ - you might want to consult the "new retro mario bros?" thread. I mentioned a few things on how to save objects correctly.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope you don't consider this advertising or anything, but I've got a little blog open that I'm running with Sonicandtails for the hack. We'll be updating people on our hack from there, as well as here and on another forum. I'm doing this in this thread because I don't want to bump an old thread. I'm also being a bit lazy and am not creating a new one... [​IMG]

Anyway, here's the link...

http://tanks.110mb.com/

17. Treeki

Member Treeki GBAtemp Regular

Gibraltar
    I'm the coder of the editor and probably the only one who's ever hacked NSMB in as in-depth.. Seeing my old editor makes me ashamed. @_@ It's really badly coded, full of bugs and random problems. And made in Visual Basic 6.

I was working on a C# remake. which doesn't do much, just loads a bgdat file (level background object data extracted from the ROM) and lets you view it, zooming in/out. If I use it I'll probably rewrite it, not much was done and my C# skills have vastly improved since then. I haven't worked on it in a while but I might if Tanks keeps pestering me.