Hacking NSMB freezes in 1-2 every time

dooshbag

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hopefully I didn't miss someone's solution to this. Hopefully I will contribute enough info that someone will be able to help. Hopefully this won't get deleted because it's asking about NSMB.

I have a wii. I'm running off of a USB drive. I want to play New Super Mario Brothers Wii. But I am frustrated.

EVERY time, as soon as I go down the warp pipe in world 1-2, the screen goes black, and the Wii freezes.

about my Wii:
it has a wiikey in it.
I updated to 4.1 at some point
Cios14
preloader

I use WBFS Manager 3.0 to manage my drive.

Things I've tried (many combinations of the following):
cios14&15
latest wiiflow, latest neogamma, latest usbloader gx, latest uloader, any of which I've been told will run it
IOS53 patched and unpatched
three different hard drives
PAL and NTSC versions, patched and unpatched, whole isos and scrubbed isos

It doesn't matter what I do. Every cursed time, as soon as I go down that pipe, the screen goes black, and my Wii ceases responding.

I thought I was reasonably competent. Now I'm doubting myself.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would love to give them a shot. At this point, it's no longer about playing the game, but about winning.

Thanks.

ziddey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
verify that you do indeed have the latest usb loader gx.

i've never tried waninkoko's cios with nsmbw personally. pretty much everything works fantastic with hermes v4 cios38+60 for me, so eh.

but if the game loads... then it sounds like you're not patching properly.

for me I simply loaded the unmodified iso to my drive and used a supporting version of usb loader gx, and that's it.

dooshbag

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Using today's build, r838. Game loads just fine. I can rush through 1-1, or take my time. Play it again if I like. But if I move on to 1-2, black screen once I go down the pipe.

to rizzod: I've tried four different dumps.

It has to be something with my wii. It's too consistent across dumps, loaders, ioses. I just don't know what.

parwii

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello. This is my first post, I signed up specifically to reply to you. I have spent a few days trying to get NSMB working as well. I have the same setup:
4.2u
wiikey v1 (original/hologram)

First, I just made a backup and tried it out, I'd get disc read errors (black screen restart the wii). Then I tried to patch my backup, but I would still get the DRE. Then I followed this AWESOME guide: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=171901, as well as reading the noob starter guide. I used modify.zip to do the softmod. This was maybe 2 days ago.

After I installed the softmod, I tried using various loaders to load the disc, all result in DRE. Then I tried it from USB. Neogamma r8 beta would green screen, usb loader gx, wiiflow, coverfloader, cfg usb loader would all freeze. No dre, just lock up. Usually in 1-2, when I would try to go down a pipe. I began associating the freeze with 'transitions', like a pipe, next level, power up (froze after getting a star once.)

Then I installed the latest cIOS that the thread linked above added today. I would still get freezes. THEN! I installed Hermes cIOS 222 and 223. I am not sure what I had there before (probably Waninkoko's). I also added a code to my 'codes' dir in my SD card root. Based on this post: http://wiinewz.com/forums/601058-post1.html

QUOTE said:
5) We'll set you up now so you don't have to go back to your computer anymore. Create a folder now on the root of your SD card named "codes". Go to http://www.mediafire.com/?mmddyyutzzj download the file, and place it into the folder you just created named "codes". This file will allow you to boot the game without updating your console, and will work around the error people are getting where the games stops a few minutes into the game.

I added the file mentioned to my codes dir: http://www.mediafire.com/?mmddyyutzzj
Edit: This is the hermes cios installer I used: http://filetrip.net/f8367-hermes-cIOS-2222...nstaller-4.html
and I followed these instructions: http://www.wiihacks.com/wii-custom-softwar...ios-v4-out.html

At this point, to much of my frustration, I would still get freezing from USB loading. But then I had a thought to go back to the patched backup disc (dvd-r, burned nero 20x).

I decided to try it out. I loaded the disc using neogamma and to my surprise it WORKS! I am almost through with map 2 (2-x). Been playing for a while. No problems yet. Hope this helps.

edit: am now half way through map 3, this game is pretty sweet 8)

parwii

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
flufficus said:
Your post was really helpful to me parwii. Thanks.

thanks flufficus. I could not find many posts regarding my exact setup and problems, and so I thought I would share how I got it working. I also saw many posts which stated I would need to load from USB but for me I ended up getting it working by loading from disc, so I thought my experience would be worth sharing.

gamersclub

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
danspage.tk
XP
Country
Canada
TrushInfo your last few posts have been complaining. Less Troll more help. Try not to obtain higher levels of troll in the future. Due to having a Wiikey it tells people NOT to use a patched disc. This actually is useful to know you can. The experience was worth sharing, thank you
biggrin.gif

parwii

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I figured trushinfo was just hating. I spent a lot of time reading guides all over the net (a lot of great ones on this forum!), and I don't recall any of them telling me to use the patched disc (or even a disc in most cases) if I had a wiikey. I didn't even expect it to work when I went to try it, but it did and I am still pretty pleased about that. I noticed others with wiikey experiencing my problems and I understood their frustration.

edited for posterity

ELY_M

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just use original unpatched iso and geckos 1.9.3 and fix protection cheat code.
Let geckos install ios 53 for the first time.

Reactions: loler55

e143slime8

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
help!!!!!!

Not wanting to sound like a newbie but if the shoe fits I guess.

Have D2cpro chipped wii and original .iso of NSMB. Trying to run on Wii with SD card and supposedly the necessary NeoGamma and Code folder on the SD card. However when I start up the wii and look in the SD folder, nothing is showing. I've tried powering down and up again with no change.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

slimer8

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1